Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is this path worth the risk?

Is this path worth the risk?

Hi Folks,

I've been reading Robert's "Practical Self Defense Handbook".
    Wow. Heavy stuff. A number of questions and comments have arisen for me, and I decided to start this thread to get some answers and discussion happening if possible.

To my knowledge, I haven't had much in the way of psychic/spooky/metaphysical events happen to me. I've had maybe a handful of events, but for the most part, I've been living very much in the physical reality. So, a bit of a 'Noob'.

I have been reading about these kind of spiritual subjects for many years, but I have gotten to the point where I want to experience an astral projection...I want to 'prove' to myself that there is more to everyday existence, and I'm not on some wild-goose-chase. Additionally, I want to get closer to a true spiritual experience and evolve. With that in mind, about 6 months ago I began to meditate regularly, and now I'm reading about raising my energy and astral projection, in earnest.

However, reading about Robert's bad experiences (I haven't completely finished the book yet), and reading that by developing your inherent abilities to astral project and your psychic capabilities, you may be opening yourself up to attacks...this has given me pause!

I think it's a good idea to pursue spiritual and consciousness evolution, but I also have my family to consider. The thought that I might inadvertently be attracting negs into our home and our lives repels me. Reading about the frequency with which Robert has experienced negs and that his family and children were affected makes me very concerned.

So, not having had any obvious trouble like this in my life so far, I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue along this avenue of development. Life is challenging enough.

I'd appreciate any insights.

P.S. I have other questions in relation to this, but first things first.

Blog Entries

Re: Is this path worth the risk?

Short answer: Yes, in ways that cannot be described.

More complicated answer: The path chooses you, not the other way around. People love to think they chose it, because ego always thinks it's large and in charge, but it's not actually about you, or me, or anyone else. It's about the One (Consciousness, Self, God/dess, Brahman, Universal Awareness, whatever term you like), and when Awakening or at least increased awareness or expanded experience is what is to manifest, that's what manifests, and you, or I, or whomever is just the vessel for that.

You can go ahead and try to back out, and it might work (assuming the path was actually about dabbling, which is okay, and there's nothing wrong with that! It's a valid experience!), but I can tell you I spent many years trying to ignore or drown out or disengage or otherwise avoid my mystical side, and it never did work. Once I embraced it, I understood that I never did choose, never could have chosen. It is what it is, I am what I am, and, as a Buddhist might say, I am That.

This might be a little deep or weird sounding (or, heaven forbid, all guru-speak, yuck), but that's okay. My perspective is pretty far gone from the mundane these days, and even though I try to put things in terms people will understand, it doesn't always work. Just consider it food for thought, I suppose.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Hi ButterflyWoman! I really like your words.
    I don't think I'll ever back out of exploring this mystical stuff. Even though some things I read make me raise an eyebrow - or even both.

Although I am still under the illusion of my little ego self (heh heh!), I do like the idea that my deep interest is caused by the One consciousness. A powerhouse of goodness helping me along. Like the affirmation from the book - "I am powerfully protected".

However. As a relative 'greenhorn', I'm still heavily involved with pragmatism. I don't want to transform my home into some kind of Amityville because I started astral projecting. Ignorance may indeed be bliss if the alternative is exposing your kids to negs.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen anyway, even if someone wasn't exploring the astral and developing their psychic abilities, but I want to assess if I'm increasing the risks to myself and my family.

Blog Entries

I just want to comment on a few things:
    With astral projection specifically, you do not 'open' yourself to anything. I don't know how many times I've said it before, but I'll say it again and again- projecting is like putting on seeing goggles before jumping in a pool full of fish. You already are in the pool of fish regardless of whether you use the goggles or not. The only difference with the goggles is that you can see what's in the water.
    Robert's problems with possession started when he exorcised a demon from a child, and he told the demon to take him instead- and that is exactly what the demon did. This is a very specific thing that he was doing, you don't invite demons in by projecting, or any such thing.
    Even when you project and suffer a paradigm change, the only change that can happen is that you accept what you see as 'objective reality', and some don't, I believe what you experience in projection is only partially 'outside of you'- but that is another subject, that we can attack in another post.
    Most of the people that suffer negative entity problems do so independently from the practice of astral projection- in many cases, including my own, the neg attacks came first, and conscious deliberate projection was learned to help counteract or fight back.
    About the only people that I have known that have suffered attacks from 'doing something esoteric' were people that dabbled with Ouija boards or attempted to do black magic on someone else, and instead ended up with a problem.
    If anything, people with neg problems are often afraid to try, or end up learning a long time after having the problem, and once they've gotten over the fear, since they have the problem regardless.

-However- if you have a fear associated with OBE, you should try to deal with it before learning, because dollars to donuts you will manifest the problem so you can get over it- the subconscious (or superconscious) is merciless that way.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. If we are really sharing our existence with multiple realities, individuals and creatures, better to see than be blindfolded!

Very interesting, this aspect of the astral being partly objective and partly subjective; created by thought. I've read about it many times. A little difficult for me to imagine how anyone could 'navigate' such a fluid environment, and whether objective reasoning and decision making could be usefully applied. I'm sounding like a dusty professor heh heh, but I do want to make some practical use of my eventual explorations. Difficulties encountered in remembering the events concerns me too in this regard. But as you said...for another thread.

I don't have any specific fear about the astral, apart from a natural feeling of tension about the unknown. And of course my imagination sometimes presents possible scarey scenarios I might encounter. "Go away imagination, you're not helping!"

I would like to be reasonably educated about what I might be getting myself into though. And wow, some of the extreme stuff I've read about on this site and others, sound serious. Sheesh!

Seeing the occasional unsavory character or disturbing image while in the astral I can brace myself for - but bringing stuff back to everyday reality? No thanks! The whole family walking around with big packs of negs hanging off them.

I hadn't planned on using a Ouija board or practicing black magic though, so that's a positive.

P.S. don't mistake my lighthearted tone to mean I don't treat the subject with proper respect.

One additional aspect - in Robert's handbook, I got the impression that increasing your psychic abilities or 'sensitivities' could make you more susceptible to attacks - from here or beyond - and maybe make you a more desirable target for such attacks. Any insights regarding this would also be helpful.

Blog Entries

I can't speak for the handbook but I have read both editions of AD and even though he talks about negs and attacks he does say that he doesn't think projecting makes them see you- other practices, especially in the ones where you evoke and invoke may be different. It has been years since I gave the old edition a good reading, but in the new one he says that your fear is your biggest obstacle. I do suggest you scan the 'ask RB' subforum to see if he has mentioned this (or has been asked this) lately.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

I love your avatar and have more to say, but I can't just know. Stay tuned. I don't care what boards and threads we're interested in; we are a community and connected in more ways than we know. You are new and so welcome! As the English say, "Carry on!"
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Awesome, thanks eyeoneblack!
    Looking forward to hearing what you've got to say.
    Been seeing your posts around the place...and enjoying reading them.

I've been reading more of Robert's handbook.

The impression I'm getting now is that neg attachments can be caused by external (exposure to people and environments) and internal influences (core negative images and experiences), rather than astral projection itself.

However, the idea persists that being psychically 'sensitive' can expose you to greater risks or make you a more attractive target. I've heard that meditation, energy work and OBE can activate people's psychic senses.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast