Thread: Remembering dreams

Remembering dreams

I'm in my late middle ages and for years, when discussing dreams, I'd simply say that I never remembered my dreams. For the most part that was true. I'd have vague memories but no longer than a couple of minutes after waking and then the memories would be gone. This was true up until a couple of months ago when I began writing down bits of the dreams and keeping a journal. I typically have to get up once or twice each night and I began keeping a note pad and pen handy and jotting down notes and then transcribing the notes into a dream journal.

All that effort and mental power sometimes kept me awake longer than I liked so I bought a relatively inexpensive digital recorder and I keep it in my bookcase headboard so I can now simply record into the device without getting up or concentrating on writing and play bay the recording the next morning - and drift right back to sleep. Sometimes I'll begin replaying the recorder and not even remember having the dream until 3-4 seconds into the recording when it all returns in a flood. The result is that, from not being able to remember 1 dream a month for many years, I can now remember at least 2-3 dreams each night, and remember them in vivid detail after only a couple of weeks effort. It's a great system that really works.

As an added bonus, the recorder has a USB port that also allows me to record self hypnosis scripts and affirmations to upload to my computer and download into my MP3 player.

Blog Entries

Re: Remembering dreams

I need to get me one of those. I sometimes do the keyword thing, if I am awake enough. But it's not the same, there are so many times where I've woken up to think "I'll write it down as soon as I get up" to then lose it.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

I have the Sony ICD-PX820 digital voice recorder and I'm very happy with it. It has 2GB of built-in flash memory, you can store up to 535 hours of recordings and the USB port makes it a snap to upload self hypnosis scripts and affirmations to the computer and use in conjunction with Neuro Programmer 2 or simply download to your MP3. It's so much easier and better to record thoughts and impressions than to try jotting keywords. You can record in detail in a few seconds and drift back to sleep and you don't need to turn on the lights to do so either. I know this is the single biggest factor in going from nearly zero dream recall to remembering incredible details. You'll be happy you got one.

Remembering dreams has to do with letting your brain know it's important to remember a dream. You should make an effort every day after waking up to recall as much as you can and write it down (record it). The more you practice, the more details (and later dreams) you can recall.

A little trick for you: the way memory works is pretty interesting. One piece of information (dream) is linked to other pieces of information that might have very little to do with the first one. For example, while having a dream, your brain "memorizes" in what position your body is, what sounds and noises you're picking up unconsciously, etc. When you try to recall your dream, lie down in the position you were in when sleeping. Cover yourself with the blanket, etc. You get the idea

Blog Entries

Could it be good to mix the writing and recording in a way? Lets say you record your dreams in the voice recorder at night and later you write it down in your journal. It feels to me as if that is almost equally good considering the emphasis on the importance of letting your brain remember the dream. You record them and remember them when you play it back, and then you can write about it and at that time your applying the effort part to it all. The difference is where the effort comes in, but in my opinion it feels as if you still care as much about remembering all the small parts as your actually taking the time to write it all down. And that, to me, seems equally valid.
    I'm fortunate to have avery good telephone with an in build voice recorder. I'm just astounded I never thought of this.

Blog Entries

If you can manage it, I'd say yes. The problem is that my recorder is teeny-tiny and I can't figure out what the buttons are- so that when I wake up and want to keep my eyes closed, I can't manage it. So it's back to pen, paper & keywords when I decide I want to record my dreams.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Tried it tonight and it worked well for me. Just have to set the screen light a bit lower. Hurts my eyes in the midle of the night hehe.