Thread: Life and Balance

1. Red face Life and Balance

Hey,

How is everyone? I sincerly hope you all are making great strides on your spiritual journey, wherever you are at. It's been a while since I posted last so I have quite a lot to talk about. Yay! It's getting pretty cold now, where i live. The woodfire heater is on just about every night, and even though my room is adjacent to the living room I get (especially, feet) cold enough that I go stand in front of the fire to get a big dose of heatness now and then.

Well among other things, I've been reading alot lately. I tend to read alot when I'm feeling tired and under preassure, sort of an escape mechanism. Reading marathon anyone? But I had the opportunity to come across two books that could help sort myself out, and bring some balance into my life.

Body by Science - Doug McGuff & John Little
    While I was originally put off by the marketing of the book (which claims to be a revolutionary workout blah, blah). After reading the description and reviews on Amazon, I was curious about how the book backed up its claims. The authors do a good job of citing actual scientific studies, In short the book conveys in detail the processes that take place in the muscles/body when provided with varying stimulus, the stimulus being the workout, and the adaptive response that takes place. The book puts forth a method of Resistance training at High Intensity that takes advantage of the way the body works, with a work out that totals 12minutes every week, over traditional aerobic exercise and multiple set resistance training. all in all a compeling read.

Tai Chi Chuan and the Code of Life - Graham Horwood
    I have a small affinity the far east (that being said, also middle eastern culture). I came across a small ebook teaching Tai Chi Chuan poses a while ago and I loved it, I felt calm afterwards. The practice didn't last though, as with somethings I wasnt in a frame of mind to take it on full time. But If it wasnt for that little ebook that got me interested in TCC, I would never have found this book. Here is an exerpt of the introduction.

In Tai Chi and the Code of Life, I will elaborate on the various styles of Tai Chi Chuan, exploring its roots in the Chinese philosophy of Taoism as well as describing the evolution it has undergone over millennia. To understand Tai Chi’s present form and function, we must comprehend the context for its development in the Orient, while simultaneously acknowledging how this ancient practice affects those who adapt it to their lives in the West. We will learn that Tai Chi Chuan can truly stand as an art and an exercise system for all of the residents of the “Global Village.”
    To help in this journey through time and space, I shall draw on parallel examples from both eastern and Western culture, medicine, and philosophy."..."Although originally fashioned out of Taoist philosophy to embody spiritual aspirations, Tai Chi was also meant to combine the fundamentals of fitness and health within a science of movement.
    I found this book particulary mind expanding. I didnt have any idea what to expect, The author draws many parallels between Taoist philosophy, the western perspective, the I Ching, Jungian philosophy?, Tai Chi, DNA. I've never really dug in and devoted time to understanding any spiritual system, always at the edges mopping up what i could find. But Im glad I took the time to read this, Its like a new dimension/perspective to the way I percive life.

I was talking about bringing some balance into my life. I just have this feeling that i need to find my center, some innerplace I can work from. I tend to spread myself very thin, then I get stressed when I cant support all the things that need doing. silly me.
    In regards to mindset, I seem to be all over the place. Its hard to explain, but I kinda struggle with holding together a congruent "Inner Sanctum?", like I'll just float away on some idea and if you tried to plot a pathway of the choices I took you'd draw a big squigly.
    I think that a combination of getting stronger/fit, Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Kung could help greatly, what do you think? or even what do you do to maintain balance in your life?

On another topic..
    As a missionary in China in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries,
    Wilhelm witnessed an event that took place during a catastrophic drought, which
    had lasted for months.

Catholics [were] holding their processions, the Protestants giving prayers, with the
    local Chinese burning joss-sticks and shooting off guns to frighten away the demons
    of the drought, but with no result. Finally the Chinese inhabitants declared ‘We will
    fetch the rain-maker.’ After a time from another province a dried-up old man
    appeared humbly dressed. His only request was a quiet little house somewhere, and
    there he locked himself in for three days. On the fourth day the clouds gathered
    the heavens opened with rain and even a great snow storm at the time of the year
    when no snow was expected, an unusual amount, The town was so full of rumors
    about the wonderful rain-maker that Wilhelm went to ask the man how he did it. In
    true European fashion he approached the rain-maker and asked: ‘They call you the
    rain-maker, will you tell me how you made it rain and even snow?’, the little
    Chinese said: ‘I did not make the snow or rain, I am not responsible.’
    ‘But what have you done these three days?’, ‘Oh I can explain that, I come from
    another province where things are in order. Here they are out of order, they are not
    as they should be by the ordinance of heaven. Therefore the whole country is not in
    Tao, therefore I also am not in the natural order of things because I am in a
    disordered country. So I had to wait three days until I was back in Tao and then
    naturally the rain came.’
    This story illustrates the principles of harmony with nature, and the effect that an
    individual can have on his or her environment if balance is achieved. These
    principles are utilized, albeit internally, in Tai Chi Chuan as well as in Feng Shui.
    This is an exerpt from Tai Chi Chuan and the Code of Life. I live on some property and for many months I've been helping to remove "noxious weeds" from the land, in AUS we dont have terribly good soil, mainly from the lack of seismic activity from the not so recent history to present day, and if grass wont grow then weeds naturally take up residence as they are colonising plants. We want to use more environmentaly friendly ways to manage the land rather than spray toxic chemicals everywhere, and eventualy restore the native flora as the land had been cleared when we arrived. From what I can discern the land isnt in balance, the introduced flora grow while the native cant get a foot hold, the soil lacks organic matter and nutrients, and there isnt enough rainfall. What I am asking is if anyone has thoughts or experience with creating inner harmony/balance (getting back in tao), to then affect the environment. Numerous times I have sat with the land, projected it love energy, but I have no idea what im doing.

Thanks for reading,

Phoenix

Blog Entries

Re: Life and Balance

Welcome back Phoenix.
    Reading marathon anyone?
    Yeah- I just read the trilogy 'before the end' to the Repairman Jack saga by FPWilson (fantasy-detective fiction), John's Spong's Eternal Life (religious/spiritual), Fred Aardema's Explorations in Consciousness, and I'm now reading Anthony Peake's The History and Science of the Out of Body Experience.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

3. Re: Life and Balance

I too, read a trilogy, the 'Night Angel Trilogy' by Brent Weeks.

Bruce Guest

Welcome back, though I couldn't read the whole posts but got enough idea.
    Some of the links are not responding. Can you fix the problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Welcome back, though I couldn't read the whole posts but got enough idea.
    Some of the links are not responding. Can you fix the problem?
    What links? I didn't see any, just book titles.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.