Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: E1B's dream journal

Blog Entries

E1B's dream journal

Might as well start my own.

I don't consider our waking life any different from our dreaming life - it's just another plane of consciousness, so I look at RL symbols in the same way as dreaming symbols. With that in mind...

Opossums are the symbol. I came home tonight and this darn baby 'possum is on my bed. Later I discover he's peed on my pillow. No pillow tonight. Before him was an adolescent possum and before him was a full-grown adult. 'Possums, possums, possums.

In a way it doesn't bother me (except that he peed on my pillow). I like all god's creatures and this one little is really pretty cute. But I'd rather not make him a pet - I need him gone and as soon as he's back out of the house the cat door is sealed at night. But, like I said, what does 'possum have to say to me?

He's N. America's only marsupial - does this mean something to my psyche?
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Re: E1B's dream journal

Wait! 'Possums play dead and stink like carrion in order not to be eaten.

Is this to say I should be more lively (play alive), smell nice and get eaten? That's horrifying. A killing thought. Not to let you in on too much, but I do pretty much stay undercover - try to be invisible in order not to be disturbed.

Hmmm.

Well the 'possum's got to go if I can ever get him out of the house. He's still here in the study with me - can't scare him off. Poor little fella'.
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Aug 21, 1:30 p.m.
    I've lost the early parts - just going to grab what I can.

I have to pick up my daughter from school. A person has taken me there, but she has hurried me and I didn't get my pants on. I'm nicely dressed in a navy suit coat, neru style, but it just barely covers my privates. The school appears to be in the forest, it is dark with pools of artificial light. I lurk around trying not to be noticed but she's expecting me and I have to find her among the other and kids and parents. I do and nobody makes any comment about me not having my pants on and we leave.

Skip.

We're taking an alternative form of transportation. Four are to sit in the 'bailer' (box compactor at work). The big steel door swings out and the girls are already in but as Dad and I get in the 'car' starts moving. We grab on to the door but we can't get in and shut it. I yell to the driver to stop, but it's too noisy, I can't yell loud enough. Dad doesn't have a very good hold on the door and I'm afraid he's going to fall off.

We ride this way for some time, just hanging on, then the situation changes so now we're in the back of a large car traveling a dirt road. But now the imminent danger is the car is on fire near the gas tank and if we stop it will blow up. We're going home, but in order not to stop we take this long winding road.

I tell Dad it's ok, that I know this road well and we look out the windows and there many UFO's in the sky. They're radio control UFO's and this is a place in the country the RC people come fly them. The blue sky is full these white translucent disks.

We get home, but again we can't stop the car. We're driving around in circles, again darkness and trees are a feature. We decide to bail out and we do. I hit the ground and roll and when I get up the car has hit a tree and broken in two. Everybody's back up and I tell them to run but just then the car explodes. I think everybody is Ok but then I see this guy (the driver) standing over the burning car angrily throwing something at it.

He's on fire, but the fire is internal - he's glowing like a white hot iron. I panic and grab a yellow water hose, but I see the spigot on the house and the hose attached to it is green. I run to the house and turn it on and when I come back the burning man is on the ground and I dowse him with water. He only squints because of the water in his face because he's all right.

My 'dad' tells me the burning man driver thinks my pipe started the fire [I smoke a tobacco pipe]). I think, of course he does, I have fire on board, it's not the cause, but I wouldn't think I could convince him otherwise. So I resolve to ignore the accusation.

Then we're back on the country road and leaving it, take down a steep embankment at the bottom of which are large impressions of animal foot prints in the soft dirt. I remark that there is a large animal around. The person with me says there sure is, and this Irish Setter (?) charges up like he's my own best friend. We pet and hug and I wake up.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eyeoneblack
    Is this to say I should be more lively (play alive), smell nice and get eaten?
    Not the worst possum-bilities.

Also be open to the idea of getting a new pillow.

Before him was an adolescent possum and before him was a full-grown adult. 'Possums, possums, possums.
    Seems like a reversal - going from adult to baby, kind of like regression.

Cheers,
    Oliver

Blog Entries

Ah, there's the good ole' forest dream symbol again. Too bad there's an Irish Setter at the end - I think you dream like this on purpose...

Barely covered privates - issues of privacy, also issues of "being seen" - here in public. The forest and school are symbols of growth and learning, and given former remarks you've made about your daughter it's no wonder you expect her to be there already.

Now the darkness and the artificial light are to be considered. In my opinion natural light is the best kind of light to have in a dream, it can really be awesome. But you describe this:

is dark with pools of artificial light
    This could be a note about your chosen method of illumination (and learning), or could denote a dark night phase or a need for true illumination. Of course a lot of gruesome fairy tale stuff happens deep in the dark forest, but it's not where you usually find a school, so I'm ruling the "dark forest" symbol out, as there are also no scary things around.

Having no pants on is a common dream topic, and can go from shyness over feeling exposed or "becoming exposed" to many similar ideas. Note however how others (in the dream) do not share your concerns. You react to exposure by "lurking" - like here:

try to be invisible in order not to be disturbed.
    But that's not from a dream...

BTW, I know possums only from Disney cartoons, but don't they hang down from branches "head down?" So maybe not only regression, but also reversal.

Oliver

Blog Entries

About the light, this next little fragment deals again with the problem. The lighting is akin to being in a cave with a 'cap light' on the forehead. Where I look is illuminated, but all else is dark. Here are the rats again. Many of them are scrambling around my feet. I look away and in the darkness the rats swarm my feet. I look down and kick one and keep trying to kick them but I really can't kick very hard - it doesn't bother them.

Finally I decide there's really nothing wrong with them, they're warm and soft and don't mean any harm so I just accept them as mine and wake up.

This has been a time of major upheaval in my life - I'm doing another 180 like I have so often in the past. There comes a time in my life when I have to wipe the slate clean, start over, reinvented again. I was born into this world an artist and no matter what else, what other 'reasonable' livelihoods I take up, eventually I'm called back to the hand-to-mouth existence of a minor artist with some talent, obsessed with the need to create something, anything, but create I must.

I quit WalMart the other day, but they weren't happy with that and will suggest some changes that might make life there for more agreeable, but I haven't contacted them about these ideas - even if they promote me to mgmt, I sense that it is over no matter what and must resist any entreaty to stay.

It's a matter of intuition, of reading the entire environment and sensing that it's time to move on. But these sort of things are always stressful.

And Oliver I think therein may lie the regression and reversal motif you so insightfully suggest.

Richard
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

p.s. A friend told my once a long time ago, if you can't make your life a booming success at least try to make it a good read.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Extremes make good stories, but lead to a very exhausting life, I'd say.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Hello, Richard.

About the light, this next little fragment deals again with the problem. The lighting is akin to being in a cave with a 'cap light' on the forehead. Where I look is illuminated, but all else is dark.
    A cap light is illumination associated with yourself. You're "shining a light on things."

Oppose this with the Source which is often the sun or source of all light that you experience in otherworldly scenarios. It illuminates without effort, is the source of all light, energy and warmth, illumination itself.

If you walk around in the dark this could denote feeling severed from the Source. For example by existential depression - similarly as with the real sun people get depressed from lack of sunlight. The sunlight of the Source (and its intermediary, the soul) is your life force. When I used to be severely depressed I used to describe it as "sitting at the bottom of a deep dark hole."

In this sense the searching and the movement is positive, as is the illumination - whatever the origin of the darkness around you, you keep on searching, moving, trying to go beyond it.

Cheers,
    Oliver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
    If you walk around in the dark this could denote feeling severed from the Source. For example by existential depression - similarly as with the real sun people get depressed from lack of sunlight. The sunlight of the Source (and its intermediary, the soul) is your life force. When I used to be severely depressed I used to describe it as "sitting at the bottom of a deep dark hole."

In this sense the searching and the movement is positive, as is the illumination - whatever the origin of the darkness around you, you keep on searching, moving, trying to go beyond it.
    You're really right on again, Oliver. I've been dealing with depression that I haven't known in a couple of years - actually thought I was cured for good, it having been a constant companion my entire life. I'm feeling much better today, having turned in my badge at work I'm looking forward to a different life - a creative life again, some hiking and camping; a vacation really.

I'll be able to rejoin my meditation group too! which will definitely be good for me.

Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

Richard
    - E Hubbard