PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Hurricane Camille

Sparkwielder
22nd August 2009, 06:18 PM
[attachment=0:22gx0hox]Scan_PicSmall.jpg[/attachment:22gx0hox]
This is a sketched, scanned, then photoshoped illustration that represents a synchronistic event that happened on August 20 immediately following a remembrance event to commemorate the 40th anniversary of a flood that killed many people in my local area on Aug 19, 1969. The devestation was so incredible, that people haven't stopped talking about it since.

The rainbow I saw on the 20th was very unusual. It was a little after 8:00PM, and the sun had already set, so the only physical explaination is that the clouds in the western horizon were either acting as a mirror or a prism to channel the light rays to create the partial rainbow in the lower Eastern sky. The angle was wrong for it to be a "proper rainbow" The colors, and appearance were also wrong! Instead of ROY G BIV, we got: Red(alot), -Orange - a sliver of yellow, and then Green. No BIV, at least not to my eyes. The rainbow seemed to divide the sky between unilluminated grey clouds, and a large area that was glowing an eerie red-orange.

On the night of Aug 19, 2009, I had an episode of extreame sadness. The anniversary of the flood was not even on my mind. I only moved here a few years ago, and I was not in any way affected by the flood. I thought how strange this mood was that seemed to come out of nowhere. I could only describe it as grief, it actually felt like I lost a family member, so I checked to see if my mother was alright, and she was. I hoped that this wasn't the beginning of a new psychopathic disorder for me! I really did not intuit where this was comming from at all!

The next morning, I had discovered that I had killed every one of my 26 plants by spraying the new and improved "Deer Off" on them (the old stuff never killed my plants). I attributed the grief I felt the night before to the death of my plants that I put a lot of work into. I thought that I was feeling a psychic tie with the plants.

When I saw the newspaper on the following day where they were commemorating the flood, a realization hit me like a ton of bricks! What I felt that night was the collective power of god knows how many minds all focused on a single thought! The survivors of the "Great Flood" as it is sometimes called here, were re-kindling their grief of the many friends and family they lost on that night 40 years ago. Just writing this is rekindling what I felt that night, I am crying, and I don't know these people from Adam!

This underscores for me, that collective thinking is a powerful force, one that can overcome the illusion of separation, and one which proves that we are indeed connected to one another. This connection is not severed by self centeredness, as was proven to me by this experience and possibly some others (I was a bit more emotionally paralyzed on the days following 9/11/01 than I thought I should have been). It's amazing how honest I can be hiding behind a screen name! :wink:

Now I am left to wonder, how many of my thoughts, emotions, and dreams are truely completely my own?

CFTraveler
22nd August 2009, 07:45 PM
Wonderful and moving post, Sparkwielder.

I ask myself that every once in a while.