PDA

View Full Version : Long dream - sports stadium, bus ride

Korpo
23rd December 2009, 10:29 AM
This one was a big one, and I haven't figured out much about it, yet.

It all started that I was part of a group going to the stadium. It seemed to be part of sports class. So I figured I was in high school. There was a teacher with us, and he had a moustache. Did not know him.

When we arrived at the stadium it was big building, a long hallway surrounding the sports grounds itself, I guess (never saw them). On the inner side rooms were arranged, people were around. For some reason I roamed around myself. I was looking for changing rooms so I could change into my exercise gear, I guess.

The first room I found myself in, I guess (temporal order is a bit hazy - it seems like some info came as flashbacks?) was a big empty storage room. But I did not want to risk changing in that room since anybody could have walked in any time. The room was enormously big, its ceiling many levels above. I just remember looking at the tall wall and not even the ceiling - more like a single picture than a full memory.

Next I go down a hallway branching off the surrounding hallway. Seems like these are mostly closets behind normal-sized doors. I go to the room at the end of the hall, thinking it might be a closet, too. Turns out it is a class room where friends of mine are preparing for a lecture. (I did not know any of them, but was convinced they were my friends.) I had a short chat with them and went on. I think I stored my bag or whatever it was in a closet marked "Cabinet No. 5" - at least I think I must have done this at this point, and go searching for the others.

I walk to the North end, I guess, of the whole complex and find the changing room and the others. On the way out of the changing room I meet the teacher, maybe he asks something about how I am doing and I'm getting irritated, and start cursing. I try to get back to where I stored my gear.

As I walk down the hallway with the closets I have trouble finding the same spot again. The more I look the more it seems to me what formerly was a hallway with closets branching off is now a big built-in kitchen! The closets seem now to have become cupboards. I guess I even find "Cabinet No. 5", or maybe only "Cabinet No. 2"? But my stuff turns out to be in some cupboard below the sink. I take out a leather bag and a black suitcase.

Somehow I now think I'm in college, no longer in high school. I wonder for a short moment when there has ever been a mandatory sports class in college...?

I get back to the North, but instead of the changing room I find stairs leading downwards, with lots of people on them. There are entrances blocking the way where you have to cycle through barriers to get in - like in some subway stations. I go through one, only to notice that I do not want to go where it leads - the public pool or maybe some spa area. I am lucky - the price sign says "free for men." I squeeze myself back through the crowd.

Next thing I know I'm at a bus station full of people. Really crowded. I meet two people I seem to know. One of them is the size of a child, with a child or elfin-looking face, with a stuffed winter coat with hood on - covering everything but the face. She (?) looks up at me and we talk. I cannot place her. Her looks remind me of a person (F.) I remember from high school, so I start talking about that other person. In a flashback I remember like I seem to have put something for that person in order - numbers, accounts, or something. Maybe I notice some annoyance because I went on this tangent.

Two kids seem to make their way towards me in the crowd - they seem familiar. Right behind come G. and then S., his wife. He's a co-worker of mine IRL. He asks why I'm not at the stadium - he's wondering if I'm going to be in trouble at work for missing it. I think he also said he took a day off so he did not have to go. (So, now the same event has been associated with high school, college and work.) His wife seemed to have a stern look on her face once.

I try to figure out where the bus lines go, but I don't recognise the stations. I try to read the names of the destinations but nothing seems familiar. I seem to be at some sort of hub, but nothing seems to back to the sports park. A lot of people rush into the line one bus and it departs. I find myself in the line two bus while still trying to find out where it goes, it seems (I don't know how I got onboard, though).

I plan to exit the bus and take the same line back. Line two is running up a hill, and while the bus drives up the hill the bus driver announces that the more people board the line, the cheaper the "flint" or "splint" gets. I take it as some kind of group ticket or whatever, but basically I don't understand what this is about.

I can see strange buildings. They are circular white buildings, wide as a tower base, topped off with a flat roof that extends over the edges like spikes, like a sun depiction, maybe. They are built into the hillside, maybe almost like on terraces. Some are still under construction. For some reason I think they are typical for the location, like a local speciality or landmark. (For some reason I again think I'm in Munich - these buildings or even the big hill have nothing in common with Munich, though.)

Further uphill is a big hill, and on the hill side are holes, from which crucifixes stand out. The whole hill is littered with crucifixes, possibly with a depiction of the crucified Christ on it, too. Like the crucifixes you can see in Southern Germany along the roadsides, but a whole hill full of them. Either on top of the hill or even more uphill there is a big building, like a really big hotel or something, I think even with turrets.

I hit the exit button to announce to the bus driver that I want off at the next stop and the dream ends.

Oliver

Korpo
23rd December 2009, 10:42 AM
Some thoughts about symbols here:

Munich - got reminded of its Italian name - Monaco. Clearly a relation to monks (München - Mönch, Munich - Monk).
I thought about the circular building and somehow thought they could also be mausoleums?
G. has been in my dreams very often - he represents stability, mental development, a fully developed mental body. He's also a loyal friend.
I thought about his wife S. and the first association I came up with was "friendly soul" - how strange she was so stern.
F.'s last name translates as "White." He is a fun, easy-going person, always up for a party.
Sports was the most-hated course on my curriculum and always mandatory. :evil:
"Sports" might have been symbolic for "exercise." If this was an exercise in lucidity, I missed an enormous lot of clues! (Though recall was really good.)
There was a progression from high school to college to work in the dream. My stuff changed from sports gear to black leather suitcase and leather bag.
I was looking for the changing room - instead every time I returned to a room it had changed. A pun on these fluctuations?
"Free for men" - an area freely accessible for humans?
Everywhere in the dream people popped up that I seemed to know, but almost none of them I know in waking life.
The adult in the child's body - odd. Also only guessing about the gender.

A hill full of crucifixes?? I dare say that's a new one. The whole bus tour at the end looked like an afterlife tour, though it seems unlikely. I was not very lucid at any point.

I don't get what the overall message is. :?

Oliver

Pneumaphor
24th December 2009, 09:35 AM
Hey Oliver,

This sounds to me like the dream of a person who is paying some serious attention to his inner life, and integrating the unconscious! To the dreamweaver, inner IS Higher so that's why all the height issues are presented: Tall wall in the closet; 'High' School; Don't want to go down to the 'public pool'; a crucifix is not a square cross, but a raised up cross because the hub is closer to the top than the bottom; crucifixes on top of a hill, and finally a mandala, a symbol of the Self in the form of a castle-style apex at the very top. It's a mandala because viewed from above the final scene would look like a square or similar shape surrounded by a circle, a big one!

The flint/splint price reminds me of the 100th monkey effect, documented science there. It also reminds me of the Transcendental Meditation effect: http://tmyogicflying.org/wpeacea.htm#The The "Free For Men" sign seems to indicate that development is the way to go, away from adolescence and towards manhood (Changing room = Metamorphosing space)

The best part, other than the mandala, is Cabinet 5. 5 is the number of Spirit, the familiar realm and area of expertise of the fully fledged man's man.

This reminds me of the true meaning of the royal designation, "Your Highness." It means , 'Your High-upness' meaning 'Your Divinity...ness." A notable title for people living in turreted abodes no less.

Also, "The Great Work" comes to mind, since the world of work is the final understood mode of being in the dream.

Cool dream, I'd feel satisfied with that one if I had it! 8)

Warm Regards

Korpo
24th December 2009, 02:53 PM
Hey, Pneumaphor.

Thanks for the interpretation aid - this one is really puzzling me. And lately I can usually decode all my dreams and fragments, so this input is very welcome.

I somehow had a hunch you would be answering. 8)

I once learned a bit about TM when I was a teenager. It was the first time I ever heard of "meditation."

Hehe, something came to my mind. Now, if I wanted to go for something really farfetched - my bags changed after I found them - from sports bags to business attire, yet I recognise them as mine and pick them up. I know a book where the main character keeps finding his own bag, but each time is a different one with different stuff from the past in it - like from a past holiday in Greece. The book is "Life, the Universe and Everything" by Douglas Adams. 42! ;)

Oliver

Korpo
25th December 2009, 10:40 AM
PS -

Pneumaphor, I did not know of most of the phenomena you reference here (except the TM meditation effect), and I found them very interesting to read up upon.

I read about "The Great Work" and came over the "yellowing" stage - is this a universal/archetypical meaning of yellow or would people rather not associate the color yellow with it - what would you say? I ask because I had a dream in which the character being talked about on a newscast was known for his "yellow apron." That was a puzzler, too.

Oliver

Pneumaphor
26th December 2009, 06:06 AM
My pleasure, Oliver. :)

That's a hard question to answer. The main thing to look for in deciding whether the man in the yellow apron is an image from a "Great Work" dream would be its place in a chronologically linked series of "Great Work" dreams. I would say this; If the dream you ask about was dreamed chronologically close to the 'sports stadium' dream, within a few days time, and occurred prior to the 'sports stadium' dream, then it seems much more highly probable that it is related.

It's almost impossible to be sure though because in the "process" of those sorts of dreams, steps can be skipped, can be in unusual order, some parts can even be backwards! You should trust your instincts on this one, I believe.

The "Great Work" should be renamed, "The Great Detective Work"!

Korpo
26th December 2009, 06:38 AM
Hmmm, no, it wasn't.

The whole dream was a while ago, but I wondered about the yellow apron for a while. Reading about "yellowing" brought this up first as a memory. That's all.

Oliver

Pneumaphor
27th December 2009, 03:01 AM
Oliver,

Honestly, I've wondered about yellow much myself. On page 465 of Jung's Psychology and Alchemy, a 483 page book, yellow is finally and solely related to the archetypal image of the unicorn. Here is the two-paragraph section on the unicorn:

h. The Unicorn in China

"The unicorn also appears in China. According to the Li Chi, or Book of Rites, there are four beneficient or spiritual animals: the unicorn (ch'i- lin, the phoenix, the tortoise, and the dragon. The ch'i-lin is chief among four-footed beasts. "It resembles the stag, but is larger, with the tail of an ox and the hoofs of a horse: it has a single horn of flesh, there are five colours in the hair of its back, and the hair of its belly is yellow (or brown), it does not tread any living grass underfoot nor eat any living creature; it shows itself when perfect rulers [chen-jen] appear and the Tao of the king is accomplished." If it is wounded, this is an evil omen. Its first appearance was in the garden of the Yellow Emperor (2697 B.C.). Later two unicorn sojourned in P'ing-yang. Emperor Yao's capital. A unicorn appeared to the mother of Confucius when she was pregnant (fig. 259), and , as an omen before the death of the sage, it chanced that a charioteer wounded a unicorn (fig. 260). It is worth noting that the male unicorn is called ch'i and the female lin, so that the generic term is formed by the union of both characters (ch'i-lin). The unicorn is thus endowed with an androgynous quality. Its connection with the phoenix and the dragon also occurs in alchemy, where the dragon stands for the lowest form of Mercurius and the phoenix for the highest.

As mentioned before, the horn of the rhinoceros is an alexipharmic and for this reason is, even today, a favourite article of commerce between the African east coast and china. where it is made into poison-proof drinking cups. The Physiologus Graecus tells us that when a snake has poisoned their drinking water, the animals, noticing the poison, will wait for the unicorn to come down to the water; "for his horn is a symbol of the cross: ([greek passage]), and by drinking he dissipates the virulence of the poison."

It is interesting that the Unicorn's yellow hair appears in the same place as a yellow apron would appear on a man. Perhaps it is a hint, or an enouragement of some sort on the part of the unconscious.

That reminds me of a saying in the Tao Te Ching:

The Way gave birth to unity,
Unity gave birth to duality,
Duality gave birth to trinity,
Trinity gave birth to the myriad creatures.

The myriad creatures bear yin on their backs
and embrace yang in their bosoms.
They neutralize these vapors
and thereby achieve harmony.

That which all under heaven hate most
Is to be orphaned, destitute, and hapless.
Yet kings and dukes call themselves thus.

Things may be diminished by being increased,
increased by being diminished.

Therefore,
That which people teach,
After deliberation, I also teach people.

Therefore,
"The tyrant does not die a natural death."
I take this as my mentor.
-------------

If a direct correspondence is allowed, then we may deduce that Yang is yellow, since yang seems to be located in the 'bosom', where yellow seems to be located. I feel good about this possibility. I've never considered it this way before, but I am having that "aha" feeling right now! :D

Also, I believe the name of the unicorn in Jung's work, ch'i-lin can be translated as "Yang-Yin" or the Tao.

I Hope this helps!

Korpo
28th December 2009, 08:56 AM
Interesting stuff, Pneumaphor! 8)

What always makes me wonder about the Tao Te Ching is its endless variety of translations - every time somebody quotes it, it seems to change style and possibly meaning!

Oliver

Pneumaphor
28th December 2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, that is true about the Tao Te Ching. Also, apparently, Lao Tzu was just a compiler of previously existing oral traditions that only later came under the "Tao Te Ching" canon umbrella...so, take it with two grains and no less! :wink:

I can see the future bestseller now: "The Apocryphal Tao - A series of heretofore unknown parables the Yellow Emperor banned from the official translations of the Tao Te Ching" I'll take mine in paperback. Hahaha.

Korpo
28th December 2009, 09:50 AM
Yep, that is true about the Tao Te Ching. Also, apparently, Lao Tzu was just a compiler of previously existing oral traditions that only later came under the "Tao Te Ching" canon umbrella...so, take it with two grains and no less! :wink:

I heard that the Tao Te Ching is even more like a description of other texts of Taoism - more like captions collected. Makes me wonder where those texts are...

I can see the future bestseller now: "The Apocryphal Tao - A series of heretofore unknown parables the Yellow Emperor banned from the official translations of the Tao Te Ching" I'll take mine in paperback. Hahaha.

:lol:

Oliver