Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fear and the Law of Attraction (LOA)

Blog Entries

Fear and the Law of Attraction (LOA)

There's a statement, kind of like an extension to the LOA, many may know about: Fear attracts the object of fear. From my point of view this statement is not really well understood, so I thought I'd write what comes to me when touching upon this idea.

It's a statement that can cause confusion or worry. Am I somehow not supposed to fear? Is that even possible? A feeling can arise that breeds some kind of distrust into a universe that follows such rules, or a wariness of one's own thoughts. I'd personally say, reactions that are not truly helpful to the individual or help one's growth.

One idea I tend to think of as misconception is that the Universe somehow is a stupid machine. So, I'm afraid of something, I get it delivered to my doorstep sooner or later. In an unintelligent universe, perhaps, but in my experience the reality that surrounds us reacts in subtle ways that at times simply baffle me in hindsight. So, "Fear attracts the object of fear." is a deceptively simple statement that hardly does the reality behind it justice, but there's probably no better and certainly not a more concise way to put it.

I think an example will help:

Let's say you're afraid of mountain lions. This will not deliver mountain lions to your doorstep. But it might bring events into your life you have to deal with, depending on how much your fear of mountain lions distorts the way you conduct your life.

Let's say you become for one reason or another obsessed with this fear. You avoid the outdoors, because there's a hypothetical risk of mountain lions. As a result, your health might deteriorate. You miss out on all kinds of healthy or relaxing outdoors activities that might counterbalance your sedentiary lifestyle with the ever-same impressions around you. Your consciousness narrows, your health is impacted.

Subtle warnings may arise, probably benign. Friends might want to tempt you out of your "hermit life style." Your doctor recommends hiking against your back problems. You meet a desirable partner who regularly goes out to hike. Construction workers damage the TV cable in your street, depriving you of your primary form of entertainment, while outside you have wonderful weather, sunshine, butterflies.

Mind you, still no mountain lions just because you're afraid of mountain lions.

So, okay, it gets worse. You start to develop ever more odd habits. Now you hardly ever leave your apartment. Probably because you now are also afraid you have a feeble back - that's what the doctor said, right? And that partner rejected you, they never called you back when you hoped, it was a huge disappointment, rather stay home today, don't feel like anything. You develop fears, you stay home from work, feel uncomfortable in open spaces.

Now the events entering your life become more potentially harmful. Your bad performance at your job, the missed appointments, your odd behaviour get you in trouble with your boss, there's the real risk of getting fired, your boss told you. You have a horrible night because you didn't go out to get that medication you need and then had a panic attack at 3am that this might cause great harm and there was no way to get it now. And so on.

You still haven't attracted a single mountain lion, but you certainly attracted a lot of "bad stuff." In fact, now you might have something real to be afraid of - losing your job is for real. A lot more real than any potential mountain lion just lurking round the corner. So, why did these things get attracted to you in the first place?

All of these were signs that encourage a change in behaviour. The more you resist the more alarming signs might appear. But every sign carries a potential for change for the better.

If you take the doctor's advice, you might have nice walks in the nature, and suddenly after a week you wouldn't want to miss them for anything. And there you meet that desirable partner again that didn't call back, and you have a nice chat and end up married with children - if that's your cup of tea.

Or you realise that losing your job is a very real danger to your existence, and you take the warning, and you face your fear because so much is at stake. You might seek therapy. You confront things that you didn't confront. You turn your life around and make a change. Everything might not instantly change to nice again - the consequences of your actions have to be dealt with. But things are improving again in the long run.

From my point of view such a chain of events does not simply happen because you're afraid of mountain lions. It happens because the fear begins to take over your life and prevents you from living a life you enjoy and that is true to your purpose. When you stopped going outdoors, you started to neglect part of your wellbeing. That's when the signals for change started to happen. When you stopped taking proper care of matters like your job, you're threatening your own capability to maintain yourself properly.

What if the universe just let you be? No consequences, no signs, no warnings and signals? What if you ended up living alone, getting your groceries delivered, and even ironically living amidst 30 cats in your apartment, finally getting kicked out because the landlord just had enough, what good would it serve you? Or if just lived alone, avoiding outside contact because of your mounting phobias - would you enjoy such an existence? Would that really be your choice if you consciously chose it?

So, all the seemingly harmful events in this example serve a purpose. Each of them warns you of your own harmful behaviour (harmful to yourself), harmful beliefs and gives you consequences to match. Not always in obvious ways.

And in the end sometimes to match your original problem - because the fear of mountain lions is the fear of death, survival fear. For many people losing their job also triggers severe survival fear. So, in the end, in this example, the fear for your own physical survival attracted a potential threat to your physical survival - but not blindly. There was a chain of events and a chain of reactions to match that created this reality. Fear created the reality that was feared to begin with.

So, if you're afraid of mountain lions but if it doesn't prevent you from living a full life rich with purpose, fear doesn't necessarily attract the object of fear. Of course, there's the small matter of spiritual evolution...

So, you have been doing fine all these years. Mountain lions didn't prevent you from finding that partner, have kids, you have chosen a spiritual journey for yourself. You meditate now.

Then something odd happens. Your kids' favorite pasttime is now visiting the zoo, and of all animals they could see mountain lions are their favorite. You have nightmares featuring mountain lions. Why do these uncomfortable situations arise for you? What's the point? Has the LOA kicked in and attracted all these mountain lions after all?

In a sense, yes. The more you advance along your own spiritual evolution, even minor distortions of your behaviour become "harmful." Some may have noticed it for themselves, actually. I was pointed to it and have observed it in my life. When you chose this path of development, events can come your way that challenge you. Depending on how you experience it it might be similar to being constantly challenged, or be stripped of certain things in your life, it might be uncomfortable.

The more you refine your consciousness the less you can have things like fear. The rule of thumb becomes true - you are confronted more pressingly with issues you need to release. This does hardly seem to be an improvement. But it is part of the process of cleansing your consciousness. You simply cannot have a calm mind if phobias upset it too often. You simply cannot seek purpose and expansion everywhere if you deny yourself many courses of action out of fear. Fear arranges your mind in undesirable ways, and the desire to develop spiritually puts you at odds with the contents of your mind. Your mind on fear is not the mind of clarity. On your journey to enlightenment you have to lighten that burden.

Ultimately, many, many fears root in the fear of death and being afraid you might not exist at some point. Ironically, this fear prevents you from experiencing the immortality of consciousness. The fear is obscuration, preventing you from experiencing liberation, a joyful, calm mind and bliss. What once was but a grain of sand regarding to the state of your overall consciousness becomes a pebble and then a rock, and sooner or later it has to go. And as the rock is gone you peek behind a point even finer than a grain of sand and glimpse consciousness. Ever more.

Because when you tried to calm your mind in meditation all those thoughts came up. And they came up for a reason. These were the coarse contents of your mind. And when you can release them, you might find the fine contents of your mind. And while you try to release those, you might find surprising things. Instead of constantly being distracted by all those things within the mind, you might see the mind itself. Consciousness without content. The watcher. The background for what happens.

So, here the LOA is at work, too. The desire to achieve spiritual growth fuels a process that helps you achieve that goal. Challenges arise designed to clear out obscurations. Fear will attract the object of fear. Until your consciousness can finally overcome the obscuration of fear, step by step. The fruit born of the intention.
    Looking for assistance in sorting things out in your life? My intuitive friend Robyn can help. http://intuitivebalance.weebly.com/

My blog: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/blog.php?1595-Korpo

Blog Entries

Re: Fear and the Law of Attraction (LOA)

That is a wonderful and insightful article, Oliver. I just wanted to mention that before it became popular as the "Law of Attraction", it was called the "Law of Mind Action". I never liked the popular name, but it's the name that stuck.
    Cheers.
    AD Pedia:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...abetical-Order
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php

"Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

You have outdone yourself, Oliver. I hope I can one day be of such help to you, as you have helped me now.

Thank you.

John
    ...but my words like silent raindrops fell
    and echoed in the wells of silence.

Blog Entries

Looking for assistance in sorting things out in your life? My intuitive friend Robyn can help. http://intuitivebalance.weebly.com/

My blog: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/blog.php?1595-Korpo

Really great article Oliver
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells thereís 100 trillion atoms thatís more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.

selfknowing Guest

Yes, really insightful and packed full of observations and info. I'll have to read it many times.

7. Re: Fear and the Law of Attraction (LOA)

This is really good reading...I enjoyed it a lot...and need to do some thinking over this....

Fear of pain and/or loss is probably my biggest fears I have to overcome, oh and of course the old stand by - fear of fear itself. I use a symbol that I work with in trance. Using this I am calling forth a higher spiritual power, much greater than my silly thinking mind, to pull my consciousnes up and over this fearful level. I am calling forth divine courage. It is amazing what one can overcome when they side with the higher aspect of oneself. Don't get me wrong, I am still a chicken about alot of things, but I have grown alot and will continue to grow.

i find that the LOA version of manifesting, is faulty and has quite a few gaps, another important gap is intent, i remember watching the dvd and it said that if i what something and always think about it il EVENTUALLY get it, but who wants to EVENTUALLY get something, when ever we want something we create resistance, but when ever we intend we effortlessly create, no resistance, no waiting, just creating

a good example(try it) get a pot of water and put it on a stove just turn on the flame to its highest temperature(be safe) and just look at it and just think of proving me wrong and making that water boil by wanting it alone, but when you leave the room or just look away it will effortlessly boil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayred78
    i remember watching the dvd
    Are you referring to "The Secret"? There's a lot more on the topic of conscious manifesting of reality (as opposed to unconscious manifesting, which we do all the time, anyway). "The Secret" is shallow and overproduced, and it's certainly not the best source of information. Rather far from it. And it is also not the originator of the phrase "Law of Attraction".

Quote Originally Posted by jayred78
    a good example(try it) get a pot of water and put it on a stove just turn on the flame to its highest temperature(be safe) and just look at it and just think of proving me wrong and making that water boil by wanting it alone, but when you leave the room or just look away it will effortlessly boil
    This is just a demonstration of the old adage that "a watched pot never boils". And, for what it's worth, it's not true. It WILL boil if you're standing there. It just seems to take longer due to the fact that time is relative.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast