Thread: Music with a spiritual touch

Blog Entries

Music with a spiritual touch

I often wanted to share a song or two but didn’t in the end, since I didn’t want to start a new thread just for one or two songs, so I thought of starting this new thread in which, from time to time, I will post a song or two (or three… ) Everyone is wecome to post as well. If a song makes you think of another one or of an anecdote, then feel free to share!

Jorane
    I actually wanted to share about this artist for a little while but never did until now. She is a very unique, creative and soulfull cellist and singer. She sings sometimes in French, sometimes in English and sometimes in a language of her own creation, like in the first two songs.

Jorane - Film 3
    Meditating on this one makes me feel very joyful and hopeful. I find the video very interesting also. It is simple yet I see it full of spiritual symbolism… And somehow, the man makes me think of a guide… How he’s there to show her what she can aim for, and how he is letting her space to be and to live her quest… Yet when she falls, he’s there also, healing her so that she can go on…

Jorane - Work #3
    This song and the previous one are like night and day to me, yet both songs come from the same album. This one has a very mysterious and forceful feel, darker perhaps, more `mature`. I love meditating on it whenever I feel bound, tied by something, and feel it highly liberating when her voice raises forcefully, as a light shining true, raising above the dark. Then at the end, I feel it very calming, soothing, when her voice calms down, at peace.

Jorane - Am I the Sky
    I very rarelly meditate on a song with lyrics but this one is an exception… To me, the words are about oneness and how it feels to be truly centered and at peace, and I like to meditate on this while listening to this song. Also, the music is very calming and peaceful.

Am I the sea?
    Am I the boat?
    I feel the waves
    It seems like home

Am I the sky?
    Am I the bird?
    I hear the wind
    I know it's song
    I feel…
    Like I'm the trees and the wind…
    Holding them

I am…
    Further from pain
    I'm opening
    And you will stay there
    Like water is rain
    Whispering
    I feel…
    Like I'm the trees and the wind…
    Holding them

But now I am the eye
    And you're the storm
    It's coming
    I'm happy
    But I still wonder
    Am I the boat or the sea?
    Maybe both
    Maybe both

None of them
    Away
    Maybe both

In a dream, somewhere finding my way home

Re: Music with a spiritual touch

Ah, lovely Jorane. Work #3 is fantastic, as are all the others, but I resonate with 3 most. Thanks for posting a bit of your world.
    Know Thyself

Nice! I think I like Work #3 the best too. I'll have to look into her work more and listen to it on a better system than I have here at work.

Here's one you may like. It breaks my heart and puts it back together in a better way every time I watch the video.

yeah, I love much of what Sigur Ros do, too, especially this one:

http://vimeo.com/3986821
    This collector of useless clutter.

As this is your, poeme's, thread, I was now looking for something for you in French language, but I admit I do not know too many songs I listen to that are sung in French (and are with spiritual touch).
    However, there is this one song by a medieval/pagan folk band (my country is full of these bands, there is an entire scene there, that also exports to other countries on medieval and gothic festivals a lot) by the name of Corvus Corax.

Well, I really really love this song, maybe it will resonate with you, too (not just because it's in French), although I do not know about the lyrics, it has definitely a spiritual touch for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtC7LBWyJ0U

http://www.lyricstime.com/corvus-cor...ne-lyrics.html

(btw, what does 'qui nous demaine' mean, I cannot really translate it "who ... us ... domain, demand ... or tomorrow?...)

Blog Entries

SoulSail, thanks for letting me know… Work #3 is a long time favorite of mine. I never grow tired of it!

Kali’s Child and Volgerle, you saw right through me for I really love these songs you posted. Sigur Ros is one of the bands I am most fond of. Their songs have a wonderfully rich texture and depht…

Would you happen to know these two songs by any chance? They seem more difficult to find and not very well known, as they are more of the experimental-instrumental type, but they are really great to meditate on (on repeat) :
    Sigur Ros - "SÃ♥ðasta ferð" [The Last Trip]
    "SÃ♥ðasta ferð" makes me feel like I’m either floating in some `quiet and welcoming void` or quietly and peacefully travelling toward something `unknown` and indescribable, beautiful and warm.
    Sigur Ros - "Ég mun læknast!" [I Will Recover!]
    This one is really good to let go, and relax the mind. It makes me think of calm welcoming waters or slow soothing waves.

Perhaps you know of Parachutes as well? If not, well they are (or rather were, since they disbanded) also an incelandic band, and some of their songs are very similar to Sigur Ros. I found out about them (like many others!) when they toured with Sigur Ros. I’m especially fond of these two songs :
    Parachutes - Paper Birds
    Parchutes - Where were you?
    When they disbanded, they decided to share all their songs for free. The entire collection can be downloaded here :
    Parachutes – Free mp3 albums and EP collection
    Great, isnt'it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Volgerle View Post
    As this is your, poeme's, thread, I was now looking for something for you in French language, but I admit I do not know too many songs I listen to that are sung in French (and are with spiritual touch).
    However, there is this one song by a medieval/pagan folk band (my country is full of these bands, there is an entire scene there, that also exports to other countries on medieval and gothic festivals a lot) by the name of Corvus Corax.
    That was so thoughtful of you...Honestly!
    And I really love that song and that medieval-pagan sound! You say you know of other German bands such as this one? I know of only a very few bands with that medieval sound and I'd love to find out about new ones
    (btw, what does 'qui nous demaine' mean, I cannot really translate it "who ... us ... domain, demand ... or tomorrow?...)
    This reply will sound strange from a francophone, but... I really don't know!
    It is likely a verb, but I am not sure which one... Qui nous emmène...? (that/which brings us...??)
    It seems like it was a popular medieval French song, and medieval French was different enough from modern French to sometimes make it confusing even for a French speaker. I tried to find the original version but since it was part of the oral tradition, there seems to be countless versions of it, and none that may help figuring out what this mysterious word could be...

thanks for the Parachutes songs, very beautiful and yes ... very 'sigur-ros-y' indeed.

yes, i will search a few links of another pagan-medieval band I came to love, and also a few others then, but it might take a while for me to select 2-3 of the best or most suitable links (difficult, as I like so many of their songs and almost all of it is spiritual in some way)

Blog Entries

Lately, I have been listening to this song over and over, and singing it quite heartfully too (and not necessarily well!)… I am glad my landlords downstairs are so tolerant and pretend not to hear anything

More seriously, I find a lot of peace when I listen to it, and so, I thought of sharing it, just in case someone somewhere may enjoy it, and find peace in it, as much as I do :

Stellamara – Immrama

Immrama are ancient Irish tales around the adventures of a hero’s journey on his/her search for the `Otherworld`. This song makes me think of the path we each walk, as a seeker, as the hero of our own adventures, on our search for the Divine…

That said, the person who posted the video also wrote a very beautiful poem to accompany the song

By the way, Volgerle, if you read this, I am still waiting:
    yes, i will search a few links of another pagan-medieval band I came to love, and also a few others then, but it might take a while for me to select 2-3 of the best or most suitable links (difficult, as I like so many of their songs and almost all of it is spiritual in some way)