PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Out Light Bulbs

WearsTheFire
1st June 2009, 05:28 AM
When I was in Jr. High I started having nightmares. I would immediately get out of bed and turn on the light. I would sort out the event, turn the light off, and go back to bed. That didn't work well after one particular nightmare.

In my dream it was daytime and raining. I was walking across a large green field toward a wire fence. I was almost there when I tripped. I grabbed the fence to break my fall and rudely found it had an electrical charge. I couldn't get my hands to open their grasp. Bright rays began shooting out of me and I was vibrating violently under the current. I died and Jesus came to take me with him. At that moment I woke up.

Shaken I went to turn the light on as normal. I hesitated, as I turned the switch to the on position the light burned out like I expected. After that every time I was afraid to turn on the light it would blow out. I starting staying in bed after nightmares and coming to terms with them in the dark.

Unfortunately my step dad took notice of my propensity with lights. Every time I blew out a bulb he would get hopping mad as if I did it on purpose. This made me more nervous so he produced the opposite effect concerning preserving light bulbs in our household. The best part of this phenomenon was he was the one who had to buy the light bulbs.

ButterflyWoman
1st June 2009, 08:58 AM
In my dream it was daytime and raining. I was walking across a green field that had a fence in the middle. I was almost there when I tripped. I grabbed the fence to break my fall and rudely found it had an electrical charge. I couldn't get my hands to open their grasp. Bright rays began shooting out of me and I was vibrating violently under the current. I died and Jesus came to take me with him.
Wow, a classic death-and-resurrection dream. I used to have those on occasion.

After that every time I was afraid to turn on the light it would blow out.
Well, there could be several things at play. First, some people are better at manifesting their thoughts than others, but we generally get what we expect. You expected the light to blow, you were full of emotional energy, it manifested.

Another possibility is that your agitation caused a lot of energy flying around, sort of like static electricity. Grounding it prior to touching anything electrical might have helped. I used to have a real problem with blowing out lights, and sometimes other electrical things would malfunction if I was upset (modem, particularly, but also my computer in general, sometimes street lights, and on a couple of occasions, my car wouldn't start, that sort of thing).

Unfortunately my step dad took notice of my propensity with lights. Every time I blew out a bulb he would get hopping mad as if I did it on purpose.
That's a strange assumption for him to make. Perhaps he sensed something about you that frightened him. Or maybe he's just a jerk. Or both.

Lira
1st June 2009, 03:16 PM
I've not had a dream like that, but I understand about the light bulbs. Throughout the last couple of years I've been slowly replacing most of our bulbs with fluorescents. Frustratingly, they have NOT been lasting as long as they are touted. I've gotten so irritated that I've started writing the date I install them in permanent ink near the screw-in end so that I can actually check how long they last. Arrrrgh! Just last week TWO bulbs in my three-bulb kitchen overhead blew. And it seems I can never keep more than one bulb in either of the two-bulb fixtures in my walk-in closet. I even tried an LED bulb to replace a burned-out one in my bedside table lamp. One that was supposed to last thousands and thousands of hours. It lasted about 10 weeks. In that case, however, I suspect it was faulty design or construction. Somebody needs to make a bulb for people like us!

WearsTheFire
1st June 2009, 07:41 PM
I've not had a dream like that, but I understand about the light bulbs. Throughout the last couple of years I've been slowly replacing most of our bulbs with fluorescents. Frustratingly, they have NOT been lasting as long as they are touted. I've gotten so irritated that I've started writing the date I install them in permanent ink near the screw-in end so that I can actually check how long they last. Arrrrgh! Just last week TWO bulbs in my three-bulb kitchen overhead blew. And it seems I can never keep more than one bulb in either of the two-bulb fixtures in my walk-in closet. I even tried an LED bulb to replace a burned-out one in my bedside table lamp. One that was supposed to last thousands and thousands of hours. It lasted about 10 weeks. In that case, however, I suspect it was faulty design or construction. Somebody needs to make a bulb for people like us!

LOL!!! A bulb like that would probably be so heavy you couldn't lift it.

SlashRick
2nd June 2009, 01:12 AM
compact flourescenc's dont like heat. and in a multi-bulb fixture, they are probably getting too hot.
and the led ones, at least the affordable ones, are so cheaply made, it's unbelievable. i have had them come apart after minutes of use!
/rick

Lira
2nd June 2009, 02:16 AM
Hi Rick -- I think the heat may be a problem in the closet; however, the other locations are still mysteries as they are not enclosed fixtures. You're so right about the LED bulb. Cheaply made! It'll be a while until that technology is dependable and ready for domestic use on a large (and affordable) scale!