PDA

View Full Version : My mind ruins it

Kevin S.
27th July 2009, 03:55 AM
When I listen to the Hemi-sync tapes, I get very relaxed and had success up through focus 10. Now I am doing intro to focus 12, and I feel a bit...bluah.

I understand that when he tells you your going into this deeper state of awareness, hes doing nothing but convincing you that you are. Obviously no hidden ropes or pulleys behind the curtains, just the power of suggestion. However instead of going along with what the speaker tells me, my mind says 'Hmm actually hes just counting'. Its very frustrating after I say that in my head, because I take complete control of my mind and the hemi-sync tape is nothing but words.

Its my over analytical mind, it runs like a clock, making meditation very difficult especially when we move into areas like extended awareness into the 'twilight zone'. Its social anxiety that really ruins it, its the reason my mind is so hyper vigilant, over analytical, and hyper critical. It doesn't have an off switch either, even while I meditate I'm constantly aware of what is happening in my body and mind, analyzing it, and telling myself over and over again what is happening. I really feel like for me to even get from focus 10 to 12 is going to be like teaching a dog to add and subtract.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe someone here has/had social anxiety and understands where I'm coming from?

Xanth
27th July 2009, 01:52 PM
When I listen to the Hemi-sync tapes, I get very relaxed and had success up through focus 10. Now I am doing intro to focus 12, and I feel a bit...bluah.

I understand that when he tells you your going into this deeper state of awareness, hes doing nothing but convincing you that you are. Obviously no hidden ropes or pulleys behind the curtains, just the power of suggestion. However instead of going along with what the speaker tells me, my mind says 'Hmm actually hes just counting'. Its very frustrating after I say that in my head, because I take complete control of my mind and the hemi-sync tape is nothing but words.

Its my over analytical mind, it runs like a clock, making meditation very difficult especially when we move into areas like extended awareness into the 'twilight zone'. Its social anxiety that really ruins it, its the reason my mind is so hyper vigilant, over analytical, and hyper critical. It doesn't have an off switch either, even while I meditate I'm constantly aware of what is happening in my body and mind, analyzing it, and telling myself over and over again what is happening. I really feel like for me to even get from focus 10 to 12 is going to be like teaching a dog to add and subtract.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe someone here has/had social anxiety and understands where I'm coming from?
I underlined the important part in your post.
I believe Robert Munroe also didn't have much success using his own HemiSync system too for the very same reason.
It works for some... doesn't work for others...

If it's not working for you, you might have to find another way. :)

Also... do note that it's not the power of suggestion that is what takes you from Focus 10 to 12... it's *ALL YOU*. ;)
It's entirely up to you to relax to that point.

CFTraveler
27th July 2009, 02:34 PM
Even though I haven't been diagnosed with anything, I have been accused of being 'self absorbed' and 'overanalytical', and 'too introspective'.
What helped me a little bit was two things:
First, realize that with meditation and this type of practice you are only with yourself, and no one has to judge you at all.
Second, consider that 'overanalyzing everything' is not necessarily wrong, just counterproductive, and accept this about yourself, and adjust your practices accordingly- Read Tolle's book 'the Power of Now', which has an excellent method for you to experience yourself while accepting yourself and at the same time you are doing that which is giving you problems, and giving yourself time to do this thinking, and helping you attain a little more control over your mind.
Then, when you're ready to, meditate on this, and give yourself time to 'overthink' and then give yourself a goal, to stop thinking for an amount of time, instead of the goal of projecting.
Then meditate for the experience, not the goal. And the goal may present itself to you.

Kevin S.
27th July 2009, 03:12 PM
Well I actually like my overanalytical mind, it's just when I try to meditate it's concstantly conflicting.

When you said it's all you I felt like something clicked in my head. I think while it would be pointless to try to suppress my mind, I can tell it to think it's not suggestion but acessing another part of myself. I can't tell if it makes sense or if it will even work, but I can try again. Having belief that you can do something undoubtably affects the outcome.

Kevin S.
27th July 2009, 06:20 PM
Another big problem I have is the feeling of been-there-done-that on even focus 12 (I managed to get there). It might just be that it's not as big a change as I expected. But then again I do think extreme amounts and it wouldn't suprise me if I had reached these states before.

i_am_beth
28th July 2009, 01:03 AM
Here's a little trick you can use to quiet the monkey mid for a few seconds - often enough to stop a nonproductive train of thought....
While sitting, keep your head at normal level, and look straight up as far as you can with just your eyes. Thoughts stop for a moment or two and you can then focus on your goal.
Another way I quiet my mind is to use three-pointed awareness: for example, the sound of music or a tape, the inhale and exhale of breath, and also the position of my feet (or some other body part).

pilgrimage
4th April 2010, 01:01 PM
I have the same problem as you. I found usefull to let it go without expectations and accepting everything. Just listen to the changes you notice in your body sensations, in your energies and in your feelings. Don't judge the experience as right or wrong...it's just your experience and is unique. I found that doing the program at the institute makes the experience a lot different.

Korpo
4th April 2010, 06:24 PM
Good advice, pilgrimage! :)

Oliver