Thread: Copy of Careers and Spirituality in ask RB

AstralCody Guest

Copy of Careers and Spirituality in ask RB

Hey Robert.

I hope all is well for you.

I had a question regarding careers and spirituality. Kind of a different kind of question...

Let's say for example you were a fireman, or a policeman, or a paramedic. Those are very high stress jobs... Do you think jobs that involve stress like that have an impact on spirituality? What if you were a very spiritual person and astral projected etc. Could you hold a job like that and still evolve spiritually with seeing all of the stuff those kind of jobs deal with? Since I was little I always wanted to be a cop. I am not going to go that route though I don't believe because I am a very gentle person and I can see myself more as a paramedic. (Once I get my anxiety under control) Will choosing careers like this make it harder for me to project?

What if I don't let the stress get to me? I used to volunteer for a fire dept (Still do sometimes) and I have seen things I wish I hadn't. After becoming very spiritual though I have a different view on this. I really don't think any of those careers would effect my spiritual progress but I wanted to ask you to hear your opinion.

Thanks a bunch Robert.
    -Cody
    Last edited by CFTraveler; 11th May 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Copy of Careers and Spirituality in ask RB

I just copied this topic and it already has 22 views. I don't know how that's possible.

But anyway, I copied it because I have a definite opinion about it, and as usual, feel free to ignore what I say.

Let's say for example you were a fireman, or a policeman, or a paramedic. Those are very high stress jobs... Do you think jobs that involve stress like that have an impact on spirituality?
    I think everything that you do has an impact on spirituality, and spirituality has an impact on anything you do. But I wonder how you define spirituality.
    To me, spirituality is that 'unseen' dimension in life, that brings eternity to time, cause to effect, and deeper meaning to anything that happens. It's not something you 'do', (unlike others believe) it's something you 'are'. You are (in the immortal words of Sting), a Spirit living in a Material world. Of course, this is not entirely true, you are also a Spirit living in a Spiritual world simultaneously, and I think this is where the 'do' fits in- Active spirituality is the way we 'see' the spiritual in everyday world. If you see (or want to see) Spirit/God in everything and everyone, you are 'being' spiritual, modalities are just the tools to bring you to this awareness. But then this is how I see it, of course.

What if you were a very spiritual person and astral projected etc. Could you hold a job like that and still evolve spiritually with seeing all of the stuff those kind of jobs deal with? Since I was little I always wanted to be a cop. I am not going to go that route though I don't believe because I am a very gentle person and I can see myself more as a paramedic. (Once I get my anxiety under control) Will choosing careers like this make it harder for me to project?
    I think being a cop may be harmful to your gentle nature because it'll either cause you psychological trauma (they do deal with scumbaggy people most of the time, I am friends with a retired cop who had to leave the job because he felt it was making him sick, they constantly deal with 'damaged' people and people who have been traumatized), but I don't think the damage would be to your spirituality- I think it would be to your psyche.
    My husband was a paramedic for a time (he did it as a volunteer when in college) and even though this is an endeavor who causes some trauma (one time he rescued a guy from a river, brought him back and took him to the hospital, where the guy later died- he was distraught (and a little angry) because after all the time he worked on him the guy eventually died, and he thought the hospital didn't work as hard on him as he had, for example). This kind of thing can also hurt you, but at least you rescue people and get positive feedback every once in a while, knowing that you are a positive force in the world feels good if you are spiritual, even if it gives you an opportunity to work on detachment.

What if I don't let the stress get to me? I used to volunteer for a fire dept (Still do sometimes) and I have seen things I wish I hadn't. After becoming very spiritual though I have a different view on this. I really don't think any of those careers would effect my spiritual progress but I wanted to ask you to hear your opinion.
    I think if you could be a fireman and continue to live your life in balance (between your life in the physical and your spiritual pursuits) you'll find that your spirituality enriches your career and your career enriches your spirituality.

But that's my opinion.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

It can be a struggle to balance high stress jobs and spirituality, I'll admit. I used to work as a CNA in a nursing home and the work environment was pretty toxic. Not enough care to go around, lots of elderly folks who had given up and were just waiting to die, co-workers who called in sick every week and snuck out for smoke breaks because they couldn't handle the stress-- it ended up being too much for me.

I wasn't a spiritual person at the time, but it still caused me to really question where I fit in the big picture. I suppose it was good in the long run, but at the time it was very hard.

As for public service jobs like fire, police, and EMS, most folks who select those career paths often need breaks to avoid burnout. Just be aware of the signs of burnout and take breaks as necessary.

AstralCody Guest

Good stuff... Thanks for the replies everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming90 View Post
    I used to work as a CNA in a nursing home and the work environment was pretty toxic.
    I had that same experience. I was working toward a degree in nursing, and got the CNA first (since it would be a while before I got the full degree; I figured I could do some part time CNA work). I did get the certification as a CNA, but I changed majors not long after. Being in a nursing home just broke my heart. So did being in an oncology ward, where I also applied for a CNA position. I'm too empathetic, and it just had a very bad effect on me.

I had a friend who was an EMT, and he had to quit because he kept seeing things that tore him up inside. Accidental (and deliberate) shootings, domestic violence, terrible car accidents that could have been avoided if the driver just hadn't been drunk, that sort of thing.

Most people get into a job like that because they want to serve the public, they want to help, but the emotional, spiritual, and sometimes physical burden it puts on you can be profound.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyWoman View Post
    I had that same experience. I was working toward a degree in nursing, and got the CNA first (since it would be a while before I got the full degree; I figured I could do some part time CNA work). I did get the certification as a CNA, but I changed majors not long after. Being in a nursing home just broke my heart. So did being in an oncology ward, where I also applied for a CNA position. I'm too empathetic, and it just had a very bad effect on me.
    I was also planning on becoming a nurse, but I backed out after quitting my CNA job. It seemed that the only two ways to deal with the work were becoming callous or being sad all the time, and I wasn't happy with either of those.