Thread: Was awoken ahead of a fire alarm

Was awoken ahead of a fire alarm

Yesterday I had a slightly uncomfortable experience in the end of a dream that caused me to wake up.
    2-3 minutes afterwards I heard the fire alarm from a nearby building, some minutes later the fire trucks arrived but It was a false alarm.

Since I awoke ahead of the alarm I´m thinking that the dream kicked me out to make me alert of a possible future danger (2-3 minutes into the future anyway)
    Have you experienced similar things?

/Magic

Re: Was awoken ahead of a fire alarm

maybe not the same, but almost every day i wake one or two minutes before my alarm.
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Blog Entries

It's a strange thing, but it's been shown that the amygdala knows before the cognitive mind processes. It will race the heart and spur adrenaline even before the mind has gotten the picture. It is precognitive. May be behind the experience.
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Scientific Evidence Short-Term Precog

There is interesting scientific evidence of a short-term precognitive measurable body (and thus (dream) mind too?) effect by replicated lab experiments.

"Human physiology changes in predictable ways in anticipation of and after exposure to emotional visual stimuli. In a series of experiments reported by Radin (1997), it was found that even when stimuli were adequately randomized, so that the upcoming stimuli could not be inferred, that anticipatory responses (as measured by changes in skin conductance) before exposure to emotional pictures were significantly larger than before exposure to calm pictures.
    The results of three new experiments, the first and third close replications and the second a conceptual replication of Radin’s studies, confirm what was called a “presentiment” or prefeeling effect: The anticipation or “presponse” preceding emotional pictures in these studies, measured again as changes in skin conductance, was greater than the presponse preceding calm pictures."
    - Bierman, Radin (2001)
    http://www.parapsy.nl/uploads/w1/retroc ... ucson3.pdf

"In 1997 parapsychologist Dean Radin designed a new series of automated experiments to test for presentiment. In these experiments, participants are monitored for biophysical parameters such as galvanic skin response, blood volume at the extremeties, etc, and then presented randomly with photographs which have either a "calm" content (e.g. landscapes, still life, etc), or an "emotional" content (erotic or violent). Within predicted parameters, the experiment showed positive results that for some participants there was a correlation between the content of the picture (calm vs. emotional) and a participant's measurements in the several-second interval preceding the presentation of the photo. The experiment's design is fairly secure in that the system is automated and double-blind, and the participant's measured reactions do not involve conscious responses. "
    http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Precognition
    (links on that site don't work anymore, I googled the scientific papers then myself)

similar papers by Radin only:

http://www.emergentmind.org/PDF_files.h ... versed.pdf
    http://www.boundaryinstitute.org/bi/articles/tri2.pdf
    This collector of useless clutter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic
    Have you experienced similar things?
    Yes, quite often. What quickly comes to mind is the years I breast fed my babies. Even though their patterns of night feeding would change, I always woke about a minute or two before they'd begin to stir and cry for food and comfort.

It took me considerable time to realise this but I've always had extremely quick reflexes. There are those games you play where you have to press the lit up panel before your opponent presses his/hers or you get a little shock. Someone brought that to work one day and I played against several of the physical education teachers (one of whom was particularly cocky) but I still don't know what that shock feels like. When I used to pay netball as a kid there was a part in the game where you stand three feet apart and the ball is tossed up between you and your opponent and the person with the quickest reflexes grabs it for their team. I rarely ever missed that ball. I also recently had a "puff test" on my eyes to test my maculars. Again, the reflex was extremely quick; the optometrist expressing surprise and saying it was well outside the average range. At the same time, I feel my brain has slowed down in terms of recalling knowledge I've had for years, even trivial stuff, as I've aged. I've long entertained the notion that quick reflexes might be the result of the kind precognition that seems supported by the studies Eyeoneblack and Volgerie have referenced.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

i often wake up like this prior to my intended wake up, with a female voice, almost childlike saying, "ok, time to get up". now, i jokingly say before i go to sleep, "ok, wake me around such and such time". if i could just get "?her?' to have a pot of coffee made for me...
    I Don't Ever Give Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpTyT1Wj_I

"I'm no fighter, but I'm fighting, this whole world seems uninviting..."

Making Love Out of Nothing @ ALL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFsyC4LqK4

Az for Me, of my Self, I am Home

Blog Entries

...pot of coffee... funny

Just this afternoon I went to the mailbox and a sense of rest and assurance told me the long and anxious waiting for the renewed credit card was happily ended. I've had the card forever but the financial meltdown of late has caused card issuers to act mindless and arbitrary and I worried it might not be renewed without cause.

I pulled the mail out and there it was! But, somehow, I already knew that. [cue theme from Twilight Zone]
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by me
    might not be renewed without cause.
    I guess an intervening bankruptcy might be cause enuf, duh. But you see? I survived with a little help from my friends.

R R R
    - E Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by eyeoneblack
    ...pot of coffee... funny

Just this afternoon I went to the mailbox and a sense of rest and assurance told me the long and anxious waiting for the renewed credit card was happily ended. I've had the card forever but the financial meltdown of late has caused card issuers to act mindless and arbitrary and I worried it might not be renewed without cause.

I pulled the mail out and there it was! But, somehow, I already knew that. [cue theme from Twilight Zone]
    actually, that reminds me...i found a copy of Kurt Leland's Otherwhere online a few weeks ago, for a reasonable price and ordered it.
    i knew it was gonna take a couple of weeks to arrive.
    anyway, i'd been wondering when it would get here, when, a few days ago, the front door buzzer went. i looked at the time, it was 11.11am, and i knew that it was the book arriving.
    and so it was.
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.