PDA

View Full Version : Dietary changes

Neil Templar
26th June 2009, 11:26 AM
i recently felt urged to make some dietary changes, based on a bunch of information i've seen, plus some things that've been said here in the past.
i've stopped drinking milk. i'm doing my best to avoid white flour. and i'm avoiding non-natural sugar wherever i can.

as a result i've begun craving fruit like there's no tomorrow. every time i go to the supermarket my basket is filled with the stuff. :D lovely.
i'm still eating meat, but choosing fish whenever possible. i try to have at least 3 completely meat/fish free days per week.

i've found myself feeling a little low on energy at times, and was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions for supplements, or foods, to ensure i get enough proteins etc.

cheers!

Xanth
26th June 2009, 01:28 PM
The lack of energy is probably due to the reduced protein and carbohydrate diet.
Just take supplements and you should be fine.

CFTraveler
26th June 2009, 02:04 PM
I would use soymilk in place of cow's milk (if you're post-pubescent, hee hee), whole wheat flour or gluten free flour or bread for sandwiches, and supplements. I wouldn't just quit something cold-turkey, because your body needs time to adapt, and you need to deliver certain nutrients to your body one way or another.

Neil Templar
26th June 2009, 03:06 PM
yeah i tried soymilk, but then someone pointed me to a website that was talking about all kinds of toxins in it, so i've been using rice milk. not too bad really..
and yeah, wholewheat bread since then too.
what kinda supplements do y'awl recommend?

and yes i'm definitely post pubescent. i hope, wouldn't wanna go thru that again! yikes! :P

CFTraveler
26th June 2009, 03:13 PM
If you buy organic soymilk you're ok, besides the obvious (no chemicals or GMO) the fermentation of soy negates the estrogenic properties of raw soy. So if you're post-pub (I actually knew that, which is why :) ) soy is just fine. Just organic and fermented (which is what tofu is) is O-Tay. (With Buckwheat accent).

Since you didn't go vegetarian and are having rice milk and wwh b., I don't recommend anything over a generic multivitamin every three days. Stay away from iron, because it's toxic to men (dietary is ok, but don't supplement). If you're eating lots of fruits & vegs I think you don't need added vites.

Ps. Curious- just because I'm the mother of a pre-pubescent 12 year old,- what nightmares should I expect from 'nature's changes' in a boy (I'm already getting some attitude, and the voice is starting to change), but what else?
Maybe this should be another thread, but WTF, we're in the OOT forum anyway.

Neil Templar
26th June 2009, 03:28 PM
Ps. Curious- just because I'm the mother of a pre-pubescent 12 year old,- what nightmares should I expect from 'nature's changes' in a boy (I'm already getting some attitude, and the voice is starting to change), but what else?
Maybe this should be another thread, but WTF, we're in the OOT forum anyway.

hmmm...well, yeah the attitude, expect more of that. and i dunno about other dudes, but with me, i became rather distant. secretive at times. didn't want my Mum to know what i was up to. and expect other girls( or boys) to become more important than you.
oh and i ate like a horse!! (not from a bag. :wink: :P ) i had a never ending appetite.
oh and he's probably gonna start spending alot more time in the bathroom. (hehe, for various reasons. mostly grooming. :wink: )

CFTraveler
26th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Check, check, check, check and check. :D

Neil Templar
26th June 2009, 03:58 PM
good luck with that.
i gave my Mum hell. :twisted:

CFTraveler
26th June 2009, 04:32 PM
I'll be 'calling' you when the sh...trouble starts.

Am I the only one who starts writing trougle when I mean trouble? It looks like something a 4 year old would write but it keeps happening. Must be some form of old-people retardation. Dang!

Palehorse Redivivus
26th June 2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah pretty much what Neil said about the whole puberty thing. *seconds*

Beekeeper
27th June 2009, 05:55 AM
Don't worry too much. There's occasional anger and they become more nocturnal, wanting to stay up all night and sleep all day. They also pilfer your skin care products and hubby's deodorant (so buy them their own, even though they'll run out without warning and expect to help themselves to yours). There is greater secrecy but it's only fair that they be entitled to privacy and growing space. Besides, you will have to become more adept at hiding treats for yourself because they seriously will not leave you any. Oh, and there are phone calls from girls and lots of invitations to parties, etc.

It's a funny time. I often chuckle at the symbolism of my son's room. There are assorted weights and numerous tomes but the teddy bears haven't quite been turfed out yet. I like it. :D