I drive around a lot in a car and have music quite loud. At the same time if I have something on my mind that I need to work out maybe from a previous nights experience it's like Offending the thoughts I'm trying to bring through. Like blocking them out with no consideration . By considering my thoughts more important ( after all we don't know if they are coming from more than just us) ,
and turning the music low , we can Feel the rhythm of the music and work out our thoughts.
After all why have someone else's made up words fill your space. Yours are more important.
You interpret the words in a song and they develop into a picture in your mind. They may be romantic, they may be violent, they may be sad.
So what I'm saying is if you want to help development through the day and not just the time you allocate , turn it down but as Germain said listen to the music. Let your mind develop the thoughts not the song writers.
I agree 100% to Neil's advice about listening to what you hear upon wakening. ( because they are your thoughts not songwriters even if they appear in the form of a song)