PDA

View Full Version : Mind Taming and other problems.

Anubis
24th January 2006, 04:09 AM
I can silence myself internally speaking in my mind, but getting songs or things people have said in a movie or game is hard to get rid of. I am having a very difficult time trying to silence it. I've been trying to learn to silence my mind for 2 years now, I've made progress in the sense I don't have internal reminders of things or myself talking, but songs is another story. And When I am doing the sponging and brushing actions for my legs, I don't feel any heavy sensations, I only feel a very slight warmth. Is this normal?

Apex
24th January 2006, 04:17 AM
I've been trying to learn to silence my mind for 2 years now, I've made progress in the sense I don't have internal reminders of things or myself talking, but songs is another story.

Sometimes I get background songs playing behind my darkness and silence, but instead of trying to push it away I welcome it. I consider it entertainment of sorts, since your mind likes to attach to songs you like to relax.

And When I am doing the sponging and brushing actions for my legs, I don't feel any heavy sensations, I only feel a very slight warmth. Is this normal?

This means you have very few blockages, if any, and are therefore energetically healthy (as far as the pathways are concerned).

Matt
24th January 2006, 04:47 AM
Try listening to music that you don't know very well to override what you have stuck in your head. It will probably not get stuck in your head since you don't have it memorized.

Avoid music with strong hooks like 80's pop when you do that, listen to old blues or fusion jazz that tends to undulate rather than sucking you into a 4 bar hook

Anubis
25th January 2006, 12:49 AM
Thank you both for your help! :D Today is on to day 7 and beyond. :)

BriMercer
1st February 2006, 07:10 PM
Anubis,

Do you listen to music just before your sessions? If there is any way you can spend a little quiet time before practicing (i.e., no television, stereo, etc.), this might help too.

Brian

Scorpyn
1st February 2006, 09:46 PM
I hear music almost all the time, and mind clearing is my main problem at the moment, so I can definitely relate to your problem.

I find that by listening to the statics in my head (I always hear a low hissing, and something that sounds a bit like needles (it sounds like a feeling of needles - hard to explain in any other way)) or to a fan or a similar external sound, and listening to that sound really really strongly, will make it possible to silence the music for a short while.

I also find that when I sleep less than usual I hear more music. If you have sleeping problems, try dealing with it in that end aswell.

CFTraveler
1st February 2006, 09:49 PM
Also try one of those waterfall-beach- 'waterflowy' relaxation tapes- it might occupy that part of your mind that wants to listen to music and let you 'turn off' for a little while.

Tempestinateapot
1st February 2006, 10:12 PM
In hypnotherapy, we are taught that background sounds, noises, etc. (called "chatter"), whether internal or external are normal. Accept them as part of the process. The more you worry about them, the more they will bother you. As you learn to go deeper into trance states (which comes with practice), the chatter eventually stops without any effort on your part once you reach the deeper states. Even if you do notice some kind of chatter in a deep trance state, once you are experienced, you have a sensation of the noise passing through without disturbing you, although you are aware of it.

Our minds work on multiple levels. We can be in a very deep trance state and still hear a car passing by outside. That does not mean that you have not reached a deep trance state level. It just means that your mind is working the way it should...on multiple levels.

In the meantime, imagine the chatter (songs) drifting in on a leaf and drifting out again. Just a little technique, sometimes works, sometimes not. In any case, getting hung up on it and fretting about it is the least likely way to get rid of it.