Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: It's good to think -- but not too much

Blog Entries

Re: It's good to think -- but not too much

Hey Eyeoneblack, way to condescend!

I was referencing a documentary I watched some years ago but could not find online. A quick search verifies that Maleva Maric did study physics and mathematics and did exceptionally well until she became pregnant. I remember the documentary insisting that she did a lot of the computation for Einstein, however, I see that this is contentious because there seems to be little support for it.

Rather, it is much more likely that Mileva's contributions were those of an assistant and a sounding board—a common role among both women scientists and wives of scientists, and one that rendered even the most talented and productive among them virtually invisible. In Mileva's case, it is likely that she discussed Einstein's ideas, proofread his papers and, possibly, helped with some of the mathematical proofs.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/einsteinswife/science/mquest.htm

That doesn't make me stupid, btw, it means I took something as fact because it was presented that way.

Quote Originally Posted by E1B
    Don't mean to be contrary, but accuracy is important. There have been men whose wives were instramental in their accomplishments but I don't think Einstein and his spouse qualify.
    I tend to think that keeping someone fed, clothed, healthy and sane is a contribution, but of course, that wasn't my original statement.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

I'll get back to you, Beek, with something of an apology. It's not Einstein, but a deeper issue that bothers me - very delicate I fear
    I'll need to choose my words carefully (not easy for me), but friends we are and will remain.

Richard
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Never mind. That post put us back where it's nice to be. Besides which, if you look at my dream journal, you'll see an Eris archetype has been playing with me so I'm conscious now of not stirring up gender issues! I teach boys and I'm a mother of boys and I love 'em all.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Thank you Beeky, didn't want to go there. :whew:
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard