Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Listening to music

Re: Listening to music

Hmm, coincidence, I was just realising some stuff about meditation and music and stuff.

Have been meditating for some time with music on, before that I was meditating in silence (for a long time) but I found music on to be better. My thinking is now this - music can help put the mind into a good place, but its kinda like a forced consciousness state. The bliss that arises from within, does so according to its own harmonies. Sometimes this can be in harmony with music, sometimes it isnt, but I dont think it is possible for music to fully describe the higher emotions as they cascade through our energy bodies and consciousness'. Some music, comes close though . So now, I am nudging towards silent meditation again, as it more easily clears the channel for the higher emotions. Creating an empty vessle that can be filled, if you like.

So I think that using music is very useful and valid for a certain stage of meditation practice, but after that it can get in the way.

It reminds me distinctly of the Tibetan Buddhist way of dealing with karmic traces (thoughts (which layer into the subconscious), basically). In early practice, you stop the negative stuff and replace it with positive thoughts/karmic traces - cultivating wisdom karma I think it was called. Later though, with more developed practice, it is preferable to simply remain as the point of stillness, immovable as a mountain, and let the thoughts (karmic traces) simple flow past and through you - without any grasping or aversion. Simply allowing them to be - being a clear channel, allowing the old baggage to dissipate on its own.

selfknowing Guest

Re: Listening to music

Great thread! I'm taking it all in. I love music and the way it affects my moods and helps me through good and bad times. I've been missing it lately- too many cartoons on in the house.

3. Re: Listening to music

You ever try to listen to Isochronic tones?