Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: what is the meaning of mysticism and toward what purpose?

Re: what is the meaning of mysticism and toward what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by farewell2arms View Post
    My iPhone has a few songs on it, and sometimes I just say a prayer and press the "shuffle songs" button. Here's what came up a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNhRaiZG_k

It's a nice thing to do from time to time.
    John,

A long time ago, a Raven took me to and returned me from, on the way from, saying, "Don't forget, it's so black IT's blue".

It took losing my Mother 16 months ago to understand what that means, and in THAT, to gain my Mother forever. "Thanks MOM!"

Rihanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKyPS1Qeqs

Tim
    Last edited by Tutor; 14th April 2013 at 02:59 AM.
    I Don't Ever Give Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpTyT1Wj_I

"I'm no fighter, but I'm fighting, this whole world seems uninviting..."

Making Love Out of Nothing @ ALL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFsyC4LqK4

Az for Me, of my Self, I am Home

Blog Entries

The title of this thread, which is an old one I'd forgotten, piques my interest. And I'm going to be my usual maverick, unconventional self in answering.

It doesn't mean anything, ultimately. Mysticism means no more or less than drinking a cup of tea, or having a baby, or becoming an astronaut, or being a theatre director. It's a way of viewing the cosmos, an unusual way, to be sure, but still, it seems to be something some people are born with, although some develop some degree of mystical perspective through practice, etc. "As a mystic" is just one way that Consciousness may experience Creation, that is, that the Creator experiences Itself. Consciousness also experiences Creation as a bug, as a tree, as a criminal thug, as a baby who dies of malnutrition, as anything and everything you can possibly name or imagine.

I do think, with much hindsight and life experience as a lens, that mystical experience can, for some, ease the transition between the material I-Me-Mine default identity and a greater view/experience of Self, but I don't actually think mysticism is necessary or required. Certainly, there are accounts of genuine awakening that have happened to people who were in no way mystical or at all mystically inclined. There are accounts of Kundalini awakening in people who have never heard of Kundalini nor practiced any sort of yoga or anything else of that sort. There are plenty of instances of the Self awakening to Itself where mysticism played very little role. Too, there are an awful lot of mystics who never step beyond the sensational world of mysticism, who never awaken to much beyond these mystical experiences, who spend their entire lives playing in and with the sensations that are generally associated with mysticism. So it seems to me that while mysticism and awakening often do go hand in hand, mystical experience is what it is, and awakening is what it is, and they're not necessarily related.

I know I'm speaking heresy, but I've been a heretic most of my life, so one more heresy isn't going to affect me one way or the other.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

I keep sayin' 'ditto' to Butterfly and it's a little funny, but I don't see any sense in repeating her thoughts. She said it, I agree, and I'm a bit of a heretic myself. (Just got a bitter lesson on that on another site).

I might add, that my experience leads me to believe that many 'mystics' are charismatics - Tim Robbins types - who sell this and that because they're good at it, people like them and want to believe them. I refer to them as 'talking heads' in case you haven't noticed.

I recently watched movie 'Kumare' which is a good case in point. An EastIndian American poses as a guru and sucks Everyone in. Not surprised.
    Last edited by eyeoneblack; 14th April 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Some very good ideas and responses here. I think BW and EOB both articulated something I feel, but could not have said better.

B.

ButterflyWoman,

I agree; and not disagreeing, I might propose food for thought on having agreement. short proposal: James and Jude (Thomas Judas) the same person, from the mouth to the open mind; overhead a dark brooding storm of doom and gloom. Such a head faints not, with knees planted in the gospels, has faith that yet the sun is above; and from a given mailbox filled with letters, has hope of touching the light even if such light cannot be seen. Love burns through the gloom for the channel of nurture's feeling reach, as if potatoes in the dark cupboard suddenly from eyes sent forth feeling roots into the air.

One may be the child of everything under the sun that may of her be eaten, for everything in the rainbow symbollically is as a lion; that one as an each, ought not imaginatively permit to have eaten they.

Books, media types are meant as external confirmation for the affirming inward one seeking outward of others. they cannot serve as guides, yet may serve that which within guides the individuated one affirming. and yes, this requires one to realize themself within the confines of very personal experience. however, leads to the commonality of 'a human is a human is a human', all acting out from the same exposed fields of vulnerability within. tis humbling, yet only from this being humanly realized may one actually serve the commonality.

Richard, i disagree that a mystic is a charismatic, what the world would falsely identify as mystic is why there are plentiful charismatics imagining to be mystical. this is why i do not buy into or sell myself to any labels, no labeling name can contain what is human in the image of The Name from whence all naming is pursuant of names. since i am human, i dont imagine myself as that which i am in the image of, especially when right now there are over 7 billion of us globally. I merely one, as an each in every of One.

so, there is only One which i've an open mind to, that by called name i would within my heart answer to. beyond that, who amongst the commonality may label or name any other in every of One?

C'mon N' Ride IT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaSOEj2Kpsk

must be a Lionel Train...lol

Tim
    Last edited by Tutor; 14th April 2013 at 05:15 PM.

I reckon that upon all the books being opened, that many eyes marvel at what love has endured, this upon the myriad booked pages of US. God's very Glory. For ever. Amen.

God is Love and very much sees love as Us turned in the pages of our storied time. what will we do, when the sky reveals our heritage and the earth reveals to us as our inheritance? surely such a sight will seem as alien, for long have we awaited re-turning to what is forgotten of ages.

desire unto desire, of ages never given up, ever enduring, aspiring to greater heights, blessed heroes, each in every of one.

all eyes on Us, for we are the children of very God; the glory of very God's power, the empowered citizens of very God's Kingdom.

doubt and scepticism have served as good tools toward endurance. no worries for the given tools that brought us nigh unto nigh. for they've been as that which of could be written. aye, the very red ink which the quilled pen were dipped. for you see, and hear, that even He cryed out, "Father, why hast thou forsaken me!?"

who cannot but weep at THAT beauty which love's cry...out from depths within. deep calling to deep. amen.

this gate of our human nature, called BEAUTY. tis Love in deeds, and all love gets deeds...ownership, freedom, jubilee.

Hallel-u-Yah, always you twixt praise and God; for we, the body, are that which as songs of the Song, do bring praise ever and anon; yet anon gives way to ever, for ever. amen

yes, they do cry out from the rooftop, Glory Glory Halleluyah!

and He said, "It is finished" "Fear not, for I have conquered the world".

specific time carryed forward through time. for He said, "Pick up your cross and follow me".

and we by god did, not even knowing it; because we as the body of Christ could not do but as He himself had finished.

but, listen.....He does not return to repeat what was/is finished. for the finished finish is for ever. amen.

galah means reveal, and we have nothing to boast of beyond the death of our Lord that took our all as His body within it.

Gal. 5|6

Paul's 13th Epistle: Philemon receiving Onesimus, not as the servant Onesimi who fled as the thief; but rather as an equal brother received with the holy kiss.

it's like waiting on the turtle, that all the fast hares having run back to, now impatiently gander at the slowness of pace.

Native American oral tradition says that Mother Earth rests upon a Turtles back. interesting stuff, that.

kinda unintelligent to be impatient with very Earth, i feel.

Honor thy Mother, It's enough that She bore You.

to all per-hap's applicable un-crowing roosters.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTF9yTmTIzs

Rythym and Blues ~ and Unpopular Mechanics

Laying down some word...

NUN: nun (n.) Old English nunne "nun, vestal, pagan priestess, woman devoted to religious life under vows," from Late Latin nonna "nun, tutor," originally (along with masc. nonnus) a term of address to elderly persons, perhaps from children's speech, reminiscent of nana (cf. Sanskrit nona, Persian nana "mother," Greek nanna "aunt," Serbo-Croatian nena "mother," Italian nonna, Welsh nain "grandmother;" see nanny).

nuncheon (n.) mid-14c., "slight refreshment," originally taken in the afternoon, from none "noon" (see noon) + shench "draught, cup," from Old English scenc, related to scencan "to pour out, to give to drink," cognate with Old Frisian skenka "to give to drink, German, Dutch schenken "to give." Cf. luncheon.

nuncio (n.) papal envoy, 1520s, from older Italian nuncio (now nunzio), from Latin nuntius "messenger," from PIE root *neu- "to shout" (cf. Greek neuo "to nod, beckon," Old Irish noid "make known").

nunnery (n.) late 13c., "nunhood," from nun + -ery. Meaning "convent of nuns" is from c.1300. Meaning "house of ill fame" is attested by 1590s.

annunciate (v.) 1530s, from past participle adjective annunciate (late 14c.) or directly from Latin annunciatus, misspelling of annuntiatus, past participle of annuntiare (see announce). In some cases perhaps a back-formation from annunciation. Related: Annunciated; annunciating.annunciation (n.) early 14c., "Lady Day," from Anglo-French anunciacioun, Old French anonciacion, from Latin annuntiationem (nominative annuntiatio), noun of action from past participle stem of annuntiare (see announce). The Church festival (March 25) commemorating the visit of the angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary, foretelling the incarnation. General sense of "an announcing" is from 1560s. Old English for "Annunciation Day" was bodungdæg.

conundrum (n.) 1590s, Oxford University slang for "pedant," also "whim," etc., later (1790) "riddle, puzzle." Also spelled quonundrum. The sort of ponderous pseudo-Latin word that was once the height of humor in learned circles.

denunciate (v.) 1590s, from Latin denunciatus, past participle of denuntiare (see denounce). The same word as denounce, but directly from Latin. Not widely used except in its noun form, denunciation.denunciation (n.) early 15c., "act of declaring or stating something," from Latin denuntiationem (nominative denuntiatio), noun of action from past participle stem of denuntiare (see denounce). Meaning "a charge" is mid-15c.enunciate (v.) 1620s, "declare, express," from Latin enuntiatus, past participle of

enuntiare "speak out, say, express, assert; divulge, disclose, reveal, betray," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + nuntiare "to announce" (see nuncio). Or perhaps a back formation from enunciation. Meaning "to articulate, pronounce" is from 1759. Related: Enunciated; enunciating.enunciation (n.) 1550s, "declaration," from Latin enuntiationem (nominative enuntiatio) "enunciation, declaration," noun of action from past participle stem of enuntiare (see enunciate). Meaning "articulation of words" is from 1750.enunciative (adj.) 1530s, from Latin enuntiativus, from enuntiare (see enunciate).

hic et nunc Latin, literally "here and now."inundate (v.) 1620s, back-formation from inundation, or else from Latin inundatus, past participle of inundare "to overflow, run over" (see inundation). Related: Inundated; inundating. inundation (n.) early 15c., from Latin inundationem (nominative inundatio) "an overflowing," noun of action from past participle stem of inundare "to overflow," from in- "onto" (see in- (2)) + undare "to flow," from unda "wave" (see water).mispronunciation (n.) 1520s; see mis- (1) + pronunciation.

pronunciation (n.) early 15c., "mode in which a word is pronounced," from Middle French prononciation and directly from Latin pronuntiationem (nominative pronuntiatio) "act of speaking, utterance, delivery," also "proclamation, public declaration," noun of action from past participle stem of pronuntiare "announce" (see pronounce).

quidnunc (n.) "gossip-monger," 1709, formed from Latin quid "what" and nunc "now," to describe someone forever asking "What's the news?"

renunciation (n.) late 14c., from Latin renuntiationem (nominative renuntiatio), noun of action from past participle stem of renuntiare "renounce" (see renounce).

VESTAL: vestal (adj.) "chaste, pure, virgin," 1590s, originally (early 15c.) "belonging to or dedicated to Vesta," Roman goddess of hearth and home. The noun is recorded from 1570s, short for Vestal virgin, one of four (later six) priestesses (Latin virgines Vestales) in charge of the sacred fire in the temple of Vesta in Rome. The goddess name, attested in English from late 14c., corresponds to, and may be cognate with, Greek Hestia, from hestia "hearth," from PIE root *wes- "to dwell, stay" (cf. Sanskrit vasati "stays, dwells," Gothic wisan, Old English, Old High German wesan "to be").

Tarpeian rock rock face on the Capitoline Hill in Rome, from which persons convicted of treason were thrown headlong, from Latin (mons) Tarpeius "(rock) of Tarpeia," said to have been a Vestal virgin who betrayed the capitol to the Sabines and was buried at the foot of the rock. Her name probably is of Etruscan-Tyrrhenian origin.

Hestia goddess of the hearth, from Greek hestia "hearth, house, home, family" (see vestal).

nun (n.) Old English nunne "nun, vestal, pagan priestess, woman devoted to religious life under vows," from Late Latin nonna "nun, tutor," originally (along with masc. nonnus) a term of address to elderly persons, perhaps from children's speech, reminiscent of nana (cf. Sanskrit nona, Persian nana "mother," Greek nanna "aunt," Serbo-Croatian nena "mother," Italian nonna, Welsh nain "grandmother;" see nanny).

was (v.) Old English wesan, wæs, wæron 1st and 3rd person singular of wesan "to remain," from Proto-Germanic *wesanan (cf. Old Saxon wesan, Old Norse vesa, Old Frisian wesa, Middle Dutch wesen, Dutch wezen, Old High German wesen "being, existence," Gothic wisan "to be"), from PIE root *wes- "remain, abide, dwell" (cf. Sanskrit vasati "he dwells, stays;" cf. vestal).

Wesan was a distinct verb in Old English, but it came to supply the past tense of am. This began to develop in Proto-Germanic, because it is also the case in Gothic and Old Norse. See be.

TUTOR: tutor (n.) late 14c., "guardian, custodian," from Old French tutour "guardian, private teacher," from Latin tutorem (nominative tutor) "guardian, watcher," from tutus, variant past participle of tueri "watch over," of unknown origin. Specific sense of "senior boy appointed to help a junior in his studies" is recorded from 1680s.tutor (v.) 1590s, from tutor (n.). Related: Tutored; tutoring.

~

PROCTOR: proctor (v.) 1670s, from proctor (n.). Related: Proctored; proctoring.proctor (n.) late 14c., contraction of procurator (c.1300) "steward or manager of a household;" also "a provider" (see procurator). From late 14c. as "one who acts or speaks for another; spokesman, advocate;" early 15c. as "business manager or financial administrator of a church, college, holy order, etc."

prog 1958, colloquial shortening of progressive (q.v.). Earlier it was British student slang for proctor (1890) and earlier still a cant word for "food, provisions" (1650s), perhaps from verb prog "to poke about" (1610s), of unknown origin, perhaps related to prod (v.). Related: Progged; progging.

proxy (n.) early 15c., proccy, prokecye, "agency of one who acts instead of another; letter of power of attorney," contraction of Anglo-French procuracie (c.1300), from Medieval Latin procuratia "administration," from Latin procuratio "a caring for, management," from procurare "manage" (see procure). Also cf. proctor (n.). Meaning "person who acts in place of another" is from 1610s.

~

Rythym...

Get Lucky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7sSWsOjNlk

and Blues...

Clarity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxo9mrWgR8

~

and Unpopular Mechanics...

Sad Soul...for you!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70n3MNsUcs
    Last edited by Tutor; 7th May 2013 at 03:51 AM.

Sioux: Mahpia Ithica (Touch the Clouds)

Mahpia, Cloud/s; much like ourselves as any gatherance, speaks that against the will is the material nature subdued in the utility of masked presence. Mahpia, quite empathetic with us, would of our mutual understanding, also seek forgiveness and that release therefrom.

what is bound on earth is bound in heaven. what is loosed on earth is loosed in heaven.

both warning and promise

to turn a word, is like flipping a coin over . 'Vo'

Rabbi Mattithyah ben Heresh said: "Be the first to extend greetings to every man; and choose to be a tail to lions rather than a head to foxes." Perki Avot 4:20

~

Forthcomingness is lost upon our "modernity", of this i do grieve. Part of this is my reluctance to let go of everything needing to be said in an exchange. Yet, I hear and i hear, and what I hear strikes me not, but what i hear strikes me as stunted.

A brother having an orchard mentioned its need for pruning, of which I did hear and i did hear. So, I says, I can prune your orchard.

The time came to prune the orchard, of i came with my tools to just that. Meeting my brother whose orchard is and another brother. They had gone and bought themselves brand spankin new tool, of which I was shown. cool

So, we walk to the orchard and on in, to get down to bizness. I gander at the fruit trees, picking the worst one first. As i begun, an onslaught of how to's and why come's assailed my ears, and a giddyness to themselves begin pruning assailed my eyes.

So, i prunes, and finally with much impatience i am querried too far. I says, see all these trees, they are the same in that they are fruit trees, yet they are uniquely burdened. Each of them reveals differently as to their particular needs. So i work it by listening with my eyes and feel. there is no schematic or manual with which to follow guided lines and numbered order.

Well, that answer was not good enough, and impatience not to get the pruning done, but rather to prune with their new tools, was still present.

So, angered, I spoke, Listen to me, it is as if each of these is a unique lover, and i listen to each uniquely as she lets me know what are her requirements for satisfaction. then, i shout, watch and learn, quietly.

So, they quieted, and watched; and before ya knew it the brother whose is the orchard began to catch on, checking with me on his feeling to prune just so. For a time i would say yes or no, but in that this were his orchard, i later says to him, brother this is your orchard, do as you see fit to do, but observe it passing by, and daily do what each tree would have you witness to.

the other brother couln't seem to hear or see, so he ended up with a weed eater cleaning up the much overgrown orchard grounds.

is this boasting? no

why? because from the orchard brother i learn of the horse, of which he can be mighty rough with my excited impatience.

point being, each has gifts, and pertaining to said gifts need be duly respected, as such gifts come hard won.

it is normal to be giddy, it is abnormal to be disrespectful. of these we undeniably have both to offer.

when this happens, it is because in one's gift that they practice they have come to expect a certain notoriety; then when this turns, finding themselves the other end, they do not readily recognize to give of that which has been easily received.

cool thing is, brothers become the tighter from it (as we have), as it brings equilibrium to otherwise disjointed membering.

Spirit works the same with every living thing/creature. It listens to see, and sees to listen. be it tree or be it horse, makes no never mind, even being with brothers of the wind.

to say brothers is not to exclude sisters, as it is, to say sisters is not to exclude brothers.

quite frankly, the wind don't care, for it listens to see and sees to listen; ya see?

thereof is the winds care...pretty much down to bizness.

but, loop this back to Mahpia, and realize how hard it is to be a brother period, and then to be of brothers kept. God is good in bringing such together, bringing to it the equilibrium that each one is blind to, yet all together, is sight of in the mutual listening.

one stick is easily broken, many together are hardly broken. conundrum

like a nursery ryhme: 1 2 buckle my shoe, 3 4 out the door, 5 6 pick up sticks, 7 8 don't be late....

what ain't got two feet. "a shoeless man cannot give away shoes" Greek Wisdom saying

never judge another unless you've walked in their shoes.

i bought me a pair of riding boots because of my brothers gift to me; and he bought himself some pruning tools because of my gift to him. this not through judging oneanother, but through our mutual discernment of thise gifts Spirit given.

what is Spirit given is of the uttermost respect for life and the living. it is at once gentle and compassionate, yet harsh and dispassionate. in that is equilibrium's way.

them thar orchard trees were overflowing with springing blooms toward a fruited harvest in deeds. them thar horses overflow with blossoming potential toward good benefits in future understanding.

my brother said to me when his orchard was heavy with blooms, he says, Tim...now we have two connections to oneanother, mine to you and yours to me.

certainly this is what honor is...all the way a round and all within the rounded.

i am slow on the uptake, but fast in the download

seems right to me...

Take a Load off Annie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GiKAa7tbiY

as synchronicity(sp?) always has it, this song was right on time when it hit the air waves.

I'm Wide Awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlYVTFAKcc

we all...are in this together.
    Last edited by CFTraveler; 5th August 2013 at 12:30 AM.

mysticism - meaning: merely one upunder the state of confusion deliberately set overhead of such a one, simply because they've arrived beyond the norm of human querious nature. is this "curiosity"? NO!...it is one having said NO! to that which behind them is not their's any longer. yet, what is their's, lies beyond the state of confusion deliberately set overhead. Thus, a one is saying YES! to that Truth beyond that which confusingly Lies...over their head.

analogy: Like all Lies, they lure one in. into a game of he said...she said. in a just court, the judge throws it all out, judges equitably, equally dividing the spoils all after the point of marriage up to the point of divorce. child custody is to the ONE whom has said YES! to Truth.

in that analogy may be seen the end of duality's to and from, and the beginning of One.

for it is not about marriage at the juxtapositional juncture of YES!. it is about YOU, whom said YES!.

thus, a new Spirit is given to the faithful, even as they've looked back on what was no longer their's, because everbit of it in the marriage (invested) did without a doubt confusingly betray their vested interests beyond the norm of human query.

the juxtaposition dissolved, the juncture resolved - clarity of resolution.

Clarity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxo9mrWgR8

~

this is like a little girl i know, she is 17 and is spending her life in rehab till she turns 18 and will be released to a halfway house. her mom remarried, and her father is from the first marriage. her mom constantly blames the girl for every little problem, unwilling to admit that the second husband has eyes on her daughter having for the past few years become the shape of a young woman. so the mom constantly bickers at the girl saying, "you're just like your father and you ruin everything in my life!"

so i says to the girl, well...the first part is true, the second part is a lie. she didnt like that the first part is true. i said, for that matter, you are just like your mom too. she really didnt like that comment. but then i said, the truth of it is child, is that within You, is the best of both of your parents, that best lying unseen, except for the fact that you are, even if this truth seems like a hell of a thing to have to unjustly endure that which is really the best about You.

so, this little girl is a mystic, though she doesnt realize it so to be.

~

child custody is to the ONE whom has said YES! to Truth.

mysticism in a seedy nut shell...
    Last edited by Tutor; 17th July 2013 at 04:11 PM.

My Darling

Never would I deny you
    The true desires of your
    Sweet and tender Heart.
    Our Lord would have us both
    Living in an exceeding abundance.
    So much abundance that others
    Beyond us two as one
    Would abundantly share.
    This not because I myself
    Would from myself
    Give.

But rather, because of You,
    My Bride
    Having within yourself
    Heartfelt desires
    Which in their heartfelt being
    Shall also be sweetly and tenderly
    Met.

Patience is the key of
    Understanding,
    That the world outlying
    Wherefrom desires would
    Present themselves to you,
    are not of your true
    Heart.

This, I do understand
    And when I recognize
    Your thoughtful want giving way
    To the world to meet you
    Then I must protest.
    For it is true, this heart of
    Yours.

And I would not see it
    Shortsighted with
    Impatience and lack luster
    That could not satiate
    What in truth your
    Heart would have for
    You.

So I rest in your
    Sweet and tender Heart,
    Listening to your hearted
    Proposals of pure desire
    Felt.

And I too, often feel arrested
    In your seeming inability
    To practice that patience
    Which in time
    Will deliver your every Heart's
    Desire.

For you see, even as I will give to you
    What is yours alone, Myself;
    It is only because I in
    Reflection of You,
    Would as the Lord would,
    Give to us our very
    Us.

That through us
    All within us finds
    Its abundant
    Finish.

Your Darling

Tim

~

to those beloved's upunder,

The Ceiling Can't Hold US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_nzx6tSfq0