PDA

View Full Version : College time

Ouroboros
9th June 2009, 03:46 AM
So I took the plunge and applied for a college, and got accepted, and formally accepted the financial aid package. I am now a student again. :D :shock: :? :lol: :oops:

I'm going to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online. So I'm taking online courses. My goal is a degree in Game Art and Design. We shall see how it goes. :D

Beekeeper
9th June 2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, Ouroboros. Good luck and I hope you really enjoy it! :D

Fish
9th June 2009, 11:42 AM
Kudos! I wish you the best Oro 8)

Neil Templar
9th June 2009, 01:08 PM
Go for it dude. you'll do great! 8)

CFTraveler
9th June 2009, 01:10 PM
Very cool. Ah, to be a student again!!! :D

Timotheus
9th June 2009, 03:04 PM
:D

Palehorse Redivivus
9th June 2009, 03:28 PM
Game art / design sounds like a lot of fun. Kudos and good luck! :D

Ouroboros
10th June 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! :)

What I find really amusing is how easy it was to apply and get started, lol. Literally took me only a week to go from "alright, this is what I wanna do" to "wow, I'm in college now."

Neil Templar
11th June 2009, 01:37 PM
i like to think that when opportunities seemingly "fall at your feet" it's a sign you were heading in the right direction... :wink:

ButterflyWoman
11th June 2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with Neil. When things happen "just like that", it's a good sign that you're moving where you should be.

Blaze
12th June 2009, 05:35 AM
My goal is a degree in Game Art and Design. We shall see how it goes. :D

Grats on the acceptance. Sometimes I wish I went that route, since I'm so into gaming.

ButterflyWoman
12th June 2009, 06:23 AM
I often wonder if doing something as a job will turn you off doing it for pleasure. I know that's happened to me every time I turned something I loved into paid work.

Blaze
12th June 2009, 06:33 AM
I'm sure it would depend on the person. Some people make their jobs into their life, and don't have much else (and like it that way). Others find that "too much of a good thing" is all too true.

Working in the gaming industry wouldn't necessarily involve activities related to your leisure. Drawing models or piecing together landscapes wouldn't be the same as playing the game itself. Of course, if you're a playtester you could end up doing both at work and at home.

Timotheus
13th June 2009, 02:56 PM
:wink:

VioletImagery
14th June 2009, 01:27 AM
Congrats! You have my support too!

I often wonder if doing something as a job will turn you off doing it for pleasure. I know that's happened to me every time I turned something I loved into paid work.

OlderWiser might be right, but don't worry about it. Just do what you want to do right now. And if later you realize you don't like to do that so much anymore, do something else. And that is not failure and is no cause for disappointment, it is just change.

Ouroboros
14th June 2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats! You have my support too!

OlderWiser might be right, but don't worry about it. Just do what you want to do right now. And if later you realize you don't like to do that so much anymore, do something else. And that is not failure and is no cause for disappointment, it is just change.

Yeah, I've considered the same thing - it's why I never got too deeply into programming. However, I think that the video game industry is one of the very few where I wouldn't get turned off at having to do it for work. I could of course change my mind about this years down the road, but for now I'm comfortable in my assumptions. :P

Neil Templar
14th June 2009, 07:54 PM
i had that experience - i managed to get work djing 5 nights a week, a few years ago. it almost made me give up djing.
now, i have my full time job in the theatre, but still dj regularly in my spare time.. just the right balance. 8)