Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Meditating to TOOL.

Blog Entries

Re: Meditating to TOOL.

I have mused about Tool's music and wanted to share some observations, for whatever they are worth:

I have identified three elements that seem very much to define the band beyond the usual - rhythmic variation, extending the definition of sound as music, and the energetic quality of the music. This is mostly pertaining to the music itself, even though it is not fully separate from the lyrics or choice of topic.

Tool introduces many interesting and intricate variations on rhythm patterns, but there are times when these rhythmic patterns actually become so dominant in a song that they lessen it, not enhance it. Example I am thinking of here are "Jambi" and "Lateralus". Their titles already seem to mark them as "brainbirths", as they both derive from rhythmic and mathematical patterns to a certain degree. This is mental body territory, as the mental body contains a tendency to apply an idea over and over again and take it to extremes.

"Lateralus" seems stuck together for that reason that it is dominated by an idea. This is not meant to dispute the quality of the composition, but the song itself does for me not measure up to others from the same albums. It is an interesting intellectual exercise, and in Kurt's terms would exemplify the "Thinking Mind composer", deriving from the sixth chakra or the mental body. The exact classification would be "Middle 6 Formalist", as the intellectual form of the song is dominant.

Oppose this with "Third Eye", which is essentially an "Upper 6 Visionary" piece, not only by name but also by energetic and musical feel. All the musical elements of Tool's style are strongly present within the song without anyone dominating so much to disrupt the flow of the song itself. It employs innovative use of sound and rhythm, but the quality is different, at times raw, but breathing and very alive.

Both songs can be fun but are not of the same quality.

"Jambi" actually starts with an effective demonstration of two different styles of composition opposed to each other. The initial intricate rhythmic variation might garner some interest, but it is basically relegated to the background the very minute the bass player introduces a melodic element. The rhythmic element moves to the background and is rendered irrelevant in comparison. You could take it away and in my opinion not lose much at this point, it remains disconnected.

Notice, how every time the bass player can chose to add and enhance in Jambi to the places where he is (mostly?) absent. This also shows a musical and compositional talent beyond the actual skill in playing the instrument. Even though the rhythm section present with guitar and drums is strongly present, the bass sets all the accents that make the piece, essentially saving it from being overtaken too much by the rhythm. The piece shines every time whenever it is taken away from the original rhythmic idea, too.

The quality of unclean and unusual sounds as part of the musical experiences can be seen for example in "Third Eye" (extensive use of distortion and feedback), "Parabol" (reverberation and a chanting-like effect), "Lost Keys" (bell-like clean feedback), "Rosetta Stoned" (dirty feedback) or for example "Viginti Tres" (studio effect variations). Here the quality of the sound itself adds an enchanting or enticing element. It is not just a gimmick (think: Rage Against the Machine solos, and hey, I like them), but a means to a specific end that is part of the whole experience.

I have to admit that the sound variations in some pieces for me form a huge attraction to Tool and also an element that makes them largely unique. We've come a long way since Jimi Hendrix' "Third Stone from the Sun", and experiment is not only an art unto itself, but becomes part of the composition (which is much harder to do than just fooling around with sound).

The final quality I want to discuss is the ebb and flow present in Tool's songs. It is a quality that makes music "breathe in and out", moving along a natural pattern of variation of intensity. Kurt's classification of this associates it with the seventh chakra, and this would make it possibly also the domain of the causal body or soul. This is not present in all Tool music, but it shades in and out and makes their best pieces.

It also gives the music its energetic impact. This makes "Reflection", "Triad", "Third Eye" or "10,000 Days (Wings for Marie Pt. 2)" so powerful. They accumulate and disperse energetic intensity in ways that seem just right in themselves. It isn't hard to tell these are my favorites as they stand out so much even among the opus of this band. They're also truly together as a unit on these, everybody adds to the whole.

ahhh, a very deep analysis. I like it, thank you for this, but who is kurt.

Blog Entries

Kurt Leland. He wrote a book about music and its spiritual relevance called "Music and the Soul".

Thank you, I'm gona check that out.

also check out his latest on Astral Projection and spirutal development ("The Multidimensional Human") which isn't bad at all
    This collector of useless clutter.

I will.

Hey Korpo, been analyzing what u said, I find that the vocal/drum only parts of lateralus invoke a deep tribal feel, almost a deep earth chakra, I find third eye, triad and the like to be if a vision was put into sound, or maybe the sound is a "vision" itself.

Blog Entries

Hey, darron.

"Triad" is especially interesting as it seems energetically to come from a similar pattern like the Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Dawn" - it's built on a repeating pattern, but every cycle through the pattern it seems to collect more energy until it "breaks loose" and flows. (Though "Triad" has a "dip" in it.) "Triad" has a very driven kind of feel, it has the stomping quality of tribal drumming maybe but mixed with the driven quality of industrial/electronic music, harder than the former but not as machine-like as the later.

"Third Eye" then instead works more like building and dissipating energy/noise, only to recede back into another pattern or quiet part. I heard this song live, and it gives you the impression of "one more" - it comes to rest and then picks you up again and leads to another sensation.

Tool in my opinion interacts with a rather broad range of chakras in its musical content. Rhythmic variation is richly used (1st chakra), Tension and release and harmony are also masterly used (2nd chakra). Unsurprising for a band also exploring noise, distortion, screaming and other musical tools, the third chakra is present in the elements of dissonance and volume.

The fourth chakra's musical element is melody, but while Tool is melodic, some pieces rather indulge in rhythms or leave most melodic elements either to the singer or to the bass line, like "Jambi". In a way that is hard to explain it also does not comprise the full 4th chakra as Tool does not explore the full potential for human feeling. The higher aspects of the 4th chakra and most of the 5th chakra are absent - there's no real uptempo, joyous, simply for fun parts. The elements Kurt has termed "Elation", "Contentment", "Joy" or "Exuberance" seem to be most notably absent from their music.

The sixth chakra is strongly present - mostly in its formal or visionary aspects. This is where most Tool songs are rooted, and this is also strongly related to the mental body. This ranges from "too much of a thought experiment" qualities to what you have described as "sound as vision". Some of their best pieces then finally take on some qualities of the 7th center.

Oliver

I agree.
    You should listen to the humbling river by puscifer .

10. Re: Meditating to TOOL.

Tools is pretty intense attention-grabbing music - + Reply to ThreadI probably wouldn't be able to meditate to it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5