Thread: Real-time chats

star Guest

Real-time chats

How boring, I keep thinking.

Anyone spend time on Facebook talking in real-time about these topics or practice with others? Post here if you know of a good place for those chats or whatnot.

stephy Guest

Re: Real-time chats

I'm sure there are quiet a few places.
    http://www.mirc.com/

Been a long while, to many chat places to go to lol.

selfknowing Guest

Some people from astralpulse do it but I haven't participated. I see the link all the time on one of the frequent poster's signature lines though.

i have found over the years that 'real time chat' is heavily obstructed by forced opinionation and meaness. while this format, while it may seem boring, leads in a more peaceful manner, given to more time to consider one's worded message. but, i did do 'chat' for a long spell...once. usually we had to take it out of 'room' and into the 'loft' to have any real discussion. skype is good, but it too is time consuming to the point of distraction, especially when time zones come into play. being wide awake talking to someone in their pjs trying to swallow morning coffee is not condusive to exchange of ideas.

tim
    I Don't Ever Give Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpTyT1Wj_I

"I'm no fighter, but I'm fighting, this whole world seems uninviting..."

Making Love Out of Nothing @ ALL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFsyC4LqK4

Az for Me, of my Self, I am Home

While i agree with tim, real time chat be it VoIP, or just over a messenger tends to be more personal, and to an extent allows for greater connectivity between the people involved. of course, thats why it can turn into a yelling match...its more personal. both have fairly equal pros and cons, so i think it comes down to personal preference.
    I think developing a connection with other people is probably one of the most important things you can do in your life, but i'm a little on the anti-social side when it comes to people that i don't already have that connection with. Plus, i like being able to read something, think about it for an hour, respond, and perhaps later end up with another interesting read for a responce...something to look forward to

I certainly think it would be cool to have that option available on the website. I probably wouldn't use it aside from special circumstances, but i'm sure there are people that would. People will do it anyways if they really want to tho.
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

asalantu Guest

I'll point on disavantages of some types of chat.

1 - Being VOIP (Voice Internet Protocol, or something like) has the problem of poor (or none) understandability for those individual with first language non-english. Valuable for english speaking individuals but only a mix of sounds for those non english-speakers.

2 - Other type of chat has the problem arising from the fact they don't allow registry of its contents. That don't occurs at "chats" like those supported by this forums. Valuable opinion interchange (threads) are lost when chats are of MIRC of Messenger type.

My best regards,
    Ángel