PDA

View Full Version : Self Education

boris
6th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Has anyone here undergone any long term self motivated programme of education? By this I mean that your intellectual development and acquisition of knowledge and skills has been one that has largely been outside of college courses, normal curriculum centred learning etc. How did you go about this approach? pros? cons? general comments.

I ask because I never got a college edukation, dropped out 3 years running, though I still want to develop in all the areas I could have done there. Im considering going back into academia but still have a confidence complex to overcome.

Ouroboros
6th March 2010, 10:57 PM
I've been considering the same thing myself, to be honest. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of input is generated here.

In my situation, it's simply that I cannot afford to go to college. I'd love to educate myself regardless, but haven't quite got the motivation to start that up yet.

I know one idea I was toying with was simply checking out any course material requirements that may be posted publicly for a given subject, and then invest in the textbooks and supplement that with any free lectures or other online material that may be available. There seems to be a discussion board for just about everything these days, so I'm sure there are plenty of appropriate opportunities for getting clarification and asking questions as well.

The problem with self-directed studies is keeping focused - a college environment provides structure and direction, while a self-studying person must create those things on their own.