Thread: Discussion about consciousness research - read or listen.

Blog Entries

Discussion about consciousness research - read or listen.

Author and scientist sees pattern of decreased brain activity during peak experiences.
    Join Skeptiko host Alex Tsakiris for an interview with Dr. Bernardo Kastrup, author of Meaning in Absurdity. During the interview Kastrup discusses his beliefs about human consciousness:
    Alex Tsakiris: You make some interesting connections between the “fainting game”, erotic asphyxiation and some new research with psychedelic mushrooms. You suggest that when we really look at what’s going on in the brain we actually see a dampening down of brain areas – the opposite of what we would expect. So what are the implications of this in terms of this idea of filtering of consciousness?
    Bernardo Kastrup: The current paradigm says that conscious experience is an epiphenomenon, a by-product, of brain activity. So you should always be able to find a tight correlation between conscious states as reported by the subject and measurable brain states as measured, for instance, with an FMRI scanner. Usually this correlation is there, but there are instances, like this study you mentioned, where this correlation is not there in a very spectacular and repeatable way. What it suggests is that we have to find another model of reality, if you will, to accommodate this. A model that accommodates both the fact that normally, ordinarily, conscious experience is modulated by brain states, but also sometimes there is a lack of correlation in a spectacular way....

http://www.skeptiko.com/bernardo-kas...ness-research/
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Re: Discussion about consciousness research - read or listen.

The current paradigm says that conscious experience is an epiphenomenon, a by-product, of brain activity. So you should always be able to find a tight correlation between conscious states as reported by the subject and measurable brain states as measured, for instance, with an FMRI scanner. Usually this correlation is there, but there are instances, like this study you mentioned, where this correlation is not there in a very spectacular and repeatable way.What it suggests is that we have to find another model of reality, if you will, to accommodate this. A model that accommodates both the fact that normally, ordinarily, conscious experience is modulated by brain states, but also sometimes there is a lack of correlation in a spectacular way....
    that was just too interesting...i had to go read all of it.

Thanks Beeky, i'll listen to that later..
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Blog Entries

Through that post I found this blog: http://www.bernardokastrup.com/

It's fantastic.

I'm trying to get my husband to add the blog to his list of regular reading. I think it's exactly the way he might be able to get where he's been heading. He's pretty "scientific" (which is good; that's his job ), and he doesn't think or experience in mystical or intuitive ways. But I can't see any reason one can't "get there" by way of science. It's just a different approach.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

really really cool finding.

There are some interesting webinars here. One coming up this Saturday. A bit of material surrounding what the members refer to as "the science of the subjective" laid out throughout the site.
    http://icrl.org/index.html
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells there’s 100 trillion atoms that’s more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.

Blog Entries

I listened to it, and enjoyed it very much.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

I just listened to the interview. Excellent!!! Thanks Beeky!
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.