PDA

View Full Version : When a 'Chosen' Tibetan Lama Says No Thanks

ButterflyWoman
12th June 2009, 05:14 AM
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 76,00.html (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1903076,00.html)

Late last month, two Spanish media outlets confirmed that 24-year-old Tenzin Osel Rinpoche, one of the most renowned Buddhist "golden children" — toddlers determined through dreams, oracular riddles and their own "memories" to be tulkus, or reincarnations of high Tibetan Buddhist lamas — has abandoned his foretold identity. Instead of a Lama, he wants to be a filmmaker, and has reverted to his original Spanish name, Osel Hita Torres.

Much more at the link, obviously. Really interesting article!

Blaze
12th June 2009, 05:42 AM
Other quotes I'd pull out of that article are

The West, he says, "has a romantic ideal that these lamas have some kind of super-vision and can look at a child and say, he's the one."

Popes are supposedly chosen by the divine intervention of the Holy Spirit upon a conclave of cardinals — yet many have proven less than holy, and wars have been fought over successions.

A little knowledge can go a long way, though I admit my own ignorance on the accuracy of these two quotes.

ButterflyWoman
12th June 2009, 06:14 AM
Well, the thing about Popes is certainly true. Many Popes have proven to be deeply and profoundly corrupt, and they were put into office by a corrupt process. I think the more modern ones have generally been more or less dedicated to the ideals of the church and the office they held, but historically, not always.

I can't speak on the idea of the Tibetan choosing of Lamas, of course, being neither Tibetan nor Buddhist, but it seems that the monks can be just as fallible as anyone else, or, perhaps, the boy in question really is the reincarnation of whomever it is they say he was, but his purpose in life this time around is different. Who's to say?

That's why I found it interesting. :)

CFTraveler
12th June 2009, 01:41 PM
That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe he is the reincarnated Lama, but knows that's not what his purpose is this time around, and possibly has better ideas about it than they have.

Beekeeper
13th June 2009, 10:26 AM
An interesting article. :D

sleeper
15th June 2009, 05:44 PM
perhaps he will return to the order later, and bring it what it so badly needs right now: documenting, media coverage, honest and intelligent presentation of the most reclusive and wise women and men in the Himalayas.

perhaps he is not abandoning his destiny, he is fulfilling it.