PDA

View Full Version : silence

Alaskans
2nd March 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm going on a vow of silence in half an hour. No talking, posting, email, or thinking with words. For as long as I can.
I will however use creative ways of trying to make the people around me feel good.
I'm doing it untill I learn something.

I really love you guys. Talk to ya later.
--Luke

Neil Templar
2nd March 2010, 12:33 PM
good luck man.
having done 10 days silence last year, i can tell you i'm sure you'll find some interesting results...
i look forward to hearing them.. :D

Korpo
2nd March 2010, 02:24 PM
Or not. :)

Oliver

Neil Templar
2nd March 2010, 03:03 PM
heh, yep. :lol:

Tutor
2nd March 2010, 05:35 PM
Cheers Alaskans

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

i think that's right...

Alaskans
6th March 2010, 02:53 AM
I'm putting it on hold. After a few days I realized I was not in much of a learning or percieving mode, not going to get as much from it as I could if I chose a better time to begin, and was not getting any closer in my silence. I did notice a few things right away though..these are only my interpretations, based on my state of mind not facts. One being that taking a 'vow of silence' is a ritual. It has its own energy like a magical symbol does. My brain isnt wired for thinking without words at length, so it was a lot like being a baby, I didnt remember things well, so I wasnt often in the past. I didnt go over things I will say to people in the future (a bad habbit of mine). I gained new apreciation for the rational interpretation of the abstract and it's ability to be remembered. I was in a meditative state but had trouble focusing my concentration. I was shown a slice of my auto pilot programming when my mind was off somewhere and somone asked me for a ride and I unknowingly replied, breaking my silence.
90% of everyone was offended when I smiled and waved but didnt talk to them (here, being friendly means your friendly, not an axemurderer). After I put a note on my shirt saying "Hello, I am on a vow of silence, but I still love you". I noticed people were more 'telepathic' with me, were more trusting, and responded more positively to alternate ways of communicating and showing respect and affection.
I dont need practice at being quiet. Next time I do it it will be after my energy is clearer and my perception and concentration are nice and sharp. That way I can explore everything in a more subtle energy level.
I actually really liked not talking, but a week or two might be a different story.

Tutor
6th March 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm putting it on hold. After a few days I realized I was not in much of a learning or percieving mode, not going to get as much from it as I could if I chose a better time to begin, and was not getting any closer in my silence. I did notice a few things right away though..these are only my interpretations, based on my state of mind not facts. One being that taking a 'vow of silence' is a ritual. It has its own energy like a magical symbol does. My brain isnt wired for thinking without words at length, so it was a lot like being a baby, I didnt remember things well, so I wasnt often in the past. I didnt go over things I will say to people in the future (a bad habbit of mine). I gained new apreciation for the rational interpretation of the abstract and it's ability to be remembered. I was in a meditative state but had trouble focusing my concentration. I was shown a slice of my auto pilot programming when my mind was off somewhere and somone asked me for a ride and I unknowingly replied, breaking my silence.
90% of everyone was offended when I smiled and waved but didnt talk to them (here, being friendly means your friendly, not an axemurderer). After I put a note on my shirt saying "Hello, I am on a vow of silence, but I still love you". I noticed people were more 'telepathic' with me, were more trusting, and responded more positively to alternate ways of communicating and showing respect and affection.
I dont need practice at being quiet. Next time I do it it will be after my energy is clearer and my perception and concentration are nice and sharp. That way I can explore everything in a more subtle energy level.
I actually really liked not talking, but a week or two might be a different story.

I get your humor... :lol: ain't it the truth.

I rather imagine though, having felt so many times just as you have articulated, that these 'vows' are first and foremost taken not in this world. we may take it upon ourselves to mimic such 'vows' in this world, but as you've pointed out, unless we are prepared to go off and be a hermit, it's damn near impossible.

this reminds me of a story. this guy goes in a room, locks the door and is meditating on peace. suddenly, just as he had no more than found that inward peace, violent knocks at the door bring him back to ground zero. startled, he with equal violent voice reactive to the violent knocks screams out toward the door, "leave me the f#$k alone!"

the other side of that door? his three year old son.

but, back to the first that i'd mentioned, i will add that i've much been around older contemplative monks, and in that they share life in a monastery, they too share a world with just as much folly as is ours with much folly. being human they endure every dysfunction that is of humanous.

being a lay person of monastic cistercian thought, I listen to these older monks, and realize that silence is all around us, never absent.

there is a great 'silent' documentary shot is france at a monastery that depicts this silence all around us. I will see if i can find the link. but, pleasantly it turns out, everyone is within the silence if they would but listen.

yet, even as i write this reply to you, and as i live in this small rural town, i hear the loud obnoxious trucks that seem endlessly passing down the lane. these damn diesel pickups sound like military manuevers. yesterday, i was in a great space within, and lo and behold the neighbor is beating the hell out of some metalic something with a sledge hammer.

so i am reminded, it aint all about lil ole me. because if i was out working, i might just as well find myself beating the hell out of a metalic something with a hammer, thereby disturbing another's peace of mind.

the irony is laughable...always. at the particular monastery which i by attachment am a lay person; they are currently sueing the state/county of kentucky to have their original "Monk's Road" back. seems as if, that over the decades lots of folks having purchased surrounding lands connected to that original road, that road having become a community road, and following, quite the noisy racket all day long, up and down the road.

T

CFTraveler
6th March 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Alaskans. To tell you the truth, I have felt a lot of 'tribulation' in the ether lately, so I didn't think it would have been a good time for a vow of silence. Although I feel I need one myself.
Anyway, welcome back.

Alaskans
7th March 2010, 12:19 AM
Hi Alaskans. To tell you the truth, I have felt a lot of 'tribulation' in the ether lately, so I didn't think it would have been a good time for a vow of silence. Although I feel I need one myself.
Anyway, welcome back.
Oh wow :shock: ... I was giving much thought to posting that myself to see if I was just imaginging it, and if it was a worldwide thing. And here you said it yourself. I thought of it as a battletide, it is effecting people very negatively, theyre also having strangely terrible luck, I am having trouble helping them. I could write a few pages on all the bad things that happened to my best friend over one week. Any clue as to what or who is causing it?

Tim, your post made me laugh. Reminded me of when me and a compadre would meditate for 3 hours in the park with swarms of mosquitoes, a lawnmower tractor driving around us, and a freezing cold wind blasting us the whole time. It was interesting to see the effects under those circumstances. He was really hardcore, otherwise I couldnt have done it. he beleives in karma. one day, I told him I would rather break my leg than sit in another swarm of mosquitoes.
Your insight into the monk life reminds me that we can not and should not hide from lifes lessons (though I advocate taking retreats to regain our strength and focus).

Tutor
7th March 2010, 01:52 AM
Your insight into the monk life reminds me that we can not and should not hide from lifes lessons (though I advocate taking retreats to regain our strength and focus).

yup, understood.

but for a very few, most of the monks are old men, and it is sad to see the monastics age out, and this aging out is also an issue at Mother Houses.

They are wise old birds though, some having been in that environment since young children, when there familys literally sent them to enter into the monasterys.

The movement today of lay persons is gathering strength and speed, and it is only a little over a year, perhaps two, now that the lay movement has been resanctioned by the vatican, making it official. But, I am not catholic, nor does anyone have to be. merely one has to possess a calling to the monastic spirituality which reaches well beyond the norm and rationale of practiced christianity.

that's why I love these old monks, they can really blow your mind. because they're not just christians, they possess understanding of all religions, philosophys, the mystical...etc.

and too, the folks that I share grouped lay interests with, are all equally eccentric as am I, or perhaps even more so as most of them are older men and women, but lots of youth as well.

my mentor can talk about anything one wishes to talk about, be it absolute or relative in context. yet, there is no separation between relative and absolute...it is just thought.

many become deeply offended by absolutes, wishing to stay the course in the relatives. even I see the ease within myself to go that route. but for myself, it is easier to see the absolute, and then parlay the relatives. if i dont follow that route then i am swallowed up in the fear scenarios and 'creepy' feelings which all of us will most naturally feel, in that we human.

my only guess is that the reader reads it as if the poster is trying to be non-human. yet, it isn't non-human to think in absolutes, though it is unnatural wishing only to ease one's way through the relatives.

i sometimes seem to say rather harsh statements, which i understand might seem to the reader as pointing right at they. however, i do not point at anyone, i merely state it as if I am saying it to myself, therefore any 'self' in general that might be reading the statement. thus, from one self to another self, even an absolute is relative.

no one is without "vain thoughts", as if they might control or change something that is well outside of individual thought's control. i find myself doing that all the time. I rather imagine that if a forum is provided for extra-normal avenues of discussion on various human-spiritual topics, that surely it is reasonable to speak in both relatives and absolutes, regardless of the thread's vibratory resonance. I am perhaps wrong on that imagining.

anywho, i guess the latter paragraphs had to do with another thread, and not this one given by your self Alaskans. sorry...

laters...

T