PDA

View Full Version : So I pulled half the muscles in my back...

Mystikal
27th May 2009, 04:34 PM
and it hurts. :/

I've been trying to meditate a little, but it's hard - the pain, while not _too_ bad, seems to push my mind towards a "racing" state where I get far more random chattery thoughts appearing than is usual. Occasionally I've found myself in a similar state when half-asleep, and it's quite uncomfortable until I fully wake up, but it's not so easy to get out of that state this time.

CFTraveler
27th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Forgive me if I asked this before- are you reclining for meditating?
When I was having bad back troubles I did the full-body circuit on my recliner and it helped me a lot.

I will send you some healing energy also.

ButterflyWoman
27th May 2009, 05:54 PM
Ah. I've done the back thing. I've done a LOT of pain things, actually. Here's a true story from about, oh, twelve or fourteen years ago, probably.

I had a toothache the likes of which I cannot find words to describe. It was on a molar and it was so painful I was almost blinded by it. At the time, I was living alone and severely agoraphobic (which is another story entirely) and even if I weren't, I didn't have any money or any dental insurance.

After about the third day of excruciating pain, during which time I got very little sleep, I went to lie down on the couch in an effort to maybe get a nap in. As I was lying there, I became aware of Divine presence, which said to me: Embrace the pain. I thought that was pretty stupid advice, but after three days I was desperate, so I tried it, and I found that if I relaxed and stopped resisting and just allowed the pain to be what it was and stopped judging it and struggling against it and so on, it stopped being "pain" and started being just a very strong sensation. I did, in fact, fall asleep as I was doing this and got some decent rest, and when I woke up, the pain was receding, and the infection was completely gone in a couple of days after that.

I have since done this with all kinds of pain, including back pain (I injured a muscle in my lower back when I was a young teenager, and I've had trouble with it ever since!), and it works. It works with emotional pain, too, just for the record.

I actually regard it as a kind of meditation in and of itself, because you have to step outside of your usual "self" in order to effectively do this.

Whether or not this will be of any help to you, I don't know, but I thought I'd offer.

Oh, also, heat compresses do wonders for a sore back. I use wheat filled ones because I just like the way they feel, but you can use an electric one if you've got one around, or a hot water bottle will work, as well, though it can be tricky to position it so you're comfortable (I use a hot water bottle only when I'm in a recliner).

Sending you healing thoughts, at any rate.

Mystikal
27th May 2009, 06:21 PM
CTF: Right now, mostly sitting or standing, since lying down hurts more. Standing feels the best, but when I do manage to get into a bit of a trance state, I start losing my balance and have to sit down. It's hard to get energy flowing, but it does seem to help, so I'll keep trying.

OlderWiser: I do think embracing pain is a very good idea. I regularly do it with smaller pains, but this one hit me hard enough that I didn't think of it.

...actually, being reminded of that seemed to help a lot. Suddenly, my mind feels calmer and my body doesn't hurt as much (or at least it's not as unpleasant to feel the pain). I guess I just needed a little nudge to push my mind into that track. Now I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't manage to get into this state on my own... but mostly happy. :)

I have been using a heat compress, and taking hot showers. They're nice, but this is better.

Thanks for all the healing energies, too. :)

ButterflyWoman
27th May 2009, 11:29 PM
...actually, being reminded of that seemed to help a lot. Suddenly, my mind feels calmer and my body doesn't hurt as much (or at least it's not as unpleasant to feel the pain). I guess I just needed a little nudge to push my mind into that track.)
I'm glad to have been of help. :) Still sending those healing thoughts your way, too.

Beekeeper
28th May 2009, 11:21 AM
It works with emotional pain, too, just for the record.

I thought it before I read it OW. I've had more experience with this than with extremes of physical pain. Pain of all kinds can reach extremes but has its limits and then a kind of grace kicks in. It's a message too.

Hope you're continuing to mend Mystikal. Consider yoga when you're better so that you are less likely to experience such damage again.