I have experienced a couple of close deaths and they have been somewhat enlightening. With my mother who had experienced a prolonged illness the experience was amazing. In the days before the funeral my mother spent time with some of our spirit friends and they explained things to her and how we worked together, my mother knew we had interests in this area but was distant from it due to her more traditional background. While going through the funeral where there were many sombre faces and conversations appropriate for the occasion we (my partner and I) both picked up powerful feelings of joy and happiness which made it very difficult to keep the sombre tone in place and indeed, smiles off our faces.

One point of interest maybe, there were some of her possessions that she was keen that we dispose of, quite obscure items, one being a suitcase. In hind sight maybe it was creating an attachment she did not need to the physical. She eventually went on her way.

In short, I would say all being well, leave the actual passing to those that will meet him and attend to looking after the living through this period. One thing, be open to their presence if they choose to loiter. They may want to convey a message/state of mind sort of thing to set you at ease.