Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: proposed solution to grandfather paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpyn
    Quote Originally Posted by wstein
    any one else doing this or any time based magic at the same time do not get 'updated'. The change still occurs but they continue to remember the 'old' universe. Note that the changer always remembers the old universe.
    So, in my case, someone might have switched the definition of soft/hard vowels in order to get better scores on a test or something?
    Not that easy to say why they changed it.
    Is it enough to have the ability to change things to notice when things are changed by someone else, or do you have to actively change something at the same time?
    Best I can tell, you have to be changing something at the same time. Its hard to be certain how many events you are not aware of.
    I don't understand the "don't affect a thing or anyone" part of what you wrote. Do you mean that it's possible to make changes, but not really major ones? Or the possibility of making changes, but none that change the history?
    In short, you can have things be different as long as there aren't any inconsistent changes.

Let me explain it another way. The universe has a fair amount of permanence and persistence because many are actively and passively maintaining it that way. There are 'rules' that dictate how changes are permitted (i.e. the laws of nature). In this manner the universe behaves in a (mostly) consistent and predictable way. Really we are all powerful creative beings that are capable of making major changes to the universe. So in order to have a place with some reasonable continuity, we all follow a self imposed mutually enforced agreement to make it that way. If you want to change things, you are supposed to do it via the rules. If you try to change something in another way, there is resistance by others (equally powerful as you). Since its many against one, you are basically out voted.

The system is not totally foolproof. As those who practice magic know, it is possible to get away with minor changes on occasions. Bigger changes are normally noticed and blocked by the collective. Notice that the goal is a certain stability and predictability. There is no prohibition against things being different, only that things don't arbitrarily change (in the middle). So if you can figure out how to make things different without any violations of the laws of nature along the way, you probably can have the universe as you want it.

Note that making things different in a way that someone else does not like is also likely to meet resistance. There is no rule about how much you make different per se. Its more difficult to fit in a major rework as there is more potential to affect someone who does not approve of what you want. So with so much history and so many players its really hard to meet all the constraints.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

Scorpyn Guest
    wstein : Good explanation, I think I understood it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Freawaru
    http://members.shaw.ca/mike.anderton/WarpDrive.pdf
    I haven't read the other stuff yet, but I skimmed that one through and it seems like it's the same idea that I had, which is basically using the idea of near light speeds but sort of in reverse.

It's not time travel really, but merely freezing time around yourself. Quite interesting really, if you combine it with chryosleep or something similar it could be used for example if you need to keep a long distance supply route going (or you could send robots instead of using chryosleep). It would also be a rather interesting way of doing intergalactic trade routes, and it could probably be used to do a bunch of research in order to for example stop a disease almost instantly.

However, I'm not really sure that it's physically possible - I'm not sure what you'd find if you actually succeeded, but I believe that you would approach temperatures rather close to 0 Kelvin (at least to the outside observer).

I'll try to post my theory about time tomorrow. Just don't expect it to be correct

Freawaru Guest
    Oh, I think it is time travel all right. To go forward in time is actually possible without any fuss, just use a near-light ship. The trick is to go backwards - from the point of an outside observer.

I thought it really fascinating that General Relativity Theory does permit these things.

Did you know, particles do move backwards in time all the, erm, time. The Feynman diagrams used to calculate the probability that a particle ends up somewhere have to include possibilities where particles go back in time. Otherwise you get a lot of nonsense.

There was actually this speculation that there is really just *one* electron, but cause it moves back and forward in time it appears that there are be plenty of them - all intercating with each other (or with itself, depending on the perspecive)

Physics is a lot of fun

Scorpyn Guest
    I believe that there are 1 or 2 ways of going back in time : Either going faster than lightspeed or lowering the speed of your particles to below 0 Kelvin. Both ways might work.

You will probably not make it out on the other side as a regular physical being.

Dais Guest
    I wanted to step in and say something about pardox and time shifts frist off no one can and never will be able to change time. Maybe we can go to the future but not the past. that and paradox is a all powerful force of reality. Like in the book time machine pardox would not allow him to go back and change anything no matter how many ways he tired to save his girl she would just die another way.
    As far as going back changing something and the past just not chacthing up that sounds like some dragon ball crap Like when trunks went back to the past and killed the androids before they destroyed the wourld, when he went back to the future nothing had changed in his future but when he went back to the past a seconed time everything was good in the way he had changed it to be but his future never changed even though he changed it for others in the past.
    Time travel as a hole is a crock of sh.. just accept the wourld we cant change the past we can influence the future but not the past.

PS I have never read seen or studied anything in time travel that didnt end in a loop or broken paradox scientific or other wise.

rb_bni_22 Guest
    Hey,i have a theory too(involving parallel universes) that solves the grand-father paradox......i'm also working on a theory that includes the planes of existence,parallel universes,the holographic universe and consciousness....take a look at this in my 360 blog.....uhh i don't know what the link is though,cuz it doesn't give me any URL that is specific to my page.....just look for jason's insane world.

rb_bni_22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_bni_22
    Hey,i have a theory too(involving parallel universes) that solves the grand-father paradox......i'm also working on a theory that includes the planes of existence,parallel universes,the holographic universe and consciousness....take a look at this in my 360 blog.....uhh i don't know what the link is though,cuz it doesn't give me any URL that is specific to my page.....just look for jason's insane world.

I don't know at what standard you guys are but my theories may be a little "simple".......

rb_bni_22 Guest
    Got it........here's the link to my blog........http://360.yahoo.com/jason.x_2004

There would seem to be several ways to combine these theory. The problem is that it is not easy to sort out the 'best one'.

Firstly, Astral travel could be travel to a different part of this 'universe', a parallel universe that diverged from ours a long time ago, another pane/dimension, or be could be a shift in consciousness/awareness (but not leaving this universe at all).

Neither the multiverse theory or holographic theories deal with nor preclude travel to what appears to be the 'past'. Whether we travel to our same past, or a parallel past, the experience is the same.

The holographic theory does not imply DESTINY. Even if the past and future 'are' it does not indicate how they came to be that way. It is unclear if the totality unfolded like clockwork or by a series of free choices. Its even possible that it all exists at the same time and yet still changes.

I admire your attempt to combine these theories. I hope some of the posts in this forum help you sort it out.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

rb_bni_22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wstein
    There would seem to be several ways to combine these theory. The problem is that it is not easy to sort out the 'best one'.

Firstly, Astral travel could be travel to a different part of this 'universe', a parallel universe that diverged from ours a long time ago, another pane/dimension, or be could be a shift in consciousness/awareness (but not leaving this universe at all).

Neither the multiverse theory or holographic theories deal with nor preclude travel to what appears to be the 'past'. Whether we travel to our same past, or a parallel past, the experience is the same.

The holographic theory does not imply DESTINY. Even if the past and future 'are' it does not indicate how they came to be that way. It is unclear if the totality unfolded like clockwork or by a series of free choices. Its even possible that it all exists at the same time and yet still changes.

I admire your attempt to combine these theories. I hope some of the posts in this forum help you sort it out.

1)Astral could be as you say travel to a different dimension/universe........but according to the parallel universes theory all the universes have to be vibrating at the same frequency(same energy level)..so i doubt that.I think it is a sift in consciousness/awareness.

2)Not neccessarily....as parallel universes are basically probable universes that arise due to conscious action each one would be different in a very
    small way(if all of them were the same they would simply merge together)
    So travel to the past or future will in 99.99999% of cases will lead to travel to different parallel universes(mathematical probability....actually there are a lot more nines).However i agree that the holographic theory in no way deals with time travel in any way......

3)When i say DESTINY i mean a certain order or a set way in which things/events will go.I don't mean destiny in the sense that...this is what i'm here to do or this is my destiny....i mean destiny on a much broader scale - because in the holographic theory all instants in time exist simultaneously and hence the past future and present are already known(otherwise the instants would not exist).........

Take a look at my 360 blog,please......i put some work into it......http://360.yahoo.com/jason.x_2004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast