PDA

View Full Version : Lost my mojo.

turbulenceadams
8th April 2010, 11:27 AM
Alrighty,

This has taken quite a lot for me to post but here goes.

I am a singer/songwriter and had some success in the past writing vocals for big dance tracks. I had a Top 10 in Europe in 2001 but was ripped off by my record company and basically everyone I ever worked with bar one.
Since then I was dropped by my record company and had to start all over again, writing on my own and gigging in local bars etc for peanuts.
Recently I got courted by a Dutch dj and was signed to a publishing deal in Holland but nothing has happened.
I've been told that I'm too poetic(by the dutch dj) and that I need to dumb my lyrics down and I've had so many knocks recently that I'm finding it exceptionally hard to believe in myself.
I spoke to my artist friend and she understood.
I am a poet by nature, it's in my blood and everything I do and right now I feel despair from my lack of focus. My pilot light is still lit though.
I just want a sign that I'm doing something of worth.
I try to talk to people about energy work and they don't get it. No one wants to hear about my dreams either. And no-one seems to want to hear my music and I just think I'm ♥♥♥♥.
Do any of you guys have any tips for getting my mojo back?

LeCosmic
8th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Hey there,

I'm a poet/musician too, and I know how hard it can be to try and do something interesting, lyric wise. LoL, I've even been told in one band I play in that our music is too complex for some of the venues we've played...people didn't get it..and we're only a two piece.. :D

My advice is fiind like minded people in your community, like alternative people, hippies and fellow seekers and the like. Do music with them, go the gigs they go too, cause it sounds like your current crowd is bringing you down.

Chin up buddy, you obviously have something important to say..don't let go of it.

Neil Templar
8th April 2010, 01:02 PM
yep. good advice.

i'm a dj/producer, but not really in the realms of "big dance tracks". i'm invloved in the more underground scene, and i know some guys who are making VERY complex music, rhythmically, and lyrically. and those dudes are being taken very seriously, having their stuff played on Radio1 recently.
the problem's not being too poetic, it's the ears that don't want to hear it, that are at fault here.
like LeCosmic said, look to different arenas, more openminded artists will be more than happy to work with someone with talent.

the "big dance" world is basically a commercial market, and the simpler, the better, is the rule of thumb there.
stay true to your poetic nature. it might take longer to make real money, but you'll be happier with your own efforts in the long run.

and in the meantime, never think of yourself a just being ♥♥♥♥.
be confident in your own talents, you were given them to use. creative expression comes from your soul, not from your mind. your poetry is spirit talking.. :D
let it express itself thru you..

turbulenceadams
8th April 2010, 01:30 PM
Aw thanks so much guys. It means a lot.
I'm at my keyboard writing a song about the elusive muse.
Up the poets! xxx

Jackofhearts
9th August 2010, 12:30 AM
Well, there are typically 2 ways of doing things.

The way that betters the world and yourself as a whole, and that makes money.

You either have to pick one, or try to find some sort of compromise between the two.

Tom
9th August 2010, 04:06 AM
What's the status of DHEA where you live? It is legal and over-the-counter where I live, and it is vegetarian because it is made from a plant. Your body produces it when you sleep and it wakes you up in the morning. Melatonin counters it and keeps you asleep during the night as levels of DHEA slowly rise. DHEA is what gives you the energy to go out and do things during the day. If you can go to a doctors office and get your DHEA level tested (it is a saliva test), and they can suggest an amount to take on a daily basis in the morning. Even if your levels are normal you may want to try it. If it is legal where you are. I use it from time to time, especially when I know I'm only going to get a couple hours of sleep and I am going to need to get up anyway. It is not a stimulant.

Even a multivitamin and getting enough protein in your diet can help.

L-arginine might be good to consider, and zinc. Maybe some ginseng or green tea.

Success brings success. Lots of little successes can give you the confidence for bigger things. Find little things that you know you can do that you have been putting off and do them. Pick things you know you can do, but just haven't wanted to do. That's the kind of thing that weighs you down, so you will feel lighter and more successful.