Quote Originally Posted by ProbableReality View Post
I must admit that I find it hard to see the point in this. I'm not against it, I just feel a bit silly when I'm lying there talking to myself over and over again. There is always some voice in the back of my head saying "This is pointless." "You know this is the definition of insanity don't you. Saying the same thing over and over again expecting it to become true." I'm not trying to put down any methods out there. If it works for you, I envy you so much. This is just my brain being stubborn.
If i could chime in a little here i would say that you are right in that the brain is stubborn, it's not just you. The brain like things that make sense to it and are easy to digest. In some respect this makes me think that your self talk needs to come to you almost naturally, kind of like how you see athletes do when they are talking themselves into the zone. It may feel a little weird but a lot of people do this sort of thing just under different context than obe.

The affirmations/self talk is mental motivation. There is something about saying things out loud that kind of seals the deal but i don't think it is necessary, you can still motivate yourself fine without talking to yourself out loud.