Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interesting post in the ITLAD forum

Re: Interesting post in the ITLAD forum

Quote Originally Posted by blis View Post
    Thanks. I'll see if I can find it at the library.
    Copy available here. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ar...ulimasters.pdf
    Mick

Blog Entries

I don't know CF, I like that site (even signed up sometime ago) but this business of a photon NOT being reflected but instead being regenerated by a mirror is doubtful to me.

I think if we asked a particle physicist about the qualities of a say, a silver atom, he probably would not say that it is reflective whereas other elements aren't. That is, there is nothing unique about a silver atom at the micro level that says mirrors should be made of it. The argument that the photon excites an electron which then releases another photon applies to all elements, I suppose.

It is only on the macro level, billions of atoms taken together, that the reflective quality manifests. This makes it a Classical or Newtonian problem which describes light being REFLECTED accurately.

Besides, there are a number of experiments done by particle physicists that rely on mirrors to reflect or change the course of a single photon. I can cite some of these if you're interested.

Richard
    Last edited by eyeoneblack; 28th August 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typos
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

On further thought (and this is a puzzle) I think, considering light and mirrors, it's probably a case of light as a waveform rather than a particle. Light might not take on the properties of particles until it is measured, which would occur when the waveform encountered the retina.

I've never read anything specifically about this little problem.
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard