Thread: The Doctrine of the Soul

Lightbulb The Doctrine of the Soul

The title is a contradiction in itself, as there is no doctrine or dogma of the soul. The quality of the soul and the knowledge which the soul contains within itself is, by its nature, opposed to all rigid doctrine of any kind.

The experience of the soul is entirely fluid and flexible. It is not subjected to the concretion of human thought, and it is the energy of improvisation and grace. This means that the qualities existing in the soul of a human are used wherever they happen to fit in. The life which the soul has chosen to live expresses this flexibility, even though there are always inner goals which are aimed to be met in this life; these goals being set according to the temperament of the personality.

The personality of a human being is the consciousness which directs their emotional and mental matrix. Your personality is the result of an integrated fusion between your physical body, your etheric body, your emotional body, and your mental body. You are the inner consciousness which has the power to direct your energy, your desires and your mind according to your will. However, because we are still like little children, it is often our desires and thoughts which dominate us, instead of us (the inner consciousness) dominating our desires and thoughts, and using them with deliberation.

The soul of a human being is the consciousness which directs their abstract-mental and buddhic-intuitive matrix. There aren’t suitable words to express the activity of the soul, except that it is divine. The personality belongs to the soul. The inner consciousness of the personality comes from the soul and that inner consciousness is the soul. You are self-aware because of your soul, not because of your personality. After a certain amount of personality perfection has been attained through human incarnation on Earth, a special and unique process begins to take place.

Throughout thousands of incarnations, the human soul has reaped the rewards of experience and wisdom. During these many life cycles, the soul sets up a connecting link with the personality. The nature of this connecting link varies hugely, and it is a personal and private link. Every person is linked to their soul, but there is often no conscious awareness of this link. A few people are dimly conscious of it, while very many are unconscious of it, and only an effort towards the light and love of the soul will allow them to be conscious of it.

Humans are ardent creatures, and if one puts forth a sustained effort towards the light, the same as one gives effort with other interests, the benefit one would bring to oneself and to others is immense. In time this link will expand to such a degree that the soul is able to bathe the personality in light and bliss, and eventually lift it up completely. The two points of consciousness are slowly drawn closer, eventually meeting and blending. It is clear that enlightened Beings such as Gautama and Christ (and many others) have achieved this blending of the human nature with the divine nature. This “lifting up” cannot happen until the personality vibration is close enough to the soul vibration. Since the soul vibration itself is ecstasy and compassion, it is clear that the personality must learn how to build in these qualities.

This is achieved through conscious endeavor. This is achieved through the joy of success and the pain of failure, with the learning of lessons from both.

This is the journey which you are here to enjoy and suffer.

The mass of humanity are slowly achieving soul-infusion on an unconscious level. This takes much too long. For the mass of people, it is right for them, but for those who are awake and hungry, it is a different story. We do not want to wait. We have already spent countless lives within the maze of suffering. You have felt attracted towards these interests for a reason. You know, deep inside, that there are more profound experiences to be had. And though you may still be attached to many worldly interests, there’s something else within you that is entirely different.

Anyone who has studied the subject understands that every human being is in possession of an internal and personal inner subjective mentality and framework. Soul-contact serves to make this subjectivity “come out” into the waking consciousness. Since the soul is subjective, we can infer that the true nature of reality is subjective. It must stand to reason, therefore, that Divinity reveals Itself in a subjective and personal manner. When you hear stories of religious people “touching God” it is because their own ardent devotion has enabled them to experience a brief moment of soul-contact. That type of person is naturally inclined towards devotion—their temperament is such that devotion comes easily and naturally to them, whether it is devotion to a person or an ideal. Yet, because their devotion was directed towards Divinity (through the idea of an all-loving God) it served as the avenue of approach towards the soul. Likewise, the truth seeker may experience the soul through the realization of a profound idea. The social worker may experience it through union with others. The artist may experience it through the creative act and the appreciation of beauty.

And yet, inside of every person, in varying degrees, there is a devotee, a thinker, a helper, a creator. You may be one single person, but you are composed of many qualities, and you share these qualities with your fellow persons. Although we all share the same basic humanity, the only authority a human should ever respond to is the authority of their own free soul and of their own reason. No one should ever respond to the ideas of another on the basis of authority. It does not matter how learned that person is; it is your own reason, your own common sense and your own heart that guides you.

Soul-love is brought into manifestation during many ordinary activities. Anything which you love doing and have a passion for is an expression of soul-love. The activity does not always matter. It could be philosophy, music, meditation, dancing, rapping, socializing, etc. The major quality of soul-love is enjoyment. You will find that people who are very good at what they do often end up sharing what they know, or otherwise use their art to benefit the world at large. This is another natural quality of the soul which is the principle of service. It is clear, therefore, how the mass of humanity are achieving soul-infusion on an unconscious level.

Dancing is particularly potent in aligning the soul with the body. When confronted with His Presence, David the psalmist of Israel danced before the Lord in pure bliss. One can see this working out through the present emphasis on partying and dancing. The soul penetrates to all levels, and it’s inevitable that soul-energy must first be misused before we may learn how to properly use it. Failure must first be experienced before the path leading to success will dawn. All failure and defeat contributes towards the momentum of victory.

On whatever level, the ecstasy of the soul is caused through identification with selflessness. Altruism is a Divine quality. It gives to others, simply because it enjoys giving. This is the reason why you are a conscious being at all, and this is the reason why there even exists anything at all! At some unimaginably high level, there was a Great Consciousness Who decided to sacrifice Himself and give life to lesser beings. We don’t know why He has decided to do so, and we don’t know whether there is a higher purpose in Him having done so.

All we know is that we are eternally grateful to be blessed with this divine heritage.

This realization makes me want to peel over and die from the utter beauty of it.

Re: The Doctrine of the Soul

Hi Drew94.

Thank you for Writing this post. From where do you got this information??
    I do recognize all you write ....so wonderful to read...

You really made me happy!!

Love
    ia
    Core Affirmation: I am loved and I am worthy,
    I am safe and I am free.
    I am powerfully protected.
    I am master of my body and ruler of my mind.
    By Robert Bruce

Blog Entries

Beautiful post Drew. Truly inspiring.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

In a dream, somewhere finding my way home

Lovely indeed.

In a way it sort of reminds me of a favorite quote, though the quote adds nothing not already said:

"Greater than the greatest good in life is to know who we are." ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thanks for sharing...

Soul
    Know Thyself

Beautiful Drew . I could read this over and over. I wanted to say this as soon as I read it yesterday but had problems logging in.( my mistake) Have been awake since 2.30 am trying to work much out and your post has really helped trying to understand the jigsaw. Thank you.
    Soul, this reminds me of what I picked up once whilst trying to understand a dream

" the mystery of BEING unknown" .

Hi all! Please post your immediate thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by susan View Post
    Beautiful Drew . I could read this over and over. I wanted to say this as soon as I read it yesterday but had problems logging in.( my mistake) Have been awake since 2.30 am trying to work much out and your post has really helped trying to understand the jigsaw. Thank you.
    Soul, this reminds me of what I picked up once whilst trying to understand a dream

" the mystery of BEING unknown" .
    Thank-you so much, Susan!! Words cannot explain how much I love and appreciate you!!

I know it's a mess but we can figure it out together. We are truly powerful within! It's a pity that power always brings destruction, however it's that highly useful destruction of all those old forms which we no longer need! The destruction of these old forms allows the birth of the new, the simple, and the lovely. There is simplicity in power, and there is power in simplicity. It's as if we move straight to the center. This is where our being stands. Suddenly, there does not need to be so many pieces, and the pieces that are left standing fall gracefully into place. Nothing can touch us at the center of our Being, nothing but new and ever-renewing love.

We share this center of ever-renewing love, and I'm so happy that we do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSail View Post
    Lovely indeed.

In a way it sort of reminds me of a favorite quote, though the quote adds nothing not already said:

"Greater than the greatest good in life is to know who we are." ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thanks for sharing...

Soul
    Hi Soul!

The most difficult lesson I've learnt has been to distinguish between the image I create of myself, and who I truly am. I find it easy to identify with ideas, with hobbies, with people, and with anything I'm engrossed in (I'm good at engrossing myself!). But if I look within, what do I find? Joy, compassion, detachment, and a sense of realness. I find who I am, and I find that we are One. I find love for awareness, persistence of light, and Presence of Identity. Your love is my love, and your effort is my effort.

Could I scream it out? Yes, but I'd blow your ear drums out too.

Here's a few words from Poindexter that resonate deeply:

"I have never been more sure of anything: I exist inside you and you, in I. I must say, there is nothing more hauntingly beautiful than the way your scars let in the light."

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    Beautiful post Drew. Truly inspiring.
    I truly appreciate your response! I am so happy that you found it inspiring! How do I inspire you more? You know that we have to wait now for someone who finds this post absolutely depressing!!

Quote Originally Posted by IA56 View Post
    Hi Drew94.

Thank you for Writing this post. From where do you got this information??
    I do recognize all you write ....so wonderful to read...

You really made me happy!!

Love
    ia
    Hi IA!

As far as book knowledge on the soul goes, I would certainly recommend books by Alice A. Bailey. She has written much on the higher self, and presents it in such a fashion which stimulates an attitude of seeking and looking for answers. This is incredibly useful for launching oneself into seeking the soul of humanity on a practical level. I think that to the truth-seeker I would recommend, in general, books by Bailey, Charles W. Leadbeater, Annie Besant, and Max Heindel. These are all along the line of Theosophy/Rosicrucianism/Hermeticism. There are sometimes small details which these authors haven't been accurate on, but there are also nuggets of spiritual truth, too. In fact, there are nuggets of spiritual truth in the writings of almost everyone who has ever written a book, but in the above authors, the spiritual truths are made obvious and clear.

This is the process of putting inner experience into clear, straightforward and concrete knowledge so that the mind may grasp it. Everything does not exist exactly how I've described it; words only serve to veil and confuse the truth. Take, for instance, the happiest and most blissful moment you have experienced, and imagine all the things which contributed towards this happiness. Now try to put that happiness into words alone. No matter how close you may get to describing it with words, it simply doesn't convey the essence of your happiness. Unfortunately this is something which cannot be avoided, and it has led to the wrong interpretation of many religious texts and the apparent failure of organized religion. I personally think that poetry is gorgeous in the sense that it attempts to overcome this obstacle. I think that poetry demonstrates clearly how beauty can be brought down onto the physical plane!

It's particularly important at this current time that all spiritual experience is interpreted through the mind, because humanity as a whole is at a crises point of becoming more mentally attuned in a conscious way. This involves a growing intelligence and a sensitivity to ideas. A growing mental orientation, brought about through conscious meditation, is the lifeblood of all effort. Humans as a whole are too emotionally oriented in the sense that we are governed largely by our desires and have little to no conscious control over them. The mind is a great balancing force, and without it, emotional energy is liable to be thrown around without purpose - loving fully that which appeals, while hating completely everything else. A growing mental-spiritual orientation is beneficial for all types of people, because it not only stimulates the mind and controls the extremes of desire, but it also causes the emotions to become full of aspiration, ecstasy and love. This love is the tolerant, tender and all-embracing kind, as opposed to the intolerant fanaticism of the zealot.

I cannot, however, claim that this is ultimate truth. The problem of truth is that truth is relative. It depends on where the person in question is standing. The only ultimate truth which exists is the truth that you personally find through your own experience and wisdom. You create your own truth. What helps one person may not help another. For example, the truth of a highly spiritual being is certainly an unfit truth for a little human. One cannot walk before they learn to crawl. It must always be a progressive development. One must first make progress on their own level and learn how to stand on their own; hence the difficulty at this time in spiritualizing the entire human race all at once. At the same time, however, the germ of truth exists in all.

There is also the case of two beings expressing different aspects of the same truth. In human terms, this is due to a difference in experience and upbringing, while in spiritual terms, the sense of difference tends to vanish because there's an extremely profound sense of intimacy and closeness with other beings. However, difference still exists on spiritual levels, and though there is a constant experience of "being inside" your loved ones, your own individual sense of identity is still retained. This is known as the experience of "isolated unity." One would say that the teaching of the Buddha is apparently different from the teaching of the Christ, and this is true. Both These Beings are in possession of Their Own individual sense of consciousness, and as a result They were presented with the task of lowering spiritual truth as much as possible in Their Own individual manner. However, it is clear that Their teachings are one and the same on a spiritual level, and apparently the Buddha Himself had said:

"The way you will come to recognize others like me, is in the extreme love that they will have for humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew94 View Post
    Hi all! Please post your immediate thoughts!

Thank-you so much, Susan!! Words cannot explain how much I love and appreciate you!!

I know it's a mess but we can figure it out together. We are truly powerful within! It's a pity that power always brings destruction, however it's that highly useful destruction of all those old forms which we no longer need! The destruction of these old forms allows the birth of the new, the simple, and the lovely. There is simplicity in power, and there is power in simplicity. It's as if we move straight to the center. This is where our being stands. Suddenly, there does not need to be so many pieces, and the pieces that are left standing fall gracefully into place. Nothing can touch us at the center of our Being, nothing but new and ever-renewing love.

We share this center of ever-renewing love, and I'm so happy that we do!!!

Hi Soul!

The most difficult lesson I've learnt has been to distinguish between the image I create of myself, and who I truly am. I find it easy to identify with ideas, with hobbies, with people, and with anything I'm engrossed in (I'm good at engrossing myself!). But if I look within, what do I find? Joy, compassion, detachment, and a sense of realness. I find who I am, and I find that we are One. I find love for awareness, persistence of light, and Presence of Identity. Your love is my love, and your effort is my effort.

Could I scream it out? Yes, but I'd blow your ear drums out too.

Here's a few words from Poindexter that resonate deeply:

"I have never been more sure of anything: I exist inside you and you, in I. I must say, there is nothing more hauntingly beautiful than the way your scars let in the light."

I truly appreciate your response! I am so happy that you found it inspiring! How do I inspire you more? You know that we have to wait now for someone who finds this post absolutely depressing!!

Hi IA!

As far as book knowledge on the soul goes, I would certainly recommend books by Alice A. Bailey. She has written much on the higher self, and presents it in such a fashion which stimulates an attitude of seeking and looking for answers. This is incredibly useful for launching oneself into seeking the soul of humanity on a practical level. I think that to the truth-seeker I would recommend, in general, books by Bailey, Charles W. Leadbeater, Annie Besant, and Max Heindel. These are all along the line of Theosophy/Rosicrucianism/Hermeticism. There are sometimes small details which these authors haven't been accurate on, but there are also nuggets of spiritual truth, too. In fact, there are nuggets of spiritual truth in the writings of almost everyone who has ever written a book, but in the above authors, the spiritual truths are made obvious and clear.

This is the process of putting inner experience into clear, straightforward and concrete knowledge so that the mind may grasp it. Everything does not exist exactly how I've described it; words only serve to veil and confuse the truth. Take, for instance, the happiest and most blissful moment you have experienced, and imagine all the things which contributed towards this happiness. Now try to put that happiness into words alone. No matter how close you may get to describing it with words, it simply doesn't convey the essence of your happiness. Unfortunately this is something which cannot be avoided, and it has led to the wrong interpretation of many religious texts and the apparent failure of organized religion. I personally think that poetry is gorgeous in the sense that it attempts to overcome this obstacle. I think that poetry demonstrates clearly how beauty can be brought down onto the physical plane!

It's particularly important at this current time that all spiritual experience is interpreted through the mind, because humanity as a whole is at a crises point of becoming more mentally attuned in a conscious way. This involves a growing intelligence and a sensitivity to ideas. A growing mental orientation, brought about through conscious meditation, is the lifeblood of all effort. Humans as a whole are too emotionally oriented in the sense that we are governed largely by our desires and have little to no conscious control over them. The mind is a great balancing force, and without it, emotional energy is liable to be thrown around without purpose - loving fully that which appeals, while hating completely everything else. A growing mental-spiritual orientation is beneficial for all types of people, because it not only stimulates the mind and controls the extremes of desire, but it also causes the emotions to become full of aspiration, ecstasy and love. This love is the tolerant, tender and all-embracing kind, as opposed to the intolerant fanaticism of the zealot.

I cannot, however, claim that this is ultimate truth. The problem of truth is that truth is relative. It depends on where the person in question is standing. The only ultimate truth which exists is the truth that you personally find through your own experience and wisdom. You create your own truth. What helps one person may not help another. For example, the truth of a highly spiritual being is certainly an unfit truth for a little human. One cannot walk before they learn to crawl. It must always be a progressive development. One must first make progress on their own level and learn how to stand on their own; hence the difficulty at this time in spiritualizing the entire human race all at once. At the same time, however, the germ of truth exists in all.

There is also the case of two beings expressing different aspects of the same truth. In human terms, this is due to a difference in experience and upbringing, while in spiritual terms, the sense of difference tends to vanish because there's an extremely profound sense of intimacy and closeness with other beings. However, difference still exists on spiritual levels, and though there is a constant experience of "being inside" your loved ones, your own individual sense of identity is still retained. This is known as the experience of "isolated unity." One would say that the teaching of the Buddha is apparently different from the teaching of the Christ, and this is true. Both These Beings are in possession of Their Own individual sense of consciousness, and as a result They were presented with the task of lowering spiritual truth as much as possible in Their Own individual manner. However, it is clear that Their teachings are one and the same on a spiritual level, and apparently the Buddha Himself had said:

"The way you will come to recognize others like me, is in the extreme love that they will have for humanity."
    Hi Drew94,
    Thank you for your reply, I wanted to hear your thought´s tha´s why my question was such as it was.
    I did find teachings of Jesus in 4:th grade and like 45 yrs later I did find Buddhas teachings and I recognized that it is the same energy ...so all spiritual teachings is bacily same energy but on different levels...or different Point of view..and it is needed ,,
    As are we in our development on different phase and different level...need many way´s to be presented.
    That is why we are so interesting bunch of creatures
    I love you all even I am not very diplomatic expresser of word´s and I have all the time to apologize for my hars way to express my knowing...I am just too forward...sorry for that...I know I am a Life observer more than a partisipant in it.

Love
    ia
    Core Affirmation: I am loved and I am worthy,
    I am safe and I am free.
    I am powerfully protected.
    I am master of my body and ruler of my mind.
    By Robert Bruce