Thread: Yoga

Yoga

For a long time, i've been wanting to start doing yoga but i haven't yet. I've decided that since next month the classes will fit easily into my budget that i'm forsure going to start. I know there are multiple forms of it, so my question is, being unfamiliar with doing yoga is there a particular one that would be best to start out with? or does it matter?
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

Blog Entries

Re: Yoga

Beekeeper is a Yoga teacher, so she would be the most qualified to answer this.
    However, I'm overweight and old, and really get something out of Kundalini yoga. Since I already have done other types, I'm not exactly 'new', but I think it's very good for someone new, if you're careful with those five tibetans when they come around.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

i'm fairly experienced in most practices, but i know very littly of yoga....i like the idea of kundalini but it sounds like it could be a little to intense for a beginner at yoga so i was thinking of getting my feet wet with another form and saving kundalini til i had a grasp on the practice as a whole and an idea of what i'm getting into....but maybe not?
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

also, i don't really exercise or do any stretching and a back injury. the only physical workout i get is lifting and carrying things at work lol....but i am only 24, so i think my body still has some learning to do.
    i've heard yoga can help with pain etc from back injuries, and even other joint and muscle issues...so i'm hopeful

Blog Entries

I personally feel that Kundalini Yoga is the way to go. I will start that this year I hope.

Blog Entries

I teach Hatha, which is the classical yoga. I don't know a lot about the other forms. My understanding is Iyenga do fewer asanas and concentrate on correctness. They use a lot of props. Ashtanga, I'm told, appeals more to the western mentality of needing to go hard and get a work out but, from my point of view, flexibility comes from long holding - that's just a principle of muscle science. This would be the criticism of strictly vinyasa style yoga but that's not to say there's no value in incorporating some flowing routines. The only other yoga I've heard of around here is Dru, which is reportedly very gentle. There's also a Japanese yoga teacher in my locality and my students keep trying to get me to take a day off work so I can go to class with them because they say it's lots of fun with lots of partner work.

I'd avoid Bikram, I see no point in heating up the room and I've heard stories of people throwing up and feeling sick.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

i think i might just start with hatha, for a few months atleast. from what i'm reading alot of the differences are to the order of poses, and methodology. i'm sure there are differences in the poses to, but i haven't found a site that has a comprehensive diagram of all of it to compare. i may explore other forms after that, but ultimately i want to do kundalini, but the closest studio is about 15-20 miles from here, where as there is a hatha studio maybe a mile up the road.

Blog Entries

There is a teacher in the net called Gurmukh- I may have messed up the spelling. What she teaches is very similar (almost identical) to the style of K Yoga that I practice. It helped me with my back problems, but it looked scary at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeper
    I'd avoid Bikram, I see no point in heating up the room and I've heard stories of people throwing up and feeling sick.
    Amen to that! I took that for a month and was this close to a heart attack. It should only be taught to experts, IMO.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Actually found a meditation group in my area which combines yoga an meditation. Signing up today and hope for a good time.
    Have anyone got experience from a cource like that?

i've never gone to a meditation group, but that does sound interesting. i've had a joint meditation with people before, but only one on one. it was an interesting experience, but i found it slightly distracting having someone there with me while meditating