PDA

View Full Version : Chi Gung warm up question

Turlock
22nd July 2009, 05:18 PM
I've recently read A complete guide to Chi-Gung by Daniel Reid and am starting to learn the basic program outlined in the text.It is set out into a warm up,main program and then a cool down:collecting and storing energy. I've found the warm up to be quite effective physically if done with good effort,and as I train with weights most days I was thinking about doing the warm up right after I've finished the weights session and then waiting until about an hour later when I've showered and eaten to carry on with the main program.
Will there be any problem with not doing this warm up immediatley before the main program?,does anybody here have much experience with Chi Gung and can explain about why a warm up is needed while with NEW you can just get right on into it?
I've read books by Bruce Frantzis and he goes to great lengths to explain about the 70% effort rule,I'm concerned that by not going straight froma warm up into Chi Gung proper that I may not be preparing properly for the energy movements which could occur.
On the other hand I might be just talking a load of rubbish and worrying about nothing :D

Tom
22nd July 2009, 06:28 PM
Call me dense, but is there some reason - like not having enough time - why you can't do the warmup twice?

Turlock
23rd July 2009, 07:58 PM
Yes I am pushed for time after work but it's just that the warm up takes about 20 minutes and would fit in well with my stretching post weights work out.I have to eat my main meal within 30minutes of stopping in the gym other wise I would do one big session.But the main point is that if I know I have to do 20minutes warming up I'm much more liable to find an excuse to not bother,and it would be nice to get on with the main chi gung session once I've showered and calmed down a little.

sleeper
24th July 2009, 02:20 PM
are you eating your main meal 30minutes after lifting weights in order to maximize muscle growth?

if so, you may want to wait longer.

You can maximize the natural production of growth hormone in your body by waiting about an hour to eat after working out. But no longer because of cortisol related catabolism.

In the meantime, you've inspired me to read about chi gung, so i'm going to start that right now.