PDA

View Full Version : What happens when we meditate?

KineticMaster
28th March 2010, 10:54 PM
Im just curious as to what happens when we meditate. I know why people do it, but is meditation similar to performing a conscious OBE? Are we supposed to visualize things or just simply relax and let our minds do what they will? I guess the main point is during meditation am i supposed to urge my mind in some direction or just relax and reach a state of tranquility?

Tom
28th March 2010, 10:57 PM
Meditation in what context? The word means a lot of things to a lot of people.

KineticMaster
28th March 2010, 11:06 PM
Not really sure. Meditating to achieve a better understanding of our energy selves.

CFTraveler
29th March 2010, 01:46 AM
This is not a direct answer to your question- mainly because, as Tom indicated, it's probably different for each person, but I think this link, although long and a little technical, is very comprehensive. I recommend anyone read it that has any questions about meditation in general.
http://www.shinzen.org/shinsub3/artHow.htm

Tiny
29th March 2010, 08:42 AM
Dear KineticMaster,

I found that what makes proper meditation so nice isn't what may happen during it but the attitude of ceasing desire and expectation.
The relaxing energy flow (same thing as in massage) and trance states that can lead to visions and more are just added bonuses. Meditating just to seek any of these bonuses is not meditating truthfully and wholesome.

kind regards,

Paul

Tutor
29th March 2010, 04:16 PM
meditation for me is withdrawal of focused attention, from without and within. what happens? it varys, given what's going on in my life.