PDA

View Full Version : "2012" a Miscalculation; Actual Calendar Ends 2220

ButterflyWoman
28th October 2009, 03:06 AM
http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/10 ... -Ends-2220 (http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1517242/2012-a-Miscalculation-Actual-Calendar-Ends-2220)

"News is spreading quickly here that scientists writing in a popular science periodical (Dutch) have debunked the 2012 date (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.natutech.nl%2F00%2Fnt%2Fnl%2F47 %2Fartikel%2F26050%2FBalen%3A_%25272012%2527_is_pa s_over_twee_eeuwen.html) (google translation linked) featuring so prominently in doomsday predictions/speculation across the web. On 2012-12-21, the sun will appear where you would normally be able to see the 'galactic equator' of the Milky Way; an occurrence deemed special because it happens 'only' once every 25.800 years, on the winter solstice. However, even if you ignore the fact that there is no actual galactic equator, just an observed one, and that the visual effect is pretty much the same for an entire decade surrounding that date, there are major problems with the way the Maya Calendar is being read by doomsday prophets."

Ouroboros
28th October 2009, 03:17 AM
You mean we get to go through all of this twice? :P

ButterflyWoman
28th October 2009, 04:53 AM
We go through "the end of the world is nigh" and "the eve of human evolution is upon us" pretty regularly. Small wonder people who have lived through a lot of "end of the world" or "beginning of new era" predictions tend to just ignore them after a while. Trouble is, people believe what they want to believe, so ignoring them is the best you can do. You can't talk a True Believer out of what it is they've invested their belief in. ;)

BTW, off topic, but every time I see your name I think of Red Dwarf. Are you familiar? The lead character was found in a pool hall in a box with a label that people thought meant his parents couldn't decide on his name. They thought the word meant: "Our Rob or Ros" (he ended up being Rob, but it really was Ouroboros because of a strange time loop). Every time I see your name I think, "Couldn't you decide on a name, then?" :)

CFTraveler
28th October 2009, 02:11 PM
Well, according to books I've read (can't remember the author, sorry) the whole 'reward in heaven' thing in christianity came about because in the time of Jesus, they thought the world was going to end soon. (John the Baptist was who was the prophet about this.). So when Jesus died and 'the end of the world' didn't happen, and years passed, and still-no end of the world, they decided that Judgement would be after death, and not 'in body'.

For whatever that's worth.

You mean we get to go through all of this twice?
Kill me now.
:(
:P

Ouroboros
28th October 2009, 05:11 PM
BTW, off topic, but every time I see your name I think of Red Dwarf. Are you familiar? The lead character was found in a pool hall in a box with a label that people thought meant his parents couldn't decide on his name. They thought the word meant: "Our Rob or Ros" (he ended up being Rob, but it really was Ouroboros because of a strange time loop). Every time I see your name I think, "Couldn't you decide on a name, then?" :)

Hahaha, I'm familiar with the show, but I didn't know about that aspect. See, I'm famous! ;)

Palehorse Redivivus
28th October 2009, 07:07 PM
You mean I grew this crazy hobo beard and bought this sandwich board for nothing? Hmph.

Ouroboros
28th October 2009, 07:09 PM
You mean I grew this crazy hobo beard and bought this sandwich board for nothing? Hmph.

You forget, the Universe works in mysterious ways! Now the path is open for you to start that hobo sandwich board quartet you've always dreamed of!

;)

Palehorse Redivivus
28th October 2009, 07:14 PM
*launches into a barbershop version of "It's the End of the World As We Know It"*

Serpentarius
28th October 2009, 07:57 PM
The recession hits the 2012 prophecy! Doomsday postponed!

Salamander Sam reporting for All Planes Network:

The higher powers spokesmen said: “We got hit hard, and sadly we have to postpone our 2012 project. Some of the lower and middle management had to been let go, but luckily all of the upper management were able to keep their jobs and bonuses. Since the apocalypse business is a very precise and delicate matter,we have to make new plans and arrangements but the initial estimates tell us we could now expect the doomsday event in roughly 200 years, although the event may be postponed even further if the project team comes across any significant difficulties.”

S: There you have it, the end of the world for Earth of the physical plane is postponed and the humans are forced to wait the next 200 years - or more – in anticipation. Back to you Julia.

J: Thank you Sam, in other news: “ Man gets impregnated by his ex-girlfriend's higher self”, after the commercial break.

Ouroboros
28th October 2009, 08:22 PM
LOL Serp...nicely done :D

CFTraveler
28th October 2009, 09:32 PM
:D

ButterflyWoman
28th October 2009, 10:01 PM
:lol:

Beekeeper
29th October 2009, 08:37 AM

This is not new news though (I'm not talking about the impregnated man here, btw). I'm sure I've already seen this in a number of sources.

You know, I was never interested in any of this doomsday stuff until I came to these forums. Then I felt compelled to find out what it was all about. :roll: Now, I keep an open mind just in case. :P But I won't let it do my head in :!:

SlashRick
31st October 2009, 12:45 AM
sigh.

you mean, i'm gonna have to do this again, to see the big show?

by the way, howdy y'all.
i know i've been quiet lately, it's not because nothing has been going on though.
but soo much has been going on, it's been difficult to find the time to post much.

i will soon though

/rick

ButterflyWoman
31st October 2009, 04:18 AM
Personally, I don't think the world is going to end with a bang, but with a whimper. Stuff is just going to slowly fail, die out, whither, and so forth, like a neglected garden. I think it'll happen so slowly that people don't even realise what's really going on until it's way too late.

Precisely WHEN that will be, I have no clue, but I'm damned sure it's not going to happen on account of any man-made calender date having a lot of zeroes in it or some such ridiculous notion. ;)

watrinh
2nd November 2009, 09:04 PM
Wow, a theory that has already came up to explain why nothing big happens on 2012

Neil Templar
2nd November 2009, 09:24 PM
Personally, I don't think the world is going to end with a bang, but with a whimper. Stuff is just going to slowly fail, die out, whither, and so forth, like a neglected garden. I think it'll happen so slowly that people don't even realise what's really going on until it's way too late.

Precisely WHEN that will be, I have no clue, but I'm damned sure it's not going to happen on account of any man-made calender date having a lot of zeroes in it or some such ridiculous notion. ;)

i don't think there'll be an end of the world, but a transformation of how we exist in this world. i think we're seeing it happen right now... the forces of nature are becoming unstable... the financial system is falling apart... the people in power are being slowly exposed for the power hungry beings they are. the illusion is becoming apparent to more and more people every day.
everywhere more people are "waking up", and science is delving deeper in it's understanding of the nature of reality.
the old ideas of what reality is are being replaced with this newfound knowledge. it's just a matter of time til the masses understand how to become deliberate manifesters of their own experience, and break free of the dictators we call governments, as we know them at this time.

but as always, i could be wrong! :wink:

Beekeeper
15th November 2009, 06:59 AM
A Mayan talks about it Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaez8jn2Zg&feature=player_embedded)

CFTraveler
15th November 2009, 07:12 PM
Awesome find, Beekeeper. Hear hear.

watrinh
15th November 2009, 07:15 PM
BTW, I just watched 2012!

CFTraveler
4th December 2009, 06:14 PM
BTW, I just watched 2012! And, did you like it?

ps. I forgot whether this is here, so http://lifead.informs.com/view.php?loc= ... d_date.pdf (http://lifead.informs.com/view.php?loc=http://www.mayanmajix.com/end_date.pdf)

darron
6th December 2009, 11:00 AM
wow that mayan elder was cool, awesome man, and if this were to happen what a great time for meditation.

Timotheus
6th December 2009, 03:51 PM

darron
7th December 2009, 04:07 PM
wow tim. just a few questions.and what is world insurance. alot of the people in the world thought y2k was going to be the end of the world, but yet it didnt end, bought i really like the theory of what you said, accept there is children in the world that still see hope and love no matter what, and everytime a young soul is born into this world, it knows nothing but love and hope. i beleive that is what helps keep the world going in a way.