Thank you for the advice, that cleared up some of my confusion.
I think I learned quite a bit from my failed AP experience today. First thing I learned is that it IS a lot harder to do when curled up in a ball on your side, second thing I learned is that even though it's easier for me to disconnect from my body when I am on the edge of sleep, I need to learn how to do this with my mind wide awake. I could have been successful and went exploring, but since I was always a few moments away from sleep I might not even remember it.

This is off topic, but I had a funny dream the other night. It was a lucid dream where I was showing people how I could walk through walls and put my arm through a tv. They were very impressed! It felt so strange to put my arm through the tv, I could feel a heavy tingling sensation. Then I tried something I never did in my dreams, I put my right hand through my left hand! It was harder to do, but I told myself that since this was a dream I should be able to do it. Everyone wanted to know how I was doing these things I told them that it was simple - my dream= my rules! I told them next time they had a lucid dream to try it, ( lol, made perfect sense at the time!). And last night I had another lucid dream, it was my usual ghost dream. Where I call them out ( I say "any spirits or ghosts here feel free to come out and chat") and sit and talk to them and ask them questions. I'm becoming a ghost psychiatrist in my dreams!

Thank you again for your input, I agree I do need to do more energy work. I am just always so tired I fall asleep. (life of a single mom of 2 little ones I guess!)

sweet dreams!
-natalie