PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Week

CFTraveler
9th March 2010, 05:58 PM
Metempsychosis: Transmigration of Souls

"Metempsychosis (Greek: Î¼ÎµÏ„ÎµÎ¼ÏˆÏÏ‡Ï‰ÏƒÎ¹Ï ) is a philosophical term in the Greek language referring to transmigration of the soul, especially its reincarnation after death. It is a doctrine popular among a number of Eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Druzism[1] wherein an individual incarnates from one body to another, either human, animal, or plant.[2] Generally the term is only used within the context of Greek Philosophy, but has also been used by modern philosophers such as Schopenhauer[3] and Kurt Gödel[4]; otherwise, the term "transmigration" is more appropriate. The word also plays a prominent role in James Joyce's Ulysses, and is associated also with Nietzsche.[5]. The term of metempsychosis has also been used by a spiritual teacher named Tathagata in answer to a member's question[6] about Enlightenment. Another term sometimes used synonymously is Palingenesia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metempsychosis

" [Gr.,=change of soul], a belief common to many cultures, in which the soul passes from one body to another, either human, animal, or inanimate."

Interesting tidbit:
"The most systematic treatment of the subject is found in the works of R. Ḥayyim Vital, Luria's disciple. In Vital's psychological system, each of the five parts of the soul migrates from body to body independently; thus every soul is a combination of elements which have lived several times in the past in different places and circumstances, requiring needing some form of tikkun (rectification). The influence of Vital's works made the concept of transmigration common in early modern Jewish mystical thought, including Shabbateanism (see Shabbetai Tsevi). (See also Dibbuk for a related, though different, concept.)"

http://www.answers.com/topic/metempsychosis

michaelsaganski
10th March 2010, 08:12 PM
Interesting word. I find it funny that part of the word is "psychosis", as if we're all a little psychotic with the belief in reincarnation or something. :P

CFTraveler
10th March 2010, 10:49 PM
Which is what attracted me to the word in the first place. :D

Red Arrow
11th March 2010, 04:54 PM
That is an interesting word. Thanks for sharing this.

Tutor
11th March 2010, 07:03 PM
i woulda swore i put a reply in this thread. oh well. i think this word is relevant to the 'borg' conversation in the "kundalini, what is it?" in the Kundalini forum.

hmmmm... :|

CFTraveler
11th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Then put it in the Kundalini thread.