Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Developing Focus/concentration

Developing Focus/concentration

I'm practicing learning to be focused. Ever since I read the power of now, and have acually felt what it was like to be present I've been looking to discover how to do this.

I've come across many books and article that say "Mindfullness (Being present) is not a hour or 2 hour a day process, but a 24/7 process" This makes sense especially if you want to reprogram your mental habits to positive.

however, is it posslbe to over practice? I mean I know we have a "meditation/mindfull Muscle". Can it be over worked?
    It is my destiny to play an infinity of roles, but I'm not the roles I play, I am the Spirit that plays these roles

Blog Entries

Re: Developing Focus/concentration

It depends on who you ask. There are monks that practice mindfulness 24-7, but I wouldn't try it while driving a car. Or something that requires mindlessness, and yes, in life, sometimes it can backfire.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

've done this while driving, no problem. I don't have my eyes closed obviously
    It is my destiny to play an infinity of roles, but I'm not the roles I play, I am the Spirit that plays these roles

Blog Entries

Mindfulness and concentration are two different skills, different enough to be listed as two separate components of the Noble Eightfold Path in Buddhism.

Concentration/focus is practiced by bringing your attention to one thing and staying with it - be it the breath, be it another meditation object. When you stray from it, you bring it back. This is an activity that can be practiced on the cushion.

Mindfulness is built on top of concentration, but is different from it. Mindfulness is being present to your experience in general, and that is not limited to sitting.

One could say building concentration is exclusive, in that it peals away distractions till the focus of meditation remains. One could also say mindfulness is inclusive, in that it tries to extend that quality developed in concentration training to more and more things in life. While this may sound like these are opposites, they are in a way two sides of the same coin and build on each other. A mind that effortlessly abides in concentration can be much more mindful than one who does not.

Another analogy is this: Concentration means building the tool for observation. Mindfulness means putting this tool for observation into use. By developing your concentration, the accuracy of your observations can be increased. But the act of observing is different from the training that builds the foundation for observing.

as far as I can tell, to Concentrate/focus is to focus on the present. I might be wrong but everytime I am focused as present. I suppose anyway I want to develop my ability to stay present.

I got a book called inner game to tennis. The author states that " The mental peak of performance from self 2 (The greater conciousness) The Mind must be let go. However, The Mind can't simply be let go passively. It must be kept still by the means of focusing it upon something in the here and now."
    . I'
    Ever since I felt the power of being present, that is being fearless and happy I've been devoted to developing it more.

I assume, developing concentration be a catalyst for mindfullness. I use my breath mainly any sugesting on what I can do to really improve my concentration, I do deal with ADHD >>.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGega View Post
    I assume, developing concentration be a catalyst for mindfullness. I use my breath mainly any sugesting on what I can do to really improve my concentration, I do deal with ADHD >>.
    I would second Korpo's explanation of concentration being apart from mindfulness.. as he said concentration is a tool, which can be used for many different purposes. The best and most compreshensive guide to concentration imo is mouni sadhu's "concentration: a guide to mental mastery", which is a wonderful book. I think you can get a pdf online somewhere as it's quite an old book. The exercises are pretty tough, but they are the real deal if you're serious about developing concentration.
    Endurance, as everywhere, will be the measure of your success.

LAWL

I acually have that book, I have to be honest it's a bit hard to read considering it seems alittle too wordy for me, but then again reading awordy book would be a good practice of concentration

LAWL

I acually have that book, I have to be honest it's a bit hard to read considering it seems alittle too wordy for me, but then again reading awordy book would be a good practice of concentration
    The best way is probably to stay with the breath. Your breath is always in the present moment. It's also a good idea to really relax as much as possible. It actually helps to expand awareness which can help you focus more.
    ...but my words like silent raindrops fell
    and echoed in the wells of silence.

thATS what I do, but there are times I keep getting distracted

Blog Entries

there are times I keep getting distracted
    Everyone has this. It just takes practice, like many other things. The more you practice and exercise your power of concentration/focus, the more you'll be able to do it at will. It's just like doing sit-ups. The more you do, the more you CAN do.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.