Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Back muscles are stiff and head is bending back meditating

Katusik Guest
    Here we go…

The first occurrences happened during TM type meditation. I was still living in Tallinn, Estonia, my city of birth. While I was still in high school I had a summer job working as one of the English-Russian interpreters for a group of TM masters that were giving lessons. As far as I remember they had several levels of classes and I was interpreting for all of them. I got really interested in meditations and armed with knowledge picked up at those classes I started to meditate regularly myself. I don't remember all the details, but I believe I just was sitting down quietly and repeating mantra given to me personally by one of the TM gurus. (Since I was told to never reveal this personal mantra to anyone I suspect that it was not something unique, but this secrecy was just a marketing trick).

Anyways, I only have a few strong memories of those meditations. One was that just a minute or two into the meditation I would start seeing a shiny white light somewhere in front of me and as I was pulling it towards me, I would get very strong positive energy sensations that would turn into a feeling of total bliss, and memory I have already described - the back bending. These two experiences could happen in parallel. I could feel happy and full of light, but at the same time being worried not to let go control of the neck muscles, so it would not break. To understand the intensity of the pressure on the back of the neck, imagine that you are lying on the floor facing down and another person is standing on the neck pushing it down with a heel.

Another experience that contributed to me stopping meditating was a vision that I had during one of the meditations. I saw myself high up in the clouds, felt very strong, happy and wanted to explore what is above them, then I saw an elderly person that was wearing white robe, he seemed to be busy with something, then he turned to me looking very surprised and asked: “What are YOU doing here?” Next second I was back in my room. I felt like a child caught with my hand in a cookie jar after bringing home excellent marks from school. I knew that I did not have the permission, but at the same time I felt that I totally deserved the treat. “It’s not fare!” I thought. It may sound funny but this feeling lasted for a long time, for some time I was convinced that this old guy will be there every time I would try to go any further in my meditations.

Now I live in Vancouver, Canada. I am not on any special diet, just trying to eat more vegetables and stay away from junk food.

With the renewed meditations I still can’t easily go into deep state. I don’t see the light that I have described previously, but whole bunch of new (or forgotten) symptoms. The strongest one is the third eye chakra. Some days I feel like I have a trunk growing on my forehead. Sometimes it is pulsating, sometimes it is just pressure, but I learned just to acknowledge these sensations and not to concentrate on them during everyday life. I can’t yet see any spirits or hear them, but I definitely see positive changes in my life.

It is worth mentioning that I was started reading "Astral Dynamics" and doing NEW excercises at the time as well. To list just a few little miracles, I quit smoking cold turkey about a month after joining the Development Circle. It was a learning experience by itself. As many smokers I have tried quitting several times and always would slip back. This time as I was walking to the office I was thinking about buying a pack of Nicorette and try quitting again. Suddenly as a thought came to me: “Why would you need Nicorette if I have a Spirit Guide?” That was it. Something clicked in my head and have not had a cigarette since, another nice touch is that my friends that were jokingly offering me to join them for a smoke during my previous tries, behave like I had never smoked and none of them had some much as even looked in my direction when they are going for a smoke break.

Another one worth mentioning is something that before it happened to me I would really be skeptic about. Last Tuesday I was looking at the bills that I had to pay, and it (as it happens often) added up to more that my bank account balance showed. I thought what to do and there was literally no way to pay them. I got upset to the point that I said really clearly in my mind: “I want to have …dollars in my bank account by the weekend”. Then I almost forbid myself to think about it. As they say, believe it or not, but on Friday I got a cheque from my client that paid not only what I expected him to pay, which was about 1/3 of the amount that I needed. He also paid for the work that I considered “pro bono”. Imagine this, I am standing in his office, he looks up at me and asks: “Is … OK?”, and names exactly the amount that I wanted. Of course I agreed. After I got out of his office I could barely walk. I was thinking:” Can this be real?” Even now writing about it I feel spaced out.

I am doing NEW exercises a couple of times a day and they feel very good. I don’t have a set time for them I just do them on the train, or walking, or working on the computer. I can easily move energy around the body; some areas are of course more difficult than others. Moving it up the spine is the one that takes a lot of effort, although I can’t say that I skip any areas. It just takes longer, about 5-7 seconds from the root all the way to the heart chakras.

I became a big fan of Robert’s work. Now I am reading his “Practical Psychic Self-Defense” and can’t wait for “Kundalini Dynamics”, hoping that it will have some reliable guidelines for Kundalini work.

I apologize for such a long post, I just felt an urge to share some of my recent experiences.

Dsmoke Guest
    LOL, you have yourself an anti-smoking campaign right there

I have read about other people experiencing violent facial/head ticks and movements with TM, but I always thought it was after excessive practice.

violetsky Guest
    Dear Katusik,

Thanks for the detailed information. The increase energy flow during meditation is likely affecting the nerves and causing muscle contraction.

I would recommend that you doing energy work around the front of your neck. Robert has a tearing exercise for the chakras. The front of the throat chakra could be a starting point. Perhaps try bouncing an energy ball front and back through throat charka and side to side. You do not need to be in a trance state to do that. Work steadily but gradually and let us know how it goes.

Since you are in good health likely tai chi and ashtanga will help with balancing your energy flows in a physical way. Seeing a good Chinese acupunturist is also a thought.

Very Best Wishes,
    violetsky

Katusik Guest
    Thank you all for your replies; I really appreciate support and understanding this community can offer.

I have been playing with the energy ball bouncing, mostly dragging it through the third eye. Working with it on the rest of major chakras feels very uneasy (like it probably should when they are not fully developed). I will continue to work with the ball.

A note about smoking. Somehow, smoking is just not someting I want to do anymore. I believe that I can find a better use for energy spent recovering from daily nicotine poisoning elsewhere.

Katusik Guest
    What is an "open eyed meditation"? Is it like sitting at a company quarterly meeting?

But, seriously could you please describe the technique?

violetsky Guest
    Big Smile. Exactly. Only you do not have the distracting "Mah mah maw mah," noise in the background.

One word of caution, your background experience with TM masters likely has helped balanced certain emotional aspects within you. This may enable you to do more third eye work than most of us. For most this level of stimulation can cause emotional instability. Conversely, it can cause us to see things before we are emotionally or spiritually ready and would as a result be classified medically as dilerium or hallucination and or develop ego problems. Blush...I totally admit to discouraging a lot of third eye stimulation for most people until years of inner work is completed. Inner work to the point that even if you are thrown in the most stressful situation you do not loose your cool, kindness or compassion. Please understand it is a duty of care for me to state this.

Quote Originally Posted by Katusik
    What is an "open eyed meditation"? Is it like sitting at a company quarterly meeting?

violetsky Guest
    Ooops! Just realized I did not answer your question. Blush. Sorry.

One example of open eyed meditation is meditation while looking at the flame of a candle. Try to get a normal wick candle that is not too bright but comfortable to the eye while in a slightly dimmed room. You clear your mind and focus only on the candle flame. Try to only observe. Try to avoid internal discussions where you analyse the flame or think about the colours. Also do not let your mind wander to the past or think about anything but the flame you are presently watching. Try to be totally in the moment observing every dance, tilt, flicker etc. Total observation with no inner dialogue. This helps brings us into the "Now" with full awareness yet without judgement - one of the many goals of meditation. However, by being open eyed you avoid the deeper altered states that can occur with some closed eyed meditations.

Quote Originally Posted by Katusik

[/quote]

Katusik Guest
    Thank you again!

I will definitely try it. Just observe...watch. Sounds like something from Alan Watts lectures.

Interesting coincidence, I just downloaded his "Still the Mind", Introduction to meditation lectures in MP3 format and was listening to it when decided to check the astral dynamics forums.

You might want to take a look at Eckhart Tolle's, "The Power of Now". Pretty amazing stuff. And, the bonus for me (although not for everyone) is that it leaves out all the religious mishmash. Much easier to comprehend.

Katusik Guest
    Painterhypnogirl, thank you, I will definitely check this book out. Amazon reviews are kinda weak, it looks like that this book can push you in the right direction at certain times in one's life. I am currently reading Robert Bruce's self-defense book and after that MAP should arrive. Since MAP is printed in the States, it takes a month for my local metaphysical bookstore to get it , but it's ok, I really like them and would rather wait to give them some business, than order it online.

Alex, I also feel that I carry a lot of stress in my neck, shoulders and back muscles. How different is preparation and relaxation for trance meditation and AP? Is there a minimum how long should muscle relaxation take? I sometimes feel like my limbs become cold even meditating in a worm room, as if the blood flow was really really weak.Is there any indication (even subjective ones) that muscles are completely relaxed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast