Thread: OBE during conversation?

OBE during conversation?

i've had a weird experience that is almost an obe, but i'm really not sure what it is. it has only happened while talking to my fiance, it is usually when we are upset with eachother, and as far as i remember while we a laying in be in the dark talking out what ever the problem was....

now that i've explained the situation, what happens is i will feel like i float away and stop some 20 feet away, yet i can still see where i am and hear things perfectly. i'm thinking perhaps this is a defense mechanism, kinda removing my self from the situation while still being present, as this has only happened in this situation, and it has happened many times....has anyone else experienced this, or anything like it? and if so, have any insight to the purpose, cause etc of it?

it doesn't feel like a normal obe, but its a really cool sensation none the less haha
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

Blog Entries

Re: OBE during conversation?

It possibly is a defense mechanism in the form of a mild dissociation. If this is the case but it doesn't cause problems I wouldn't give it too much thought.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/15-...hanisms/all/1/
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

causes no problems...in fact it seems useful.
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by baalixan View Post
    what happens is i will feel like i float away and stop some 20 feet away, yet i can still see where i am and hear things perfectly. i'm thinking perhaps this is a defense mechanism, kinda removing my self from the situation while still being present, as this has only happened in this situation, and it has happened many times....has anyone else experienced this, or anything like it? and if so, have any insight to the purpose, cause etc of it?
    Yes this sort of spontaneous separation occurs to the natural mystic. As we listen to another describe a place or an event we might separate a mental body and rewind time to see that scene especially if it is important to us. And if we are bored or tired and bored it is easy to allow the magickal imagination to set us up to separate to a realm of a similar description. Many mystics have shared with me that they separated during a boring lesson at school, for example. And even at staff meetings when some one is going yada yada endlessly. You must be sensitive to be aware of this. Congrats!!
    ~*~Love , Light & Laughter ~*~

It seems like mental projection to me. That's Basically what Robert Monroe's phasing is.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Clair View Post
    Yes this sort of spontaneous separation occurs to the natural mystic. As we listen to another describe a place or an event we might separate a mental body and rewind time to see that scene especially if it is important to us. And if we are bored or tired and bored it is easy to allow the magickal imagination to set us up to separate to a realm of a similar description. Many mystics have shared with me that they separated during a boring lesson at school, for example. And even at staff meetings when some one is going yada yada endlessly. You must be sensitive to be aware of this. Congrats!!
    thank you. my sensitivity tends to vary alot, i don't think i have much of a grasp on it...this only started about 4 or 5 years ago, i guess after i got heavily back into my meditation routine...but you mentioned tiredness having an effect on it, when seems to be consistent with this, i'm not sure if i'd call the other feelings that went along with it boredom, perhaps closer to apathy than anything.