Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oliver's transcendental musical diary

Blog Entries

Oliver's transcendental musical diary

I guess about two years ago I read Kurt Leland's "Music and the Soul," and it made me aware of the fact that music can induce all kinds of mystical experiences.

Strewn all over this site I've mentioned messages that I believe came to me from Spirit through the means of song lyrics. The link seems to happen because music relaxes my mind and my attention is a bit more flexible. I often perceive some part of the lyrics as significant, I know that these words mean something. Sometimes circumstances and music match as well.

But in this thread I want to post about another kind of experience, Kurt calls it "Transcendental Musical Experience (TME)." Through the means of the music something is communicated, triggered or understood without requiring words, just the music itself. Sometimes it comes to me as a vision. Sometimes it is a state of consciousness, hard to describe.

I wanted to collect some of these experiences and post it here. Updates can be very irregular, because I do not will these things.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Re: Oliver's transcendental musical diary

These two happened January 2009:

"Ride of the Valkyries" conducted by Klemperer

This morning I felt like listening to it (again). It was a wholly new sensation - I repeated it several times.

The first one was familiar - the feeling of passing through the clouds in a blue sky. The sky is deep blue and the clouds fly past. Carried by the strings. Then a strange thing mixes in - I get the impression of equine muscles. Big equine muscles. I always thought of winged Pegasus horses in connection with the valkyries, but these are big horse thigh muscles at work, hard work. It's as if I can see a really muscular bright white horse galloping on the air. It was as if I could feel the muscles themselves.

At several times I felt like I had to cry. Every time I listen to it now I feel like - I don't know, I just am short of crying. Like I want to storm the sky with them? Like I am missing something.
    "Lohengrin Prelude" conducted by Abbado

I first get the feeling the brass section is playing so soft as if anything more would be immodest and not right. Almost as if they were playing as gently as for a lullaby - to not disturb the baby, so soft, so gentle. I did not know they could do this.

Then I get the impression of something noble, like a fully dignified king is parading on a festive occasion, in full regalia, fully aware of his presence and effect. It sounds like a national anthem on a festive occasion.

And then finally a big revelation, a big impressive - something. Mind-awing. It sounds like "Here I am", but spoken by someone who is really awing and big. If this is the grail, the grail is not a thing. It's a person. Or personal. It is a presence.

Then I had a very strange sensation. I suddenly had the feeling of something should explode outward. That the inner images represented a wave of energy going outward in a wide circle, like a star exploding in a movie and sending a big circular wave of particles outward. But the big "bang" of this performance followed only a few seconds later, as if it was too late for where I expected it.
    Oliver

Blog Entries

June 2010:

"Third Eye" by Tool

There comes a passage when many interwoven patterns come together with an industrial thumping sound. At this point I had a vision of gigantic cogs and wheels turning, a gigantic machine, but in a style that reminds one of the 19th century, like the innards of a clock like Big Ben, I guess. What does this mechanism drive? It was as if this was the inside of the world, and I was for some strange reason reminded of Hinduism and of depictions of the mechanics inside the world.

"Concerto for Orchestra" by Bartok

There's a very solemn passage that sounds like a brass orchestra in a church setting. For reasons unknown I saw a colorful dancing girl in a wild swirl with a red flower in her dark hair. It seemed like a painting of swirling colors.

Oliver

Blog Entries

January 2009:

"Bruckner: 8th symphony, Adagio" conducted by Böhm

It was as if a part of the string section was missing "the tact" or the tempo/meter - what do you call it? Their rhythm was expanding and contracting like a huge, underlying breath, a way deeper breath. It seemed to modify the feeling of time underlying the piece, contracting and expanding time itself. As if for a moment the piece did run in its own time that did not quite fit our time.
    Oliver

Blog Entries

February 2009:

Three pieces [...] give me the same reaction - "Lohengrin Prelude", "The Gates of Delirium" and the Adagio of Bruckner's 8th. I get a sudden outpouring of energy in my chest. My chest suddenly fills with this energy.

After this all other energy reactions [...] are pronounced. The likelihood of TMEs and images is higher. This is precisely what happened before my "Valkyries" experience. Or today I first listened to "The Gates of Delirium" (the end of which took me energetically by surprise) and afterwards for example to "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin and it gave me shivers, too.

Now, here's the weird thing - this energy is always cold. If ongoing it gets really cold. Like a crystal-clear cold mountain stream is cold - not ice, but a running current that gets you colder and colder. Also it felt that pure, too. But not drawing warmth from me, no, but like cold pouring into me. Not bad at all. Just so cold.
    Oliver

Blog Entries

May 2009:

"Brucker: 7th symphony, Adagio" conducted by Klemperer

(This one starts out on a train ride to Munich. I was doing several energetic exercises Kurt taught me. I just left the part in that portrays my state of mind before the TME.)

Now several things happened, and I don't remember the order anymore. For one thing I would get the feeling of drifting in a warm glow, like in a comforting liquid, but without resistance. At one point the judging voice I know so well arose in my mind, but instead of going with it my mind noted a different quality about - it seemed more distant! This kind of lucid perception allowed to stay detached from it, become aware of the fact that there was a judging train of thought and observe it, and even become aware of energy blocks in my head that were associated with it and dissolve them for a while. They were a bit more subtle, and I got a bit too excited to stay with them as I became aware of the fact that indeed I had connected with the judging nature of my mind and was gently dissolving it. I was also excited because the slight distance I felt reminded me already of the experience [...] where I had felt even spatially separate from the judging mind.

Images started to appear in my inner vision, short images of passengers that weren't even on the train when I opened my eyes to check. I never had seen them before, I somehow knew that, but there they were.

While I traversed Munich Main Train Station on the way to the last ride to work, waves of joy softly emanated from the inside out, putting a smile on my face. I became aware that a goofy smile put itself on my face, that I somehow seemed to be radiating a positive quality outward.

As I rode the train I listened to music. I felt like listening to Bruckner, so I chose the Adagio of the 7th. I could not say what the nature of its beauty was, and then the train exited the tunnel at East Train Station. Normally not a sight to see, but in my state of mind I just saw the sun light of a fresh spring morning reflecting on all the concrete buildings, and the joy of listening to Bruckner as a "soundtrack" to this almost made me weep. The same way the warm morning spring sun seemed to put an elevating shine and reflection on everything it touches, turning the mundane into beauty, the same quality seemed to be present in the music, whereas a touch of spirit elevates human experience to be a thing of beauty.

My mother calls this music sad and tragic when I told her I listen to Bruckner the first time. But it is so much deeper. It is just beautiful, not dramatic in an emotional sense so much, but a portrayal I guess of human nature, and when you see it like the composer might have seen it, who takes the bitter-sweet with the joyful, who encompasses a wider range of emotion beyond mere drama to convey something about ourselves, I'd say it has a certain transforming nature, a touch of spirit.
    Oliver

Blog Entries

May 2010:

Unknown piece by "Liquid Mind"

At Kurt's suggestion I got myself several albums by "Liquid Mind" to listen to. I just don't remember which piece I had picked to listen to. I was just walking over the fields on a sunny day.

At one point my mind was filled with an idea about how wonderful it would be to bottle states of consciousness into music. It does not sound like much, but at that time it felt so gripping, such a wonderful thing to do. Only later I made the connection that the inspiring nature of this music that is said to relax one into a receptive and relaxed state of mind might have opened me to the idea and that wave of enthusiasm.

The albums I have on my MP3 stick are "Unity," "Balance" and "Sleep" - it might have been the last of the three.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Wow. I'm loving this. I can relate to this, I just never thought of writing it down.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Palehorse Redivivus Guest

Same here. Totally diggin' the concept; keep it up.

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys.

Since I'm back to commuting by public transport I have more time for listening to music again, so I hope I have more to report.

But who knows...

Oliver