Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you gain from enlightment

What do you gain from enlightment

So I am wondering what it is that you gain when you experience the falling away of the ego and reaching an enlightend state of awareness? I have read enough to know what happens and I know it's an individual thing but, when you are in this state or through it, what actually changes.

What does the change of perception do for you. If you had a choice again to not have experienced this, would you now say no?

EWO

Blog Entries

Re: What do you gain from enlightment

First, I want to say that I don't really like the word "enlightenment". I just don't. It has a crapload of social expectations and dogma and other stuff attached to it, to the point that it's nearly meaningless. It also implies that it's sort of "ta da, FINISHED!" but it's actually not that at all. It's just the beginning of a different way of experiencing life. I like the term "awakening" because it's like "recovering", in that it's ongoing. But that's just me.

Oh, and if you use the word "enlightened" people can get really rude about it. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswideopen View Post
    what actually changes.
    Perspective. That's all.

What does the change of perception do for you.
    Well, imagine you're standing on the ground in a back yard with a high fence. What can you see? Now imagine you're standing on the roof. NOW what can you see? Now what can you understand about the neighborhood? If you want to go further, imagine now that you're in a helicopter, hovering over the neighborhood.... and so on. Only add the fact that you can, in time, move between these perspectives pretty much at will. Oh, and make "the neighborhood" into "reality".

If you had a choice again to not have experienced this, would you now say no?
    No. The liberation is exquisite. And so is the view.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Even though the word 'gain' is tricky, I would say I gained a less filtered view of the world, or existence, or... something.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    Even though the word 'gain' is tricky, I would say I gained a less filtered view of the world, or existence, or... something.
    Yes, there isn't really anything like a "gain". It's a "loss". Loss of certain restrictions, loss of certain attachments, loss of certain stuff that you find out you don't and didn't need to begin with (though you thought you did). Less is more, and awakening is a subtractive process, not an additive one.

Though you could just as easily ask, "What do you gain by becoming lucid within your dream?" Nothing, really. Just a different way of experiencing the dream.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Great analogy or metaphors, depending on what way you perceive it (I am in practice)

Love the way you explained it for me.

Can I ask if after a state of more awareness say, do you feel more engaged with life in the tangible? I am asking because I am currently quite a hermit and I wonder if after reaching a more awareness state would I be more inclined to be the observer/dreamer/consciousness, or retreat even further? I understand again it's individual and I hope I am not prying too much.

Blog Entries

Can I ask if after a state of more awareness say, do you feel more engaged with life in the tangible?
    Errr... that's difficult to describe. The answer is a firm "yes and no". My reality issues from me, through me. I am part of all of it, and it is part of me. There's no arbitrary place where "I" stop and "it" begins. So in that way, the engagement is beyond intimate. But at the same time, this material "I" creature never cared all that much for life in the first place (had a fairly unhappy one for a lot of it) and so "I" choose to usually maintain some degree of being not-entirely-present. I just like it better that way. But it's really up to the individual point-of-consciousness that's doing the experiencing. Some, I've read, become powerfully engaged. It just depends on what you're interested in. I've always been a solitary creature. That hasn't really changed.

I actually try to maintain a balance between the subjective experience of "myself" and "my life" and the much more detached, observer type position. But, honestly, it's blissful for me to be able to just disengage from this whole "reality" thing regularly. I know from experience that it's very easy for me to slip into that observer state and pretty much stay there, but it's not the best option if I want to keep this life story thing going well. And I have things in my life story that pull me into it regularly (my kids, particularly, but other things, as well), so I don't get too lost in my solitude. I chose this life, a family, all of that, and I still honour my commitment to that. There is no obligation nor requirement. I stay and I act because it's what I choose to be doing.

I'm having to use words that don't really fit right, because it's not something that can be easily explained. The idea of "choose" is not a good match, but it's the closest I can get. And the idea will or free will... that's a misnomer, too, but there are no other ways to explain it, and I've never seen nor imagined a metaphor that was adequate.

Enlightenment is not a destination it is a state of being, a spiritual and psychological state. There are things that go along with this but if you are looking for this to be a dramatic change in the way you currently live or feel about your personal circumstances you maybe disappointed.

From my own experience I gained clarity. The habitual self talk just immediately stopped, certain thought processes that I repeatedly cycled through stopped. If you have a conditioned thought process that is tied to association with environments, objects, or activities then they will continue until you take charge and clear them out. There are many books and websites on NLP which will give you procedures on how to do that.

The more work you do on yourself to clear out thoughts that prevent you from enjoying life, having friends, going out in public etc.. the better you will be.

It is not healthy to spend all your time in meditation or in spiritual growth, sometimes it just happens in the moment without you really focusing much on it.

Clarity of thought and being able to see with a less cluttered lens the reality around you is a natural part of enlightenment. As far as other experiences or specifics with what it is like, the only word that really comes to mind is clarity, the rest is part of your own personal journey.

Also it is common to fall out of this state and you will have more experiences like this through out your life, some are brief and some stick around longer. Not everyone has the need to become a spiritual leader or live the life of a monk. I find it amusing when people talk about giving up their life and sometimes belongings to dedicate themselves to this thing called enlightenment.

I can share some of my own experience here, when realizing that I had obtained or was given this gift and after the initial "shock" of coming to the understanding of what this meant and how things have changed inside me. I no longer had the self-talk that was always there from my parents, immediate family and things I picked up earlier in life from who knows where. I saw and felt the barriers others lived within and how I used to live my life the same, having everything I experience be filtered through beliefs, self-talk negative or positive, other peoples views or opinions... I was instantly released from all this.

After all that realization wore off, there really was no difference in my personal situation, the same people were involved in my life. I had the same responsibilities as I had before and everything was pretty much identical to before my experience but this time it had a permanent change and effect in the way I perceive everything from other people, normal every day things and my own thoughts. But, the circumstances were not magically changed in my life. I did not instantly gain wealth, I still had to pay the electric bill every month, buy food, repair or replace things as they broke down. Life continued just like before but now I have clarity about everything and I don't live my life or perceive things through the psychological barriers and limits I had before this experience.

Actually it was quite a few smaller experiences that happened off and on through out my life and then the last one 3 years ago or so had a permanent effect where I like I said lost the negative self-talk, gained clarity in my perception of what is going on around me in everyday life. There were some psychic and spiritual developments that happened as well but that is really a individual experience unique to the person. Not everyone has the same gifts or the same level of ability within them.

Would I chose to experience enlightenment again if it was somehow taken away? Yes.

Why? Clarity of thought alone and not having my perception colored by filters I picked up along my life.

It is interesting reading the internet now and seeing mistaken understandings people have of various spiritual things. MANY talk from the experience of others without experiencing for themselves. Many mistaken interpretations and wrong thinking can't be corrected without first experiencing whatever it is people seem interested in but have little personal experience in.

Hope this was useful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyWoman View Post
    I actually try to maintain a balance between the subjective experience of "myself" and "my life" and the much more detached, observer type position. But, honestly, it's blissful for me to be able to just disengage from this whole "reality" thing regularly.
    Overtime I just integrated these experiences or perspectives. Being able to snap into the immediate now with one hundred percent lucidity and clarity is very useful especially with observing but having a more relaxed perspective most of the time is easier for my daily experience.

I discovered I fell back into old habits but being able to snap into or out of perspectives instantly is nice. When it comes to everyday life, I just decided that I am right here right now and whether I am that here in this life or somewhere else is irrelevant. Since I am here then I am going to be here and live this life. Other options I don't concern myself with.

...I'm sorry but I don't wish to have any stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyWoman View Post
    It also implies that it's sort of "ta da, FINISHED!" but it's actually not that at all. It's just the beginning of a different way of experiencing life. I like the term "awakening" because it's like "recovering", in that it's ongoing. But that's just me.

Perspective. That's all.

Well, imagine you're standing on the ground in a back yard with a high fence. What can you see? Now imagine you're standing on the roof. NOW what can you see? Now what can you understand about the neighborhood? If you want to go further, imagine now that you're in a helicopter, hovering over the neighborhood.... and so on. Only add the fact that you can, in time, move between these perspectives pretty much at will. Oh, and make "the neighborhood" into "reality".

No. The liberation is exquisite. And so is the view.

This is is a great way of explaining it , I like, I like very much. True and easy to understand, the toddler that controls my brain likes it.

Perception is all that changes I agree and gain a lot of self knowledge. But with those " small" changes you can create bigger changes. You can figure out a job that you truly like. Your old friends and family will still be there but you will also be able to know who you truly like and who to be friends with In the future. Stressful situations will not be so bad...or they will , but for a shorter time . It might even make you want to move to another country ! And with that comes new places,food,people and ideas.
    I just wanted to add this because it was starting to look like "perception" was actually a small change. Perception changes the world.

Of course this is all within my personal experience. Like Terry said some people might "add" other people's experiences. It does not really bother me however.

Something that I wanted to say is that the "road to enlightenment" is a slightly uphill road and you can continue going up and up and so it is said that "enlightenment" is not a place or goal, It's the path in itself . You continue to learn new things as you go.
    However I believe it goes both ways...if you stop , you might slowly start rolling back. What you have learned up until now you won't lose it...you will simply "forget" a little of it. So I believe it is actually possible to go back to going back to being a "normal" person. But as others have already pointed it out....there is no actual reason a person would want to go back.
    What is a "Signature"? Oooh I see now...

Blog Entries

Strange that this thread is active again. I had a reality-altering epiphany yesterday, and I'm still reeling from it. I could put it into words, but it would sound trite and I wouldn't be able to communicate the profound nature of it, anyway, so I won't try. Reason I'm posting is to draw a line under the notion that awakening is ONGOING. It is continual. The revelations and epiphanies that have thrown me into existential uncertainty over the years are fewer and farther between now, but when they do happen, they're very deep now (because all the "shallower" stuff has been exploded already), and quite fundamental. In time, I figure it will slow down to where these things happen rarely, not because of some great achievement of wisdom or whatever, but because most of the attachments and misunderstandings and beliefs will be gone, and there's just not a lot left that has to be dissolved. But I don't think it's ever "done".

Something else in this thread that I want to comment on, is that I am still finding it tricky to maintain appropriate balance between being present in my material reality and interactive with it, and being detached (sometimes very detached). There IS a balance, there must be, but it's easy to get drawn into the day-to-day goings on your material story, and it's also easy to drift away into blissful detachment where you're just "above it all". There is, as Buddha said, a "middle path" (I'm paraphrasing, and taking that somewhat out of context, I know, but the sentiment is applicable), and I'm still trying to find that, and remain on it. If you prefer a more Westernised version of the sentiment, to be "in the world, but not of the world" as written by St Paul.

I'm kind of hoping that my latest reality-shaking understanding will, when it settles, put me on that middle path and that I'll be able to remain there (unless I have some reason to shift awareness around).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast