Thread: Kurt Leland, "Menus for Impulsive Living"

Blog Entries

Kurt Leland, "Menus for Impulsive Living"

This is a rather old one, his first. It's almost entiredly channeled from Charles, unlike his later books.

The "menus" in the title is a bit misleading, it was a few years after the home computer revolution, so more people were familiar with using the keyboard to navigate through menus. The idea is to have items for each area of life on a menu - basic body functions are on A, working out the body and maintaining it on B, soul-inspired surprises like synchronicities on G (but the soul gets to pick, not you, as for A, where to body gets to pick).

I was actually extremely surprised by the material contained. It describes how to build a daily schedule on the body's impulses - when to eat, when to sleep, and when - well - to go, and how these are also affected by your soul.

In part II of the book a detailed description for example of the sleep process is given, including why there are hypnagogic images (encoding the information from the day into the symbolic language of the soul for "transmission" at night), the different reasons for when we wake up, and how to counterbalance some issues one might have in the area.

Similarly for all other body functions listed under Menu A.

This information alone is a gold mine, because it makes so much sense. Why there are nightmares, how a change in diet can help letting go of old habits and break down old beliefs, how much sleep is enough and how problematic sleep habits affect how your day unfolds, including signs to spot for different problems, like waking up feeling stiff.

The basic premise of the book is that when you've established your natural schedule, and follow the impulses you get, you can get more done, and enjoy life more. Even applying a bit of it feels like improvement.

The book is out of print, but used copies seem to be available at moderate prices.

Oliver

Re: Kurt Leland, "Menus for Impulsive Living"

i've been wanting to get this since reading Otherwhere...

adding to the "must buy" list..
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Blog Entries

Hmm, this is interesting - I just read it.

Charles speaks about the sleep cycle is related to the eating.

I surely eat plenty, but never made the connection presented therein - that you need to eat roughly every six hours or symptoms of starvation set in while you sleep. I woke recently in the middle of the night with appetite for a snack or a glass of juice, I suppressed the urge because I worried about having to brush my teeth.

I woke with the predicted result - stiff muscles. I never made the connection. Redistributing my mealtimes a little could make me sleep better and make me better rested than sleeping longer or any certain amount of time.

Oliver

that is interesting indeed.
    for years now i've found that i sleep best after having a snack quite late in the evening.
    does he mention about the ideal length of time to sleep? what is optimum?
    i'm sure i remember some of the info that came thru in one or two of the Monroe Explorer recordings, saying that shorter sleep periods, twice or three times in a day would benefit us more than one single 8 hour sleep..
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Blog Entries

Hello, Neil.

Charles says that practically no one - except when sick - needs 8 hours of sleep. As little as 5 1/2 hours can be sufficient - but it varies. That's why it's important to mind the impulse of when to go to sleep instead of keeping a strict schedule.

The urge to waken is triggered by the soul - usually by having to go pee. That's when you had enough sleep (unless you wake in the middle of the night) and if you feel still groggy, early intake of fruit juice and exercise is recommended.

That's also the reason why so many people wake just before their alarms - the soul knows their needs, the needs of others and their demands on them, etc. The need for sleep is then timed to match those needs.

So, basic sleep plus one or two 20 minute naps a day would be optimum to maintain optimal clarity throughout the day. He's specific not to aim for longer or deeper naps, else you feel groggy. Also, meditation can replace the naps, as sitting in meditation also can trigger the soul communication process.

There's a whole chapter on the sleep process and a whole chapter on the "awakening impulse." It's pretty interesting - it's almost like the owner's manual for your body that nobody ever gave you.

Cheers,
    Oliver

Blog Entries

The channelled entity, Seth, said something similar about sleep.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Synchronistically, I was just reading about scientific studies that indicate that people who sleep 6-7 hours (rather than eight, or even more) live longer.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Well, I've been applying the advice from this book for some time now and especially this Saturday it proved to be absolutely right on the money.

The "Menus System" uses the body's rhythms to provide a natural schedule instead of clock hours. Each day should - guided by impulses - contain something from each menu - Physical Focus, Self-Awareness, Work, Play and Cycles. Time slots should be dedicated to certain menus at least once a day to gain access to as much energy as possible and sustain high degrees of clarity. No more than two consecutive time slots should go to a menu - else symptoms like grogginess or even a headache might set in.

This Saturday I went into work to finish of a programming project that was challenging, but also self-contained enough to be finished in a limited amount of time. I walked to work and started digging in - two time slots went by rather quickly, but a lot got done. Then I realised my concentration was deteriorating as I tried to go on. So I "changed menu" and did some Qigong and meditated on my body to relax. The things one can get away with when being alone at work!

When I returned to work I felt I could do some more, so I did. I ordered some food to be delivered and then finished my work. I realised further things could be added to it to improve, but also that there was no way I could go on with the work menu. So I went home. I had spent 6 hours at work and had accomplished what I had come in for, and done better than I originally had expected. I spent the rest of the day with other activities.

What I especially like about the Menus sytem is that it encourages a lot of things I usually do that are not necessarily encouraged by the environment. At work I will mix activities like getting in touch with co-workers about their lives (Cycles menu), having a short walk at noon (Physical Focus) or goof around with some of my co-workers (Play). While not necessarily encouraged by employers these are vital to getting through a long workday without burning out. I feel validated by knowing this instead of just feeling like slacking or something similar.

Many activities of my life now seem a bit more significant or like tending to an aspect of myself than just burdensome. If I dedicate a time slot to Cycles it is interesting how much I can get done in one go - vacuuming the apartment, doing the dishes, doing the laundry can sometimes be accomplished in the same slot, leaving time for other activities and also a better feeling about my living space for the rest of the day.

While I'm still experimenting with incorporating this into my days, I already see improvement.

Oliver