Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's good to think -- but not too much

It's good to think -- but not too much

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11340881

I think the article's title is a little misleading, of course. It says, "Cognitive psychologist Dr Tracy Alloway from the University of Stirling, who was not involved in the latest study, said that some people have a tendency to brood too much and this leads to a risk of depression." Obviously, excessive brooding / worrying exerts un-needed stress on one's health.

Blog Entries

Re: It's good to think -- but not too much

Without having read the article (yet) I'm going to agree with the statement. I see this all the time but it's possible that a little depression now and then is potentially constructive, at least in my experience.

Okay, read it now and feel a need to add that thinking about your thinking can lead you away from depression, depending on how you think it.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

3. Re: It's good to think -- but not too much

How anyone can judge without reading an article, it is necessary to read an article for taking a meaningful decision. But you did not give any.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john.huston45
    How anyone can judge without reading an article, it is necessary to read an article for taking a meaningful decision. But you did not give any.
    John, I'm not sure who you're talking to, but please be respectful. Both Yama and Beekeeper read the article (read Beekeeper's whole post), and meaning is in the eye of the beholder.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

what if the beholder is blind.

(no insult its just late)

Blog Entries

The blind still behold things. They just don't do it with their eyes.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Not so random quote of the day for mee:

Thinking is gooooooddd

"Have we taken into account the overall situation or are we considering only specifics? Is our view short-term or long-term?Are we being short-sighted or clear-eyed? Is our motive genuinely compassionate when considered in relation to the totality of all beings? Or is our compassion limited just to our families, our friends, and those we identify with closely? Just as in the practice of discovering the true nature of our thought and emotion, we need to THINK, THINK, THINK."

-His Holiness the 14th Dalailama
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells there’s 100 trillion atoms that’s more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.

Blog Entries

Heliac, the article wasn't about thinking being a bad thing but about the need to temper it. I think we all know that to think is necessary, to contemplate deeply is wonderful but to brood consumes a lot of energy and, by definition, leads to misery. This can lead down more constructive avenues but it isn't a given.
    Williams)

Hey Beekeeper,

I guess sometimes brooding can be a bad thing. Although sometimes some of the best ideas come when you are hell bent on finding a solution for something and your mind is filled with a constant unrelenting idea or thought or desire. The obsessive brooding type are often quite brilliant.

People who are thirsty and desperate and are consumed with sweating it out can sure get a lot done at times. I guess it does hurt and is quite miserable but a constant rumination at least towards some end goal or at times none at all can also do wonders.

Thinking in moderation is good i guess. I like that saying, everything in moderation, even moderation. It's ok to push the envelope and get your crazy guy brooding, meditative, brainstorm on.
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells there’s 100 trillion atoms that’s more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.

Blog Entries

So, we are on the same page here. Yep, I've brooded with good effect but it can be tiresome not just on yourself but also on others. I have a mother who does nothing but brood. She broods on her health issues, she broods on the problems of her kids, she broods on her past. It's her primary mode of operation and it gets her nowhere.
    Last edited by Beekeeper; 7th July 2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Williams)