PDA

View Full Version : Our bio-chemicals and sleep.

goodo.
23rd February 2006, 05:29 PM
When we each 'go to sleep'... it would be owing to a certain or particular gland within us, to secrete a type of anasthetic substance into our cerebal matter.
Ergo - sleep!

When this gland is partially (or completely) inoperative, is when one may be inclined (or required) to use a synthetic derivative... the sleeping pill!

These come in various dosages... some more potent than others.

How detrimental are these.... or is this substance to our success with Astral awareness and OBE's?

P.S. I ask this... because I feel sure clarity needs to be 'in focus' just as our physical enters the sleep levels... but if you can't get there without -chemical assistance- does our 'intent' become jepordised?

Matt
23rd February 2006, 06:15 PM
It sounds like you're talking about melatonin in the pineal gland? For me, melatonin sleeping pills don't do much for me other than to make be feel down in the dumps the next day. Your milage may vary. I think it's way better to get enough sunlight during the day because that's what your body needs to naturally make melatonin. Get lots of sunlight during the day and you'll probably find that your dreams start to get more and more vivid.

Here's a link on that
http://www.saltcube.com/?t=sun

goodo.
26th February 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the link Matt...

I found it to be VERY interesting... and VERY informative...!
It gave me the precise answer to my enquiry!

It also gives a more detailed explaination in regard to 'sunlight'.

I'd advise anyone with a simular query (of medicines and sleep) to click on to that link and have a read!

Thanks again Matt!

goodo.
8th April 2006, 04:26 PM
I am still with a bit of concern with regard to my sleeping ability... and my desired attempts of astral projection or OBE's!

I am without doubt that I get sufficient sunshine... but sleep still does not come easy for me!
Although I may be 'nodding off' in front of television... soon as I go to bed in my silent and darkened room, thoughts begin to bounce around within my head like a crazy monkey!
This will not allow me to slip into sleep state... often times, for hours... or until I reach out for a little tablet to aid me to 'switch off'!
It doesn't seem to matter how tired I may be... to move into physical sleep is always difficult!

Two things that concern me here, are - being in control of... and consciously aware of my sleeping procedure (for the obvious reason) and the other is whether this little pill would be 'dumbing down' my awareness within any form of OBE, or remembrance of it?

I am trying to teach myself 'mental control'... to 'quieten my thoughts'... to stop this 'chattering mind'... but boy it can be hard!

Would it be worth my looking in to a meditation class?
(Perhaps so... but it's just 'time' to take on another class!)

I will appreciate any other suggestions... or opinions...!

Matt
8th April 2006, 04:59 PM
Hi goodo,
Falling asleep in front of the TV is not a good idea. The brain is wired to expect a gradual fall off in light entering the eyes as the sun goes down. With artificial lighting and TVs, the light the eyes get is rapid and sudden and out of balance with what its expects.

TVs have a 60 Hz refresh rate which acts to put the brain into a suggestive state. David Icke calls the TV "the hypnotist in the corner" for that reason. Watching the TV as you fall asleep loads your subconscious up with whatever happens to be shown on the screen and doesn't make for a good sleep situation.

I'd get rid of the TV completely or at least avoid watching it after 6 pm.

Good luck!

enoch
9th April 2006, 12:37 PM
I take 7.5mg zopiclone (sleeping tablet) and I'll assure you - an hour after downing one of those - the only thing you'll want to do is sleep. :lol:

goodo.
10th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Cheers Enoch and Matt...

In this day & age Matt, it's almost impossible to avoid television... especially after 6pm, when the news is on... followed with current event shows and documentries and so forth!
It's somewhat startling to learn about the refresh rate though... and David Icke's referal as 'the hypnotist in the corner'...!
I myself have referred to televisions as 'a little black box that sits in the corner of practically every loungeroom, bedroom and kitchen in the world... with humanity transfixed for manipulation'!

I am going to put serious attempt into not watching it as often though, and particularly AS LATE!
Thanks for your advice Matt...!

The little white devils that I use Enoch, are Temazepam 10 mg!
What is okay about them, is that they are out of ones system within a couple (or maybe a few) hours... they have no 'hang-over effect'!
All they are... and all I need, is a 'switch off' pill!

Thing is but... I WANT to be consciously aware of my physical sliding into sleep state... and to remain as lucid as possible should (or when) I enter the Astral plane!

I'm still a spot concerned about whether these little pills could prove to be a hinderance to this...??
I have experienced astral 'awareness' a few times... but have never performed actual (or intended) 'projection' yet!

I have been attempting to (or WANTING to) do this for several weeks (or even months) now... but not getting there...?
That is why I wonder if the problem is in this little pill?

I would be interested in your opinion on this Matt...
Thanks mate...

Matt
10th April 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know anything really about the pills, so I can't say

12th April 2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Goodo,
I used to have sleeping problems, mainly due to medications I had to take for asthma. They were extreme stimulants. So, I had to take sleeping pills to counteract the stimulants. Once I got the asthma in control, using hypnotherapy and meditation, I was able to significantly reduce the asthma medications, but still had trouble sleeping. This was probably from conditioning, and telling myself that I couldn't go to sleep. The mind is a powerful force and very open to your suggestions.

After spending time using meditation to sleep (probably about a month), I was able to go to sleep easily without any sleeping pills (with or without the TV on BTW). Then, I went through a period of not being able to astral travel through meditation, because the meditation would just make me fall asleep. So, I gave myself the suggestion (affirmations) that I would be able to meditate and have it accomplish the purpose that I was going for, be it sleep or astral travel. It takes time and practice and determination to accomplish this, but it can be done. There are a lot of good CD's on amazon.com for meditation. I don't think you need to actually take a class, but it could be of help.

goodo.
16th April 2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your tip Painterhypnogirl...

I WILL get myself a meditation CD (as you suggested), and wean myself away from using pills to sleep... much the same as you did in regard to your asthma treatment! (There may be a couple of rough nights... but in the long run, it'd be well & truly worth it...!)

Using medication to sleep has only been with me over the past couple of years... (perhaps a spot longer...?) so it shouldn't be too hard a habit to break!

The solution to my little problem (or query) here is obviously that if the pills are concerning me... STOP TAKING THEM! (Couldn't see the wood because of the forest...!)

I am entrusting meditation will 'quieten my thoughts' at bed time... and hopefully to help balance my inner chemicals that bring on sleep.
With practise, perseverance, and SELF SUGGESTION... I'm sure I can (and will) do it!

The mind IS a powerful force Painterhypnogirl... and we are forever learning... and a lesson I am going through at present, is how to direct, or guide - this powerful force....

So just to reiterate again Painterhypnogirl... thanks for your tip!

FlickeringThoughts
16th April 2006, 04:20 PM
Interesting article, Matt. That was a very good read. While I almost NEVER watch TV (3 hours a week max nearly..) escaping from the computer screen is another topic all by itself. It's really hard to get away from it. I'm thinking about setting some time, right before bed, to read...what is worse, a lamp light or a tv screen? I have a roommate and can't completely escape all light. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Kevin

Matt
17th April 2006, 12:45 AM
The TV is the worst, especially if it's a CRT. LCDs are probably a little better since they don't have such an obvious 60 hz refresh rate

Fluorescent lighting also has a strong 60 hz refresh rate, you can really notice it sometimes when they're high up on the ceiling like in a hardware store. Look at the floor and you can see it flickering sometimes

Normal incandescent lighting is not so bad but it's better to start to taper off the light for a while before you go to bed.

If your room mate keeps lights on when you're going to sleep, using a sleep mask might help a lot. Also those silicone earplugs work well for me to keep the noise out. I've never had luck with regular earplugs but the waterproof silicone putty ones are great.

If you get a sleep mask, get a decent padded one. The cheapies are pretty much worthless.

These are what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006B ... &n=3760901 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006BKN5K/qid=1145234679/sr=8-9/ref=pd_bbs_9/103-5451926-9856659?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3760901)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E ... &n=3760901 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EXZM2/qid=1145234722/sr=8-9/ref=pd_bbs_9/103-5451926-9856659?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3760901)

goodo.
30th April 2006, 05:45 AM
I feel I need to ‘counsel’ myself a bit over my remarks in a previous post within this thread… in regard to my defence of televisions 6pm news, current events and documentaries…!

These programs nearly always feature negative topics, surrounding grief, woe, fear and threat… and I feel it is this sort of matter that I (or we) should not allow our minds to become saturated with!
A sprinkle of awareness of global and local matters would be deemed sufficient… but definitely not to drown ourselves with negative information!

Another (and equally important) point in association with this… is how devoted and disciplined I prove to be to the graciousness of the Astral Dynamics online schooling!
My time would be better spent absorbing the information offered here on this site… than to be idly lounge bound soaking in bleak news from the television!

Also, I think we need to be guarded against laxness setting in… and keep our passions whetted…!
Note that I feel that laxness may arise when our measure of advancement stalls!
This may be seen as part of our own inner testing… where we to keep our determination alive …and continue… so as to qualify for (or earn) our advancement!

This is just my opinion... and I will gratefully muse on that of others!

Matt
30th April 2006, 03:02 PM
I agree with all of that goodo!