PDA

View Full Version : being a receiver

lazuli
10th March 2010, 06:23 AM
Hello All,

I am an emotional empath or at least that is what I call what I experience - I am looking for those like me who pick up other's stuff - who are "receivers." I would like to hear how you may differentiate between what is yours and what is "theirs," and how you shield yourself if you do that... I need to figure out how to shield myself more effectively than I have been trying to do, because I am a counselor and work with emotions to make a living, and my clients usually are extremely negative and incredibly toxic on many levels. Though, I have run into plenty of people who are just as negative and toxic who aren't in therapy. The most bothersome thing for me is the physical pain of fear/anxiety/hate... I get "fear/hate attacks" that effect me most severely in the heart and sacral centers - its debilitating... I have found that these sensations have been associated with certain people and/or situations that are evolving or are about to occur - often in advance of things playing out in real time, so I can't figure out all the time where it is going to come from. This could be a warning from my inner self, it could be me receiving another's fear/anxiety/hate without a filter etc... but, in any event, I have to be in the world and around people, and sometimes it really is painful.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS - also, maybe what I'm experiencing is negs attached to people or situations/ or - negs creating negativity through people... I am confused!

Tutor
10th March 2010, 08:52 AM
:idea:

Alienor
10th March 2010, 09:59 AM
I recommend to you to read:
Empowered by Empathy: 25 Ways to Fly in Spirit by Rose Rosetree

She does have some exercises for

how to differentiate between what is yours and what is "theirs," and how you shield yourself if you do that..
So just what you are looking for.

I think you are in a great place to help people as an empath and being a counselor. Sounds like you have been listening to your calling.

CFTraveler
10th March 2010, 02:08 PM
Alienor, since you have 20 posts already you can post links now.

beam
11th March 2010, 03:48 AM
u could try scenting yer office with insence or natural oils. for a whole bunch of reasons.

beam
12th March 2010, 03:43 AM
lol.

lazuli
15th March 2010, 05:58 AM
Hmmm.

Thank you Alienator, I will look that book up.