PDA

View Full Version : Reoccuring school dreams

Blaze
13th June 2009, 05:45 PM
I have had reoccuring dreams for the last several years which involve uncompleted coursework. I have some theories of my own on what the dreams mean, but I'm always looking for more input. I will likely post my interpretations thus far at some point. First, some background.

I went to a private elementary school and private high school, both of which were paid for by my parents. I went to a public college and graduated with a four-year degree a couple years ago. I am still paying for the college myself.

The dreams vary, but the theme is always the same. In the dreams, I have completed college but I have to go back to complete grades for some reason. For instance, in the dream I had last night, I had to complete grade 7 and then one grade in high school. I always get the feeling that once those grades are complete, I will have truly graduated from all school. None of the courses I have to go back and complete are ever college-level.

I never complete all the required coursework in the dream, but am always on the verge of completing a portion of the grade levels required. Sometimes there are multiple grades in both elementary and high school that I must complete, in which case I'll be "full-time", taking 4 or 5 at once. Other times, like in the most recent one, I only have two courses to finish and I'll only be enrolled in one. In the rare cases where I try to complete them all in one semester, it will be too much work and I'll end up failing at least one.

As far as the feeling I get from these dreams, it is primarily annoyance. I am annoyed that I have to go back for these lessons. I feel they are beneath me, an insult to my intelligence and progress. I am also confused. I don't understand why I have to go back and take these courses again, when I've supposedly already completed them.

Any insight is welcome.

CFTraveler
14th June 2009, 02:24 AM
No insights, just sympathy. I had those exact same dreams about high school (which I hated).
I loved college though, and get those types of dreams occasionally (actually, quite frequently) but in these re-writes I'm confused and lost.
I have noticed though, that the 'confused and lost' school dreams happen when things in my life spin out of control- I'm wondering if your 'annoyance' dreams happen when things happen in your life that make you think you shouldn't have to put up with certain things, that you have outgrown?
Just extrapolating a little.
Although it was pretty obvious.
Oh well, I did say I didn't have any insights to speak of.

Beekeeper
14th June 2009, 10:31 AM
I still have uni dreams all the time. The last time was a few nights ago and I turned up in my pyjamas but that was okay because there was a pyjama party in the library and I just pretended that I knew all about it. :lol:

The dreams you're having are probably about primary social lessons you encountered in your schooling. Obviously, these lessons repeat throughout life, sometimes in more sophisticated form, sometimes not so. Look at each dream very closely because repeating scenarios can give you tremendous insights.

SleepGOTweird
14th June 2009, 10:34 AM
Maybe you need to see if you missed something important regarding your education.

Re-checking your foundation to make sure it's strong.

Palehorse Redivivus
14th June 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know how helpful or relevant this could be, but I've found "school" in my case to refer to the "school of life" -- and the format the dreams take to reflect something about how my "lessons" are being processed.

The most recurring one for me was that I show up for a class, and then realize that I had been enrolled in this class that I didn't know about all year, it's the end of the year so obviously I've done none of the work or study, many times I have to take an exam that I'm probably going to fail, and this is going to set my graduation back another year. This same dream has gone on for years, though sometimes the setting is high school and sometimes college.

More recently I found I had a subconscious aspect of myself that was programmed to put me in similar situations -- here's a "lesson" that you didn't consent to and aren't ready for, but the stakes are high even though chances of success are basically nill. Obviously this isn't a very effecient or effective way to learn anything, so I reprogrammed the aspect and haven't had the dream, or related life situations since.

So, take that FWIW...

Beekeeper
15th June 2009, 12:35 AM
My variation is more about not being able to find the books I need and only having half-written the essay. I'm also always looking for shortcuts to the library.

Blaze
15th June 2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies thus far. I had no idea that other people had dreams of this sort so often, though likely for different reasons.

My opinion on reoccuring dreams is that they represent a barrier you've yet to surmount. Thus, understanding what the dreams represent is the first step towards moving forward (and leaving the annoying dreams behind).

To replay in kind:

I had those exact same dreams about high school (which I hated). I loved college though, and get those types of dreams occasionally (actually, quite frequently) but in these re-writes I'm confused and lost. I have noticed though, that the 'confused and lost' school dreams happen when things in my life spin out of control- I'm wondering if your 'annoyance' dreams happen when things happen in your life that make you think you shouldn't have to put up with certain things, that you have outgrown?
I have felt my life out of control ever since I graduated. The US economy is in the pits and my employment has suffered as a result. Most everyone I know reassures me that the current state of things is not my fault, but I refuse to believe it. If I allow myself to believe things are out of my control, I believe I will become lazy and stop trying. Therefore, your reasoning is quite plausible from my viewpoint and is actually one of the theories I had come up with.

I still have uni dreams all the time. The last time was a few nights ago and I turned up in my pyjamas but that was okay because there was a pyjama party in the library and I just pretended that I knew all about it. :lol:

The dreams you're having are probably about primary social lessons you encountered in your schooling. Obviously, these lessons repeat throughout life, sometimes in more sophisticated form, sometimes not so. Look at each dream very closely because repeating scenarios can give you tremendous insights.
One difference I see between your dreams and mine is the mood. I'm always annoyed, rushed, and stressed, whereas you took the situation in stride and improvised.

The dreams themselves are quite varied, with only the theme to tie them all together. I may compile them all together at some point for an in-depth analysis, if I ever get bothered enough to do so :mrgreen:

Maybe you need to see if their is something important that was missed regarding your educational structure.

Checking your foundations to make sure they're strong.
I would say that, for the most part, all the institutions were good ones. And they should be, for what they cost.

Of course, I also believe that more controversal things should be at least introduced in cirriculum. However, I don't feel that I am strong-hearted enough about it to leave such an subconscious impression to create dreams.

I don't know how helpful or relevant this could be, but I've found "school" in my case to refer to the "school of life" -- and the format the dreams take to reflect something about how my "lessons" are being processed.
I completely agree.

The most recurring one for me was that I show up for a class, and then realize that I had been enrolled in this class that I didn't know about all year, it's the end of the year so obviously I've done none of the work or study, many times I have to take an exam that I'm probably going to fail, and this is going to set my graduation back another year. This same dream has gone on for years
I have had several dreams exactly like that, word for word. In the rare cases I tried to take all my courses at once, once or twice I "remembered" about a class I had neglected the entire semester/year. Hence, I instantly knew I was doomed to at least one more iteration of school.

Palehorse Redivivus
15th June 2009, 04:23 AM
I have had several dreams exactly like that, word for word. In the rare cases I tried to take all my courses at once, once or twice I "remembered" about a class I had neglected the entire semester/year. Hence, I instantly knew I was doomed to at least one more iteration of school.

Huh, I wonder how common that one really is.

Have you ever felt like you were in that situation in your waking life?

There were somewhat similar instances for me during real-school. At one point I managed to misread two different syllabi at the beginning of spring break, and thought exams for two classes were a few weeks after they actually were. So I happen to look again right before school starts back up; it's Monday, they're both on Wednesday, I have work and several other classes in between. But I was also supposed to graduate that year, these were two of the last required classes, and these exams were crucial for my grade.

I had a history of this -- making stupid and somewhat uncanny mistakes that end up making things a lot more difficult on myself than they needed to be, and finding myself on the verge of something with major implications for how my life plays out, that I'm totally unprepared for. I've also had a few instances of being plonked in that situation by things outside my control that weren't down to any mistake on my part.

I'm still not sure where the pattern originated exactly, but I do know it was a self-destructive subconscious pattern, which I was able to demolish and reprogram.

Beekeeper
15th June 2009, 04:42 AM
I had a history of this -- making stupid and somewhat uncanny mistakes that end up making things a lot more difficult on myself than they needed to be, and finding myself on the verge of something with major implications for how my life plays out, that I'm totally unprepared for. I've also had a few instances of being plonked in that situation by things outside my control that weren't down to any mistake on my part.

I'm still not sure where the pattern originated exactly, but I do know it was a self-destructive subconscious pattern, which I was able to demolish and reprogram.

I think it's something we air signs are a little prone to, as well. :lol:

Blaze
15th June 2009, 05:21 AM
Huh, I wonder how common that one really is.

Have you ever felt like you were in that situation in your waking life?
Not in the literal ways you've described.

However, as I mentioned on my intro post, one of my main interest areas is in projection. I've tried very hard for short durations to make it work, but I've never been satisfied with my progress. I then move on to something else, only to come back to it later, bothered by both my abandonments and my continued failures. Progress has been made over the years, but not in the ways or "quantities" that I've desired. There are likely several factors in there any psycho-analyist would have a field day with :mrgreen: In fact, if someone else wrote what I just did and I read it, I would suggest several things to try :?

It is not limited to projection "training" either.

If our patterns are indeed similar enough, I may be interested in hearing more of the methods you used to accomplish that.

selfknowing
15th June 2009, 02:24 PM
That is my most recurring dream also! Could you talk a bit more about how you "reprogrammed the aspect" of your consciousness. I don't like the feeling of being in that situation in dreams or IRL. Another common and related dream is walking around my school and not being able to find the classroom. I had this one last night. I was also going down stairs that had big gaps in them and irregular steps and was trying not to fall or get hurt on the way down. Fun times.

thanks, Kelly

The most recurring one for me was that I show up for a class, and then realize that I had been enrolled in this class that I didn't know about all year, it's the end of the year so obviously I've done none of the work or study, many times I have to take an exam that I'm probably going to fail, and this is going to set my graduation back another year. This same dream has gone on for years, though sometimes the setting is high school and sometimes college.

More recently I found I had a subconscious aspect of myself that was programmed to put me in similar situations -- here's a "lesson" that you didn't consent to and aren't ready for, but the stakes are high even though chances of success are basically nill. Obviously this isn't a very effecient or effective way to learn anything, so I reprogrammed the aspect and haven't had the dream, or related life situations since.

So, take that FWIW...

Palehorse Redivivus
15th June 2009, 03:20 PM
There are two ways that I use...

The first one which I started out with, you basically call up the part of yourself that holds the pattern, dialogue with it, have it release what it's currently operating with and give it a new set of commands to hang onto. It's good to thank them for their service, because all self-parts think they're acting "for your own good," even if in practice the way they're doing so is not healthy. You can do this with intent and imagination alone, and though you may start sensing things that you're not deliberately "scripting" in the interaction, it will work either way.

Alternately, I just get relaxed and tell my subconscious "show me the structure representing all beliefs, attachments, emotions and patterns tied up in this issue." Either you'll immediately see or otherwise get a sense of a structure, or if you don't, make one up; destroy it (I often use dynamite), and burn the rubble with violet fire. Then if you want to create a new pattern as described above you can, or you can just leave things to play out as they will.

CFTraveler
15th June 2009, 03:23 PM
For the past two nights I've been getting lesson dreams again, maybe a new pattern is beginning (new lessons, whatever they are.) I think I'll get into it more on the Dreamstate lessons thread.

ButterflyWoman
15th June 2009, 03:23 PM
I just wanted to say that everyone I've ever known has the "going back to school" dream. Sometimes you're there and you get lost, can't find your class, etc. Sometimes, you find you're supposed to take an exam, but you realise you've never even attended the class. Sometimes, you're there and you want to go to class, but you realise you're in your pyjamas or something (I had that dream a couple nights ago). There are lots of variations on the dream, but it's a really, really common dream image.

SleepGOTweird
16th June 2009, 04:37 AM
Anyone have the, "missing the bus" dream?

I hate them so much...

Beekeeper
16th June 2009, 10:01 AM
Sometimes, you're there and you want to go to class, but you realise you're in your pyjamas or something (I had that dream a couple nights ago).

Hey, we might have had that dream on the same night!

I just wanted to say that everyone I've ever known has the "going back to school" dream.

Because I teach, I also get the variations where I'm supposed to teach a class but I can't find them or something keeps interrupting us. Apparently, I also get to romp through staff rooms with my friends sometimes (like a couple of nights ago).

I actually wonder if I'm ever going to leave school. :|

Anyone have the, "missing the bus" dream?

Always cars and trains for me (and occasionally other swift moving "vehicles" like using a hessian sack as a toboggan). I sometimes have a really long drive through a maze of city streets and steep ocean roads and there's anxiety about whether I'll remember the way. With trains, the station is always the place of interest. Actually catching the train isn't all that important.

selfknowing
16th June 2009, 11:52 PM
I've had the catching the train and the bus dreams lately too. I sometimes wonder if I'm OBE and not just in a personal dreamscape but never remember any kind of exit.

CFTraveler
17th June 2009, 02:43 PM
I've never had the 'missing the bus' dream. However, I have gotten many 'graduation' and then back to school' dreams, which are sort of annoying.

Fish
18th June 2009, 12:41 PM
Never a missing the bus dream for me either. What I do get on occasion is where I realize toward the end of the semester that I had signed up for some other class and it had completely slipped my mind for a good 1/2 semester or more (class types vary each time) and I finally make it to the class only to realize that I’m going to completely fail it because I’ve missed too many classes prior. :roll:

ButterflyWoman
18th June 2009, 01:22 PM
...where I realize toward the end of the semester that I had signed up for some other class and it had completely slipped my mind for a good 1/2 semester or more (class types vary each time) and I finally make it to the class only to realize that I’m going to completely fail it because I’ve missed too many classes prior. :roll:
Yeah, I know that one. Usually, in the dream, I fix it by deciding that I can go to the office and drop the course. :)

CFTraveler
18th June 2009, 01:37 PM
In my case when this happens I don't care, because I've already graduated and I can't for the life of me imagine why I decided to take more courses. Then I figure out I have no idea what to do with my life after school and end up signing up again.

ButterflyWoman
18th June 2009, 01:57 PM
...I don't care, because I've already graduated and I can't for the life of me imagine why I decided to take more courses.
Yeah, I get that, too, sometimes. I just wonder why on earth I signed up for this course and how on earth I forgot to attend classes...

Last school dream (the one where I was in my slippers and partly in my pyjamas) also included my kids, who I had to get to their classes as well as me trying to get to mine. Fairly obvious symbolism there, I think! :lol:

Fish
18th June 2009, 02:49 PM
...where I realize toward the end of the semester that I had signed up for some other class and it had completely slipped my mind for a good 1/2 semester or more (class types vary each time) and I finally make it to the class only to realize that I’m going to completely fail it because I’ve missed too many classes prior. :roll:
Yeah, I know that one. Usually, in the dream, I fix it by deciding that I can go to the office and drop the course. :)
hahaha I've got to remember to try that! Do you still get the dreams after you've done that?

ButterflyWoman
18th June 2009, 03:46 PM
hahaha I've got to remember to try that! Do you still get the dreams after you've done that?
Yeah, now and then. I don't get a lot of "back to school" dreams any more at all, though. The one the other night with the slippers and pyjamas was something of an anomaly. :)

Blaze
19th June 2009, 03:59 AM
A theme between all these settings is a change in plans. I love having my schedule planned ahead of time so I can use it to guide me through the day. In sense, I mentally construct my day before it even happens.

When things inevitably don't go according to plan, I take it better irl than I do in the dream environments. One is less hindered by inhibitations and so forth in dreams, so my reactions become more pronounced (extreme stress, hopeless outlook on the situations, etc) in the dreams, which makes them easier to remember. An interesting mechanic.

Maybe the lesson in my case is to be more open-ended; to allow more experiences to infiltrate my day, as opposed to locking down the gameplan in the morning.

I want to point out that the insight I've gleaned from the discussion thus far has been extremely helpful for me in terms of figuring out why they're occuring and what to do about it. I don't feel the mystery is solved yet though. Furthermore, I've decided against attempting the subconcious reprogramming, since I feel there are things I need to learn here still.