PDA

View Full Version : Armpits

turbulenceadams
17th January 2010, 08:14 AM
I know this minor but my armpits are driving me nuts.
They started getting really itchy out of the blue last week when I was at my mum's.
It feels like they're on fire and the itching keeps waking me up.
I didn't know where to put this post really.
I haven't changed anything. I've been using the same antiperspirant for years. I've stopped using it because of the itching.
There are no marks on the skin, just some redness from scratching.
If anyone has any advice to stop it I'd be most appreciative. :?

Beekeeper
17th January 2010, 08:53 AM
Turbulance, the thing about sensitivities to chemicals is that they can develop over time through exposure, so leaving the deodorant out for now is a good idea. It sounds to me, however, like a fungal or yeast infection might have developed. Ringworm develops in moist, dark, warm conditions, especially if you already have a rash there from other causes. Go see a doctor, pharmacist or naturopath.

Eliminate other possibilities:
- Could it have started with chaffing? Perhaps a tight shirt or rash shirt?
- Did you shave your armpits? Hair re-growth can be itchy and if the area was poorly lubricated when you shaved this could cause a rash.
- Do you wear a lot of synthetics? Natural fibres breathe better.
- Perhaps it's the laundry detergent (but you'd probably react elsewhere on your skin).
- Could be your soap?

turbulenceadams
17th January 2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks Beekeeper.

I'm gonna go see my local chemist tomorrow and see about an anti-fungal cream just to see if it helps.
It's calmed down quite a bit now which leads me to think it could be from my antiperspirant.
I ordered one of those natural crystal deodorants so I shall give it a go.

That itching is fierce though!

Thanks again Beekeeper, you're great! :)

Beekeeper
18th January 2010, 12:57 AM
You're welcome, dear. :wink:

Fogged
25th January 2010, 05:23 AM
Well, I am glad that your problem is solved. I have an itchy scalp due to dandruff. It requires regular treatment and if I don't do the treatment even for one day, I find myself scratching. An itchy armpit can be annoying... and embarrassing too especially if you are in public all day.

turbulenceadams
27th January 2010, 03:13 AM
Polytar shampoo is the business for itchy flaky scalps. Massage it into the scalp and try to leave it on for 1 or 2 minutes before washing off.
A few washes with it and your dandruff should clear up. Works for me.
Also try not to scratch as this will make your scalp sensitive and cause lumps to form.
I tried everything for my scalp years ago and discovered that Polytar actually works plus it makes your hair really shiny.
I haven't had to use it at all for a long time but I always keep a bottle handy if it ever flares up and one wash is usually all it takes to keep it under control. Head and Shoulders shampoo is rubbish and just makes it worse when you stop using it.

In regards to my itching armpits they are now no longer itching hurrah! Plus I can use antiperspirant again!

Mishell
27th January 2010, 11:23 AM
Plus I can use antiperspirant again!
Hurrah!! :wink:

Beekeeper
28th January 2010, 07:29 AM
That's good news Turbulenceadams.

Maybe both you and Fogged you should add some healthy oils to your diet to promote healthy, non-flaky skin.

Fogged, when you wash your hair normally, really spend a lot of time massaging your scalp with your fingers and then rinse it really well. This helps prevent shampoo build-up and brings the blood to your scalp to promote healthy skin. Plus, it feels really good. :)

turbulenceadams
28th January 2010, 02:26 PM
Healthy oils you say? Like avocado?

Beekeeper
29th January 2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah, and olive oil, flax seed oil, evening primrose or fish oil.

TheLawOfOne
17th August 2010, 06:48 PM
don't know if you guys have this there down under but try Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo. It could be Seborrheic dermatitis. If you don't have that, try washing the armpits with diluted Lysterine antiseptic (about 30% Lysterine/70% water) and then apply some vaseline. Keep this up for a while, like a month or two.

ButterflyWoman
17th August 2010, 06:54 PM
I ordered one of those natural crystal deodorants so I shall give it a go.
A word of advice on those. They work by making your armpit a place where bacteria can't grow as well, thus eliminating most of the odor. (Incidentally, having armpit hair also helps with producing a more pleasant smell, because the aerobic bacteria grow better in the hair and they generally smell better, go figure).

The thing that can happen with the crystal deodorants is that if you don't use them VERY regularly or you run out, the bacteria that have been kept at bay will reappear with a vengeance and for some people, they smell far, far worse. Thankfully, it's only temporary until your natural flora (i.e., good bacteria) get the situation under control.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to use these crystal deodorants, by the way. I think they're pretty cool, personally. Just look out for the "kickback" that can happen. ;)

Oh, as for healthy oils, see if you can get some unrefined shea butter. That stuff is AMAZING. I've been using it on my hands for about a week and the difference is really boggling. You can also use it up your nose (it helps reduce swelling in the tissues, plus it moisturises), on your lips, in your ears, you name it. Oh, and it's edible. :)

I really don't recommend using vaseline, by the way. It's made from petroleum. Not good for your skin at all. If you want something that will sit on the skin and create a barrier, try cocoa butter or jojoba butter.

CFTraveler
17th August 2010, 08:28 PM
One more word of advice about the itchy scalp: There are many reasons for an itchy scalp, and not just one like a certain cosmetics manufacturer would have us believe- someone mentioned seborrheic dermatitis (which is rapid cell turnover with excess oil production), eczema which can be either oily or dry, and psoriasis, which usually isn't oily, but it can also manifest as seborrheic psoriasis, which is oily.
Massage is not recommended with any type of dermatitis because some of these processes are inflammatory and massage will make it worse-the preparations that have been shown to help are usually either coal tar based (because it is anti-inflammatory and seems to reduce sensitivity, at least for some time) or Salicylic acid based (because it removes the dead skin flakes) and zinc kills the fungus that grows in the greasy scalp, but will not actually do anything for the problem itself.
So, massage and use oils if you have dry scalp, but not if you have any of the 'dermatitis' type dandruff conditions, because those become aggravated by doing this.

Neil Templar
18th August 2010, 06:25 PM
i use T-Gel tar shampoo. i have Psoriasis. it helps to some degree, but i find sunlight is the best cure. ideally speaking,a mixture of the two works best...
i was recently recommended nettle soap. there's a little farmer's market in town once a week, and a stall there sells home-made organic soaps.
i'm gonna give that a try... i also tried Zarqa Dead Sea minerals-based shampoo and lotion for a while there. they also helped, to some degree... however, what i did conclude, is that the psoriasis comes and goes dependant on the toxins in my system.
while i was living in Amsterdam, i was drinking regularly, even if it was only one drink, i'd always have one after work.
when i moved home, and stopped drinking like that, it cleared up a great deal. now i'm trying to work out which foods are "working" for or against me.. :?

CFTraveler
18th August 2010, 06:35 PM
Everything I've read about psoriasis (and I read about stuff like this because I have a variety of dermatological ailments, my skin seems to be my weakest spot- if it exists I've probably had it) is that whatever works your body gets used to and then you go on to the next thing. So for me, things like Witch hazel worked for a while, the coal tar shampoo did work for a while also, and tea tree oil shampoo also- I'm looking into chamomile and I'll let you know how that works.

Neil Templar
18th August 2010, 07:12 PM
cool. i'll tell you how i get on with the nettle soap.
i'm sure there must be an "optimum nourishment" level, in terms of nutrition and contact to other substances, for each individual, where these kinds of imbalances stop producing these outward expressions... i'm like you, anything going on "inside" manifests in my skin in some way...
perhaps the air we breathe is simply too polluted for them to ever go away... :(

ButterflyWoman
19th August 2010, 05:56 AM
Oh, also look into goats milk soap. We started using it years ago and have never bought anything else since. It's amazing for skin complaints.

CFTraveler
19th August 2010, 04:03 PM
goats milk soap. Any ideas where I can get this?

ButterflyWoman
19th August 2010, 05:43 PM
You can try looking on eBay, for a start. Or Google "goats milk soap" and see what turns up. You can put in the city or state for something local, or just look for online sellers.

http://goatmilkstuff.com/

That looks good. They even raise their own goats!

:)

CFTraveler
19th August 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

swamper
20th August 2010, 08:18 AM
I've never had a rash, burn or skin problem that Aloe couldn't fix. I'm sure you have probably tried it. Maybe it just works so wonderfully on me? Everyone should have one of these plants around. You can also eat it or add to a juice in a blender. It's all natural and really works amazingly.

CFTraveler
20th August 2010, 01:46 PM
I've never had a rash, burn or skin problem that Aloe couldn't fix. I'm sure you have probably tried it. Maybe it just works so wonderfully on me? Everyone should have one of these plants around. You can also eat it or add to a juice in a blender. It's all natural and really works amazingly. Believe it or not, I'm allergic to Aloe. I even have a plant in my yard, and I can't use it.
I did say I have all kind of weird skin problems.

ButterflyWoman
20th August 2010, 02:14 PM
Believe it or not, I'm allergic to Aloe.
You're just weird.

:twisted:

You might try jojoba oil. It's got similar healing properties to Aloe and a very low allergy rate.

CFTraveler
20th August 2010, 02:20 PM
:D
That I am.

swamper
21st August 2010, 03:40 PM
I've never met someone allergic to Aloe, what a shame, I think it's the miracle plant. I'm surprised it doesn't talk. :lol:

CFTraveler
21st August 2010, 05:04 PM
Mine would say, "Ha ha, I gotcha." And then it would stick it's tongue out at me. :oops:

BTW, I was also allergic to the sun when younger, and now have two kinds of skin cancer, amongst other things.

swamper
21st August 2010, 05:41 PM
God bless you. I see you whole and perfect.