Quote Originally Posted by SiriusTraveler View Post
I found this post (Link 1) about how to trick your body into sleep paralysis while 'googling' around.
It seems that people are having success with it.
Ooh, where to start.
First of all, did you try it and have success? I did, years ago, when it was posted on Saltcube (it was one of the techs listed) and it didn't work for me. The reason is, that after twenty minutes I didn't get paralysis, and the second reason is that I don't know too many people (except gurus or super-masters) that can just lay there and keep their mind empty, for twenty to forty minutes.

What usually happens to me is that I start thinking of stuff and fall asleep. What I've seen others comment is that they get bored and cranky, and also get muscle cramps from not moving.
But 'just laying there' is the technique for phasing (or just meditation), and if it works for you then kudos.

To me, after reading this, it feels like I'v been thinking and moving to much when trying to enter a trance state.
That is what happens most of the time people just try to 'lie still with no thoughts'. That's why we come up with breathing exercises, relaxing exercises and trance visualizations- to keep your mind awake without going on 'monkey mind' type of chatter.

My main question is if this method works to induce sleep paralysis and to induce trance states and WILD's/OBE's, why bother with the mind taming?
Mind taming is not a projection technique, it's a teaching tool used to get you used to being aware of what you're thinking. It's used in the training steps in MAP (as one of the techs used amongst others) and you leave it when you're done with it, and use it when you deem it necessary. Like I've said in other posts, you don't have to master it, (and it's very hard) just do your time and move on to the next thing.

Why NOT have thoughtwords if this works?
I'm not sure what this means, so I'll interpret- it's perfectly fine to have thoughts while meditating or doing a projection method, but when it comes to the part when you're 'almost ready', if you're on a cool fantasy you may miss the exit cues or change in mindstate that you get when you're ready to project, or the fantasy turns into dreams and you fall asleep.

Another problem with this method is that it puts your mind on your body (Am I paralyzed yet? Am I feeling heavy? Is this paralysis? I think I'm numb) - and even though body awareness is perfectly fine at the beginning of a projection attempt, at some point you have to stop thinking about your body and pay attention to your mind, because that's what you're trying to move, and awareness of your body is a good way to keep you grounded.

All projection techniques-all of them- focus on keeping your mind awake while your body goes to sleep, and those in MAP are no different; however, MAP focuses on training you on how to do this in many possible ways, and a good part of a sequence is designed to keep you aware while your body falls asleep- we call this trance or waking paralysis, because sleep paralysis is another animal altogether.

to exclude the fact that I must have a perfectly silent mind would make things easier.
You don't have to have a 'perfectly silent mind' to project, but you have to have the ability to control it so that it doesn't suck you into dreamland when you're trying to stay aware.

What is your state of mind prior to sleep paralysis?
My state of mind prior to trance paralysis or waking paralysis is 'full awareness' and 'seeing through my eyelids' or 'seeing things' while perfectly lucid and aware.

Sleep paralysis is the state in which you have been sleeping, wake up before your body does, and experience hallucinations that are often terrifying. You are usually not lucid, can't move, and panic trying to break it. This is not an optimal state for projecting, and although it can be done, you usually wake up after the exit.